Hashtags: the new ellipsis, or the cancer of modern online language.

http://gizmodo.com/5869538/how-the-hashtag-is-ruining-the-english-language

Pretty much says it all.  Soonweballtalkinglikedisbecausewhohastimeforpropergrammarandfullwords.  Sometimes I hate the internet, and kids these days.  First hashtag yolo commenter in this thread dies.

Must. resist. urge. to. hashtag. jokingly!

I totally agree with you though Kevin.  I never got into Twitter or any of that, and I don't use Facebook.  A hashtag should be a representation of something numerical as intended, not this stupid shorthand shit.

Also why is there two fucking seperate wiki pages for "Number Sign" and "Hashtag".  THEY'RE THE SAME FUCKING THING.  *sighs*

I never got into twitter much either and I HATE this stupid hashtag thing. The way I understand it is it started as a useful way to flag things for search results or whatever. But people took it to all new lame ass levels trying to be funny. I see it all the time on facebook. When I see it I am almost embarrassed for them lol.

The point is that the last bit could have been another sentence or merged.  How many different tags are there now?  #Trevor #TrevorPhillips #GTAVTrevor and junk.  I guess as a space saver for the character limit it makes sense.  But the internet ruins grammar when you're limited or impatient in your writing.

Or, it makes it pop out because now it's a link that is searchable.

I promise you that if I hadn't of put that as a hashtag, no one would have favorited it or retweeted it. They would have scanned right over it. I know, because I do the same thing. It's just what most people do when you follow a ton of people. Especially game industry people that mostly promote over Twitter.

Yeah that I get.  As far as it's original purpose, the hashtag does what it was meant to.  In the OP I'm talking more about the rampant misuse of it, and throwing it in everygoddamnwhere to try to be cool or witty.  Just like how the ellipsis has been altered into something of a dickish response (or lack thereof).

I think hashtagging is okay. It's for seeing what is trending. It's great for finding out how popular something is in comparison to something else as far as Twitter, G+, and Facebook. 

#hashtag

Archived