Minecraft Classic

PeeKnuckle

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took the server down for a bit to upgrade some hardware. I've had it running off an old IDE drive for way too long now. It's running on a SATA II drive now. Hopefully that will be a noticeable difference in access and loading times. If I can come up with another 500GB drive I'll likely RAID them for further performance.

I'm with you, Dat. He's made a mint off of his alpha game. So much has been broken from the start, and he barely even addresses them. If it was free beta access for a limited time, I wouldn't feel right saying anything. But I and everyone else, paid our hard earned money. All he seems to be doing, is entering contests and flying all over the world.

Getting pretty tired of stuff like this.

"I need rest! (technically food and beer) I’ll finish the update tomorrow instead.

I’ll add crouching, which will prevent you from walking over an edge, to make up for the late release. :D"

When last night, he said this.

"I’ve got TWO meetings today despite me trying hard not to have any at all, so the Friday update will probably happen at around midnight my time." And a bit later "[edit:]

I think the meetings got cancelled! :D"

He made it sound like he was too busy, then he wasn't. So, instead of coming out with the update like (ab)normal, he pushes it back again.

HE KEEPS ADDING THINGS! Go back and fix all the bugs in the things already in the game. Or, I don't know, address the problem with so many not being able to play a game they paid for.

*sigh* At least he acknowledge some of the texture modders in the blog. So maybe he'll work on support for me textures. Or at least fix something.

If Rock, Paper and Shotgun (they use Painterly Pack) hadn't mentioned it in their blog that Notch has been tweeting about, I doubt he would have mentioned the modders at all. He's driven by celebs and sites speaking well about him. Finish the product, then soak in all the accolades. He's finished one game for a contest, and is already working with someone on another. Meanwhile, Minecraft gets one or two things semi weekly.

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy the game. I want it to do well, I really do. Just want it given the attention it deserves.

lol Now Rock, Paper and Shotgun is using the Doku RPG texture pack - http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/09/17/minecraft-mine-the-gap-day-4/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29

That's awesome. Maybe they'll mention no animated water and get Notch to get on it straight away.

Well, as foreseen, minecraft.net has finally went down hard. The servers are overloaded and he's taken basically everything down. My game won't update atm and it will be slow for a while I suspect. My server has user verification on right now so you will NOT be able to connect until he fixes this. If you really want to play this weekend I'll backup everything and turn verification off. Just let me know.

Poor foresight on his part to not allocate a chunk of that money to new servers sooner, when the game requires a connection to play and has REQUIRED updates so frequently. Oh well, hopefully when his help gets settled in they can take care of the stuff in a more timely manner.

Here is a possible fix for all of the people having black screen issues, especially when the game is first launched:

Go to C:\Documents and Settings\[your user name]\Application Data\.minecraft and delete everything in that folder except saves (unless you don't care to keep any of your single player saves).

The game will restore any necessary files when it updates the next time you open it, and the problem should be fixed.

If someone tries this and it works, I guess I'll make it it's own thread so other Minecraft users who can't play their game will see it. It seems to have worked for me, but I haven't played any multiplayer yet to see if it's doing it there.

Archived