Impulse buy

Pogre

Untitled-92.jpg

I know there are probably some mixed feelings on this, but I think it's a sexy beast.

I have an Elite and a little stack of games I could trade and maybe get this bad boy relatively cheap. I don't mind trading my stuff in. This is what I've done every time they come out with the next gen consoles. Now I know this isn't really "next gen", but it looks like it might be a while before there is one. What say you guys? Go for it?

Well crap. I tried to make a poll, but it didn't show up when I posted. I was thinking maybe if I could get it for under $100, then I might just do it. This is my third replacement Elite, and it's the loudest out of the nine total 360's I've sent in for repair and/or had replaced. That, and the warranty is almost up on it too. If she goes down again, it'll cost me a $100 bill anyway.

My son wants one too. He tell's me "dad it's sexy and i want it" lol. But the question is. Is this a newer version? i mean, are we in for the "Red Lights of Death" with this model too?

I think we'll have to wait and see unsure.gif

That's the million dollar question. I would certainly hope with this redesign that they would surely have thought about past issues, and did some more extensive testing.

"Whisper quiet"... :wub:

At this point, Kinect doesn't do anything for me, so that's not really a selling point. I just called Gamestop, and they're not in stock yet anyway. It might be a few days before they are. Right now through Sunday, I can get $85 for my Elite with controller, plus I have 14 games I can part with. A few of those I should get top dollar for, which would bring me REALLY close to my goal of getting it for under $100.

At this point, Kinect doesn't do anything for me, so that's not really a selling point. I just called Gamestop, and they're not in stock yet anyway. It might be a few days before they are. Right now through Sunday, I can get $85 for my Elite with controller, plus I have 14 games I can part with. A few of those I should get top dollar for, which would bring me REALLY close to my goal of getting it for under $100.

Craziness! Try to sell that beast on craigslist/ want ads with a game bundle and I guarantee you can get enough to buy the new system outright. It's at least worth trying. Don't let Gamestop eat the profit.

I want it, I really do, but there is one huge dealbreaker for me:

• External Xbox 360 hard drives and memory units are NOT compatible with the new Xbox

PFFFT! Seriously MS? I keep my profile on a 512MB card so so I can bounce around from console to console. I mean, I suppose I can throw it on a USB stick, but reading the above makes it sound like even the USB mem sticks won't be supported.

I will have to admit when I first heard about it I was OMG I want it!! It looks cool but I stopped and asked myself is there anything wrong with my current box? Nope not really. Just a little noisy at times but tolerable. I am finding it hard to give MS any more hard earned cash for another 360. This would be my third if I did so. I would rather put any of that money towards some games I really want instead.

I say wait if your box still works and you can do what you need to do with it. This new design has not been in the field yet. Who knows what problems this one might have? I would wait a couple of months and see if there are any problems that come up.

If you really have to have it I would make an auction on ebay or something on craigslist for your stuff. A system with 14 games sounds like one hell of an auction. I think you could get more than what Gamestop is going to give you.

I'll get one at some point in the next 6 months i think. I mean, the console I have now is running decent, but its only a matter of time before death. Been through a couple already, and besides all that, I want the bigger hard drive, more usb ports, wireless n, and last, but definitely not least, hdmi port.

• 2 weeks later...

I pre-ordered one. They should have another shipment within a week. I traded a stack of games for which I got $120, and used that for the pre-order. I still have my Elite, but when I pick up the new one I'll take my Elite in and transfer the data to the new one. This is what I'll get for the Elite:

$100 for my core unit with cabling.

$25 for the wireless controller.

$40 for my 120g HDD.

With the games, that totals to $285, so $15 out of pocket plus tax. That's as good as, or better than most of the prices people seem to be getting on eBay and Craig's list, and the games I traded, I haven't even touched for at least six months. For a few of them, it's been over a year. Not too bad in my book. Hopefully by next Friday I'll be unboxing my new 360! yahoo.gif

Archived