New Xbox Live Gold Pricing

Gamercide

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason I'm salty: They freaking canceled 1 vs 100 Live which is the ONLY thing I use Live for, the only real and true PERK that I saw coming my way each time I played it. And they canned it like ******. Why?! What's going to replace it? Certainly not Hulu+, I'm SURE I'll have to pay extra on top of Live for that 'privilege'.

And yes I paid in advance for a few more years of Live, I'm pretty much a lamer for doing that. I shouldn't have. I should have let it expire in solidarity.

good god people. you think it's never going to change? you don't think it costs ms more to do the same ****, let alone MORE ****?

it doesn't matter if you don't use it, it's in the price. some of the things they have i love, some i never even used. if it's not worth it, just stop paying for it. why the biterness? over the inevitable?

But then why are the likes of Ireland charged more for Xbox Live than the US/UK?

We don't get Last.fm, tv show rentals etc. so no deals which cost money are being made on our part.

Usually when competition is introduced which offers the same service for free, or cheaper (PSN), Microsoft should reduce their prices? It's not exactly like their operating costs have sky-rocketed in the past 2 years in the face of a global recession

Usually when competition is introduced which offers the same service for free, or cheaper (PSN), Microsoft should reduce their prices? It's not exactly like their operating costs have sky-rocketed in the past 2 years in the face of a global recession

Kind of worked in reverse, didn't it? PS3 offering a paid tier for their Plus services.

Problem is, PSN is completely inferior to Xbox Live. There are very few exclusives that are worth getting, their services they offer are overall MORE expensive to get everything Xbox Live has, and it just flat doesn't work half the time.

I'm no Xbox fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, I have all 3 systems and pay for PSN+ and Xbox Live Gold but I only use one of them regularly. The one that works.

Problem is, PSN is completely inferior to Xbox Live. There are very few exclusives that are worth getting, their services they offer are overall MORE expensive to get everything Xbox Live has, and it just flat doesn't work half the time.

I'm no Xbox fanboy by any stretch of the imagination, I have all 3 systems and pay for PSN+ and Xbox Live Gold but I only use one of them regularly. The one that works.

Having a PS3 also, I can agree with Spawn. Their matchmaking services aren't as good, it's not as easy to just "jump into multiplayer" with most games, and the system doesn't even come bundled with a proprietary headset (even though MS's are crap, it still comes with the system) which means that a lot of people do NOT talk or communicate online.

Oh yeah, and no cross game chat unless you pay $10 a month? No thanks.

good god people. you think it's never going to change? you don't think it costs ms more to do the same ****, let alone MORE ****?

it doesn't matter if you don't use it, it's in the price. some of the things they have i love, some i never even used. if it's not worth it, just stop paying for it. why the biterness? over the inevitable?

i like this

ps: cow how much a year do you pay for xbox live?

oh /./ when I'm sopber I'll tell ya .. ThaTA'S WHY!!!!

oh lord .. I must have hit the sauce a little harder than I thought last night. Sorry guys.

Anyways I think it was PK that said "everything is increasing in price" and he's right about that, and honestly for the service provided by Xbox live this 10 dollar increase really isn't that much. It really does seem odd that they are doing this now considering that Sony started charging $50 bucks for their service and having been offering a better paid experience for people like myself that don't play a lot of games online. There's some deals on select games and they also offer some free games as well. And not just crappy games you never want to play. Wipe Out HD and Critter Crunch (a fun puzzle game), and the online magazine Qore are well worth the cost of their subscription. I haven't really noticed any kind of games sales on Xbox Live that are better for Gold members vs. Silver members. I could be wrong (and likely am) since I haven't really looked into buying anything for the Market Place in a long time. Plus Netflix has been a little spotty for us on the 360 lately. It keeps disconnecting and starting the movie back over at the beginning. It's annoying and usually makes us switch over to watching Netflix on the Wii. I also have a Roku Box in the bedroom and that thing has been fantastic, so I'm considering getting a second one for the living or the Boxee Box when that is released. So I might never us Netflix on the 360 again. Plus I hardly ever play games online or chat with my friends while they play. Last time I played with anyone here I think was when Poger and MWB jumped into a Borderlands game with me .. and that was months ago. It just seems that the Gold account is somewhat useless for me now. I don't mind the price increase but it seems like I'm paying for a service I'm not using.

I know the price increase doesn't really affect me here but if it had jumped up its not a huge issue if it was £10 extra for the year.

Right now one month on my phone contract is roughly the same as a years worth of LIVE and I get a heck of a lot more out of LIVE. Put simply how many other hobbies cost £40 a year for membership that's 24 hours a day 365 days a year? I wonder how many people complaining have gym membership that they signed up for last Christmas and pay for every month without using? As someone much wiser than me said 8 years without a price increase is almost unique. If MS had raised the price incrementally in line with inflation I think it would have ended up much more than what the increase is.

I know that some people complain about things not being done, modders etc not being banned but where do they think that MS is going to get the money from? Hardware sales are notorious for making little margin and its the LIVE subscription that keeps the servers running, people employed to maintain them, do the updates and critical tests etc.

i like this

ps: cow how much a year do you pay for xbox live?

€84/$108 but that's because I'm on a monthly subscription. A year sub is €60/$78

Also, the Xbox Division posted a $165 million profit in the first 3 months of the year, much of that driven by Xbox Live Revenue with Hardware shipments down 12% AND including whatever fees Microsoft might pay to Twitter, Facebook, Last.fm, Netflix etc. so that argument hardly works.

Microsoft sees nearly a 65% profit on Live after production costs, analysts said, meaning the company will see a hefty $650 million margin on Live. And it appears the service is growing at an incredible pace, with revenues up as much as $600 million (depending on the analyst estimate) compared to fiscal 2009.

http://xbox360.gamespy.com/articles/110/1104553p1.html

While I hate the idea, you have to admit, a business is a business to make money. It's not a charity. MS didn't make Xbox Live what it is to give it away to people because Bill Gates is a "nice guy".

So, while I have strong feelings AGAINST the price hike I have to remind myself that they are a business.

I'm not against the price hike I just find their timing to be rather odd. I like to pretend it's because of Kinect coming out and with many users getting onto that might be a bit of an overload to their servers and they want to be able to maintain the same quality they have been. It's just with Sony's new Playstation Plus, rumors of Nintendo charging for the service, TV sets that have built in Widgets that offer the same services like Netflix, Flicker, Facebook, whatever Apple is doing today with Apple TV, Google TV, Roku and soon to be most awesome Boxee Box, increasing the price is just not a good business plan, when your competition is about to launch many of the same services. For a long time if I wanted to stream Netflix on to my living room TV the 360 was the only choice I had .. now .. hell depending on the next couple of months I'm going to have 4 maybe 5 different devices to use and I'll likely go with the simplest one, and because how I have my 360/other game consoles hooked up it can get to be a bit of a pain. I don't mind hitting a few extra buttons to turn things on/off but Tam hates it. She wants to hit ONE button and have everything there. This might be the last year I have a Gold account with Microsoft.

Archived