Defiance Discussion (360)

ThermoNukePanda

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am highly interested in this game. It sort of just snuck up on me. On the surface it looks kinda generic but when I learned it was an MMO on the 360 it piqued my interest. I am a sucker for MMO even if I am just soloing. I like the feeling that the world is full of other players that I may randomly come across. I can choose to interact or not. The possibility of world events where multiple players are needed to take down big creatures or bosses. It's just fun.

What I can't believe is that no one is talking about this game being that it could be the first MMO to actually work on console. I saw some beta stuff but since release the gaming sites have no news, no coverage, no reviews. 

From what I saw this game looks fun! I even watched the show pilot last night. I am going to give the show a chance when it starts.

Well, yet again Trion has managed to absolutely INFURIATE me with their servers haha.

I'm not even kidding you, I streamed for a long time last night and I think I played MAYBE about a combined 45-50 minutes of Defiance.  Server disconnected a few times, twice I had to log/relog to get this quest to work, and the majority of the night I COULDN'T EVEN CONNECT to the server.  Just kept erroring out.  So yeah, kind of a bummer.

On a positive note the game SEEMS pretty cool from the short experience I had.  I'm interested to try more. I went with an aggressive Machinist.  LMG support with damage boosting abilities. 

It's really interesting to finally see an MMO on Xbox for once.  Just cool to walk around and see a crapton of other people.

I saw some gameplay over on giantbomb the other day and it does look pretty cool. One of the main problems I've always had with MMOs was just the combat feeling very mechanical and boring, and this actually looks like it has a pretty decent shooting system in it. That and no subscription fee have me interested(though the actual show, not so much, I'm glad Syfy is actually trying something again but...it just looks like such a bore to me).

I took the plunge! I had the same problems as Chris. My experience so far:

3 hrs of installation/patching followed by the inability to even connect to the servers. I kept at it though and when it was getting late it finally let me in. I made my first character with a bunch of random disconnects during the open cinematic. I finally got through that and was doing the very first mission where you need to find your weapon. I go to the waypoint to find the quest was bugged. There was no weapon to get or anything to interact with. I started a whole new character and then the quest worked. I go to the next area which happens pretty fast and then the game disconnected me again but this time I could not get back in and it was too late so I called it a night.

I expected some issues and got pissed but I played WoW for 5 years so I know this will get ironed out. I got maybe 30 mins in total but I gotta say I really enjoyed that 30 mins. I picked machinist too!! Tons of players running around and the game feels fun. Can't wait to get back in!

I saw some gameplay over on giantbomb the other day and it does look pretty cool. One of the main problems I've always had with MMOs was just the combat feeling very mechanical and boring, and this actually looks like it has a pretty decent shooting system in it. That and no subscription fee have me interested(though the actual show, not so much, I'm glad Syfy is actually trying something again but...it just looks like such a bore to me).

Generally MMO's do feel more mechanical combat wise but the fun for me is upgrading your character with new gear, talents and the feeling your part of a big world of players to interact with. The possibility of the world evolving and events happening where multiple players are needed to participate to complete is fun. I have read more about this game last night. What is cool is you don't have to be in a group to get the rewards. Just show up, participate and you still get the rewards based on your level and xp. That is what I have read anyways.

Why don't I know what this is? Like, this thread is the first I've ever heard of it... <Spawn feels stupid as all hell and goes off to research>

Don't worry this title snuck up on me and I only got to know it over the last day or two. It's a sleeper!

Spawn, go check it out.  Seriously the game LOOKS super fun and the bit that I played was really cool.  It's amazing that it's actually on Xbox and seeing everyone running around doing stuff.  And the combat really isn't all that clunky.  The shooting mechanics have been pretty solid so far.

It is an MMO though.  I can't remember a single MMO I played that didn't have issues for the first week or two.  Hell, look at the newest Sim City.  There are always going to be problems at launch for just a bit.

I'm most excited for the fact that it's a tie in for SyFy and that they're going to try to update content for the game based on whats going on with the show.  How meta.

They are good at updating us on the situation too:

http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/04/04/day-2-in-the-life-of-defiance-little-bit-of-humble-little-bit-of-cautious/

The time I was in game was great. The bugs will be ironed out soon. Hopefully by Saturday :)

We should have a gamercide night on the game! When the bugs get better of course.

It is an MMO though.  I can't remember a single MMO I played that didn't have issues for the first week or two.  Hell, look at the newest Sim City.  There are always going to be problems at launch for just a bit.

I'm most excited for the fact that it's a tie in for SyFy and that they're going to try to update content for the game based on whats going on with the show.  How meta.

I am excited about the show tie in as well.

I'm really glad that they know the Xbox servers are having trouble and are working hard on fixing it.  I really want to play this game!

Me too! I went from not knowing about this game to going bonkers over it overnight. I want to play NOW dammit!

I also noticed that season 1 of the show is only $24.99 on itunes. I got rid of cable a few years ago and will never go back and as far as TV season passes go that is not a bad price. I will have to consider it. I want to at least see the full pilot to give it a chance.

I played for the last hour.  Received an ingame message that theyre taking it down for patch (30 mins supposedly) at 6PM Eastern (right now, I just got kicked off)

Should be back up later hopefully.

*edit*  Got my ATV though and did some missions!  I'm at some radio tower right now)

Hope I can get in. I might start over again. It was so messed up last night I would mind doing the beginning again. I am not far at all. Unfortunately I will probably have to download a new patch. Hoping it does not take as long as it did last night.

Archived