Dark Souls Discussion

ThermoNukePanda

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am interested big time, I told pk to get it when the price droos so we can play together im waiting tho cuz I heard there is connection problems.

Connection problems and you can't really invite a specific person to play with you, plus no party chat or in game chat(though I heard there is a roundabout way to find a person).

I want to get it but don't know when I will, saving up for a new PC and already missed Dead Island and Deus Ex HR.

Im about 75 hours into it so far. Connection issues aren't TOO bad. The same with Demons Souls, this game is supposed to make you rely on strangers and ghosts to help you. This is why they do not want people using Party Chat. For some reason though, Private Chat still works.

Apparently there are a few servers at the moment which I feel they really need to condense. If I coordinate with someone I generally don't have a problem getting together with them and having them summon me or me summon them. There is a little time lag from when I put my summon sign down though before they can see it. Sometimes the summon will "fail", but they can just re-click my sign and do it again. It's not a big deal IMO.

Also I've figured out invading other people's worlds and how that works best. I have gotten a few rage messages from people though because I usually invade their world completely naked and with this giant dragon tooth hammer thing. I win about 80% of the time and it's pretty funny.

Great game though. I love that there is no loading screens what so ever. It's incredible how large of a world it is without loading screens. Can't wait to do New Game +. It gets harder every time you start a new game.

@Dat

There is a lot more to it than just "surviving". There is a ton of exploration. There are NPCs scattered around the world and some of them do some strange things if you leave them alive for too long (note, it's generally NOT a good idea to kill NPCs though). A bunch of different merchants to visit (and I'm raging now because one of mine died..... an important one. LoL) There is definitely a story but it's not a story that is "told to you" if you know what I mean. You're not going to be sitting there listening to NPCs ramble on or get stuck in lengthy conversations.

The gist of the story, from wiki, is:

"In the founding of the world, dragons held sole dominion over the world. Eventually, The Fire of Lords came into being, along with the human race. Four beings: Nito (an undead), Gwyn (a knightly lord), a sorceress, and an elusive pygmy harnessed the Fire of Lords to combat the dragons, eventually overthrowing them. Since then, a disease known as the Darksign has begun to afflict the beleaguered human race, turning them into undead Hollows.

The main character is undead, but still retains knowledge of their humanity."

So yeah, you're undead and you have to figure out how to fix the world and stop everyone turning into "hollows".

Oh yeah, and of course there is the co-op/invading stuff too. It's an interesting game for sure.

I think that would sway my opinion the most. I like the concept but if I'm playing solo I don't like the idea of random people jumping in screwing with me.

Same here. I also loathe that there is no pausing, even in single player, and even when you're not connected to the internet.

• 2 months later...

Well, I bought it, and played about an hour so far, starting as a wanderer(decided against looking for a guide as to what is the easiest class to use) and died about 6 or 7 times. Kinda just kept getting to greedy with my attacks and getting stuck in between several skeletons. Also ignored a message that warned of death and went down a stairwell to be met by a knight with a huge club thing, lol.

Well, I got stuck on the taurus demon on the bridge and just pretty much building up all my souls being dropped there until I finally died on the way back, so I decided to just farm and on my way back to the bonfire I got invade, I tried to fight the guy but my strong attack only died 7 damage, to which I responded with **** THIS GAME and rage quit.

Well, I had no idea the reason why I got invaded was because i went into human mode, game is kinda terrible at explaining things after all. Also, quick questions, how do you use magic(or is that class restricted or do I have to find spells or something....?) and how do you aim with crossbows/bows? I don't want to use any guides but damn is it so unlcear.

You got to use their wiki, dude. There's SOOOO MUCH to that game. Find out why people pour xp into vitality or whatever. Why some choose a seemingly innocuous weapon to use, etc. Some will grind mercilessly for one weapon and XP, just so they can stun lock people they invade. The game is crazy, dude. lol

You should watch my buddy Z play it sometime on his stream. You'll learn a metric shit ton about the game. http://www.twitch.tv/psmtv Watching his archives will help, too.

http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/

The invasion system is utter nonsense, and should have an option to be disabled IMO.

There are a few things about Demon Souls that bothered me. It's not so much hard because it's difficult (though it is kinda), just a huge pain that stuff like, all your souls, and therefore progress for the last hour or so, can be permanently lost.

Archived