The Walking Dead

spawn622

I think it's a tip of the cap to Sensory Memory. I liked the fact that the zombies have almost an echo of memories and seem to act on them without thinking. Romero used this idea a lot in the dead series of his(zombies at the mall). Made more sense to me than them just shambling about.

I loved this episode and the way this material is being treated seriously. It seems like the story will be the star and not just aimless zombies and gore. I for one think this is going to be a a great thrill ride.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems like the story will be the star and not just aimless zombies and gore.

This, and I'm sure Ban will agree, is the best part of The Walking Dead. The zombies are literally like the rain, snow, or a really hot summer day. They just are. They aren't the main focus of the story by any means. The story boils down to a study in the human spirit and the survival of that spirit in the most dire situation storytellers have come up with to date.

Just watched it a bit ago. I really liked it, and I'm looking forward to more. I usually have to give a series a few episodes before I judge it because Pilots are notorious for being bad and full of too much 'set up' . However, this one was great and has me hungry for more.

I like it. Good stuff. But gdog and cletus or whatever as names seems a little uninspired.

Yeah, those dudes weren't in the comic. But I can already see where this is going, as a hacksaw was clearly dropped by GDog.

I'm positive you'll see Cletus again, minus a limb. Makes for a good villain. :)

The new characters really did feel cliche and I could tell that Darabont didn't direct the episode. That said, the overall story of the episode was good. Even the additional "non-canon" characters' story seems like it will be enjoyable. The fact that there will be consequences for leaving Michael Rooker's character on the roof gives the feeling of a little more dread. Darabont and Kirkman have said that Shane will be around longer than he was in the comics, so I'm willing to bet Michael Rooker's character will be the one to get it from a certain kid. Trying to to be too spoilery.

Overall it was another strong episode and I love how Glenn is pretty much the same as he was in the comics. Snarky and a real smartass. They did accomplish, yet again, something I thought wasn't possible. I freaking HATE Shane and Lori more now than ever.

The new characters really did feel cliche and I could tell that Darabont didn't direct the episode. That said, the overall story of the episode was good. Even the additional "non-canon" characters' story seems like it will be enjoyable. The fact that there will be consequences for leaving Michael Rooker's character on the roof gives the feeling of a little more dread. Darabont and Kirkman have said that Shane will be around longer than he was in the comics, so I'm willing to bet Michael Rooker's character will be the one to get it from a certain kid. Trying to to be too spoilery.

Overall it was another strong episode and I love how Glenn is pretty much the same as he was in the comics. Snarky and a real smartass. They did accomplish, yet again, something I thought wasn't possible. I freaking HATE Shane and Lori more now than ever.

I enjoyed the past episode, but I'm on the fence with the character on the roof. I'm not a big fan of stories that tend to go back and forth. Which is what he felt like. Intentionally filler for a few episodes. Everything seemed pretty rational right up until they decided to not kill the obvious crazy guy. Nothing worth fretting over, but I just get irritated with things that don't make sense. Had they killed the guy they could still have had the tension between the brother character when they got back. ie, lying about it, him finding out etc.

Even so, I'm enjoying it, and I think it's a series I can get into for sure.

To me it's been pretty decent so far, but the thing I wish it had was good music. There is hardly any and I just mean instrumental music. I like shows with good tunes in them, Lost, BSG, Jericho, Prison Break etc. I know maybe they are going for some sort of feel but I just wish the music stood out more.

Question about the series: Do we ever learn where the outbreak came from? I know most zombie films never make it apparent where it started, just wondering if the comics ever touched on that.

To me it's been pretty decent so far, but the thing I wish it had was good music. There is hardly any and I just mean instrumental music. I like shows with good tunes in them, Lost, BSG, Jericho, Prison Break etc. I know maybe they are going for some sort of feel but I just wish the music stood out more.

Question about the series: Do we ever learn where the outbreak came from? I know most zombie films never make it apparent where it started, just wondering if the comics ever touched on that.

The minimalist music is by design. Many feel the same as you do about it GG. I dig it though. In the tense moments it gives it a little more of a downer feeling and that is what Darabont was/is going for.

The comics are still going, but as far as I can remember (Been a while since I read through them.) they have yet to touch on the origins. In all honesty, the story really isn't about the infected. They are just background noise for the most part. It's mainly about the characters. With that in mind, I doubt they will explain the reasoning for the outbreak. With only 6 episodes this season, I doubt they would even try to explain it. And the confirmed second season will only be 13 episodes. We shall see I guess.

Nope, never. None of the characters care about the origin of outbreak either, they just want to live. Occasionally they'll happen upon someone that claims to know how it started but they always end up being a liar or a crazy person. That's what I love about it. When you're in that world, you care about nothing but survival. :)

The void of music feels intentional to me so you get the effect of silence. I think it works great. If you think about a world where there is no TV/radio/cars/electricity/etc.. it's an extremely quiet world. It would be spooky as hell. That's what they are trying to get at I think.

Spawn, keep reading! Get the Omnibus editions to catch up. I read the TPBs, the 13th volume comes out next week. Woot.

Spawn, keep reading! Get the Omnibus editions to catch up. I read the TPBs, the 13th volume comes out next week. Woot.

Oh man, I'm current on them. Just been so long since I've read anything but the new editions. I actually own all the regular editions and the trades (No ombnibus though, dont' see the point in getting those as long as I keep up with the trades). Issue #1 is a prized possession in my collection.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be honest, these cliche characters in the show are getting to me.

The comic has no cliche characters. G-DAWG, the rednecks, the vatos.. they all don't exist in the comic. The comic just has normal people like you and me. No hoodlums vs racists.

I dont know why these extreme personality types were added (extras from Breaking Bad?) but they tend to overshadow the normal humans who are more engrossing and who make the comic what it is: rick/shane/carl/dale/etc.

I still like it. to me it's like watching the comic i love but in an alternate universe.

Archived