Halo 4 - To buy or not to buy?

vectordream

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the halo games the only thing putting me off buying this is that you need like 5GB free to use the multiplayer and spartan ops, for me this means I need to buy a new hard drive so its gonna cost like £110 to play Halo 4. The reviews have been reallt strong so I'm sure its a worthy sucessor.

You should just get one of these.

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=xbox usb

Plugs into USB and you can save whatever you want on it. I have a 16gb one that has been getting me by for a long time. I wanted to go cheap since I was stuck with the 20gb drive and the hard drives are waaaay overpriced in my opinion. I just shift things around as needed.

Too bad they force the 5gb download. I am waiting on this game anyways but for most it is probably not a big deal but it is too late in the gen for me to drop any extra money on hardware especially since in the past I have had to buy another xbox due to red ring or whatever. Like most of you I am getting tired of paying M$.

Dat it is PC building time!

I want to know if the full price is worth it just for single player.

I was very skeptical, but after having played a level and a half the game is pretty good so far. Some of the visuals are impressive for a console, reminiscent of other great vistas in Halo games. I haven't played enough to say whether it's worth full price, but it's quite good so far.

The only problem I'm having is being horribly maladjusted to playing shooters on a controller. I'd have a much easier time on my preferred keyboard and mouse control scheme. I'm starting to recall that you actually have to use both analog sticks to aim. Sensitive right stick to aim in the general direction of the enemy clunkily, left player movement analog stick to strafe around and fine tune the aim more slowly. Silly. With a mouse you can aim exactly where you need to with ease.

I'm starting to get a Halo 1 vibe in a good way, (mild spoilers if you haven't played the first mission or two)

exploring Forerunner ruins while fighting heretic covenant forces, trying to activate a cartographer system to figure out where the hell you are. The only thing I really wish all the trailers hadn't spoiled was the presence of living Forerunners. It would have been a nice surprise (though I haven't gotten to any in the game yet).

Also, just picked up a SAW. Powerful gun, but what the f*ck is a Call of Duty gun doing in this game?

I had a chance to try the game out last night. In an effort to convince me to get the game a friend brought it over and we goofed around with it for a bit. I got to do what I think is the first mission or so. I was actually.........impressed with it!

I agree with what Kevnvek said above. Great visuals and graphics for a console game. I think it looks better than Reach visually. At least the part I got to play. I was feeling a bit of Halo 1 vibe as you say which was cool. The game does feel different than past games for me. The grenades feel weaker no? They don't have as much area of effect or something. Does not bother me too much. This could be worth getting. I have to think on it though. All these games are adding up lol. Got to save some money sometime.

I agree with what Kevnvek said above. Great visuals and graphics for a console game. I think it looks better than Reach visually.

Reach had dull colors and H4 went back to the H3 "everything is shiny as hell" graphics.

They also got improved, allot. The graphics are just miles ahead of Reach.

The grenades feel weaker no? They don't have as much area of effect or something.

They got a well deserved nerf.

Reach had pocket nukes and the slow movement of that game make them even worse.

H4 has increase speed and the grenades see to have a somewhat smaller blast radius as well.

As for my opinion for those people wanting it only for the campaign, I'd say get it, but wait for the price to drop down a bit.

The campaign itself is great but, maybe it's just me, the levels seem to lack that "I want to play this over and over again" feeling previous games had.

I'm done with 5 of the 9 levels and will probably finish it today, but I have to say,

some of it is getting corny as hell. The whole Didact thing doesn't feel like it belongs in Halo at all. Then something about Master Chief being a biologically guided chosen one, I don't like where this is going. It doesn't have that grand sci-fi feel like the other Halos, more a T rated sci-fi shooter feel. Oh look, you unleashed an ancient evil thing with a snarly face that wants to dominate the universe with evil telekinesis and mind control. Boo. I'll take the flood or covenant any day. It's still good, but it's undeniable it would be better if Bungie was still full on making it. Also, I guess I was wrong about the enemies being Forerunners. They're digital/physical construct things made using ancient humans... or something.

I don't see what you guys mean about this game being faster than Reach. It honestly feels slower to me, the whole game feels sluggish in terms of movement and aiming, but then again it's probably because I'm so used to keyboard and mouse controls now. Analog sticks will never be as potentially smooth, quick, and accurate as a mouse for first or third person aiming. Grenades feel useless too now, aside from the usual attaching a sticky to someone. I don't really understand the Prothean grenade at all, it's like it only hurts things when it first expands but otherwise doesn't do much damage.

I guess we are used to the controller. I don't play a ton if much at all on the PC for first person shooters as of right now. That could change. Grenades are weaker for sure. I do like the thought of weaker grenades for multiplayer. Those things were brutal in past games.

I've always had more respect for controller FPS players than I did for PC FPS players. My own mother can click and punch the moving monkey on that old Flash ad. Click where you want to shoot, basically. If one thinks about it, it takes way more skill to be accurate with a controller, than it is with a mouse. All with thumbs, too! lol

Also, watching a stream where the streamer is using a mouse to play his shooter... the movements are jerky and disorientating for me. With a controller, my brain can almost always predetermine where the person is going to be aiming/looking. With a PC player, since he can whip around in any angle at break neck speeds, it's hard for the viewer to estimate where, and it's disorientating.

I actually like the controller more for FPS. I guess it just feels more natural since I have been on consoles so long. I am not a pro by any means but your right it does take more skill to work with it. Hand and eye coordination. I get owned all the time in COD games lol but I have good nights too where I am in the zone. Some of these kids are so good with it that it gets frustrating.

I heard you can only play spartan ops if you have a gold account, even in split screen, can anyone confirm? I stopped paying for gold so if I ever get the game it will be to play campaign and to do splitsceen co-op and well, if they cut that off I'll just spend money on more PC games.

Anyway, to way in on M/K vs controller, for FPS games I can't go back to controller really, it just feels so unnatural now and the auto aim is way more noticeable. I've become so used to the mouse now I have my aiming sensitivity in TF2 set to the max.

Allot of the following have, imo, been implemented with multiplayer in mind then, put into campaign.

I don't see what you guys mean about this game being faster than Reach.

Base movement speed is faster than in Reach.

*Multiplayer* Kill times are also vastly reduced since there's only a minimal amount of lolBloom on the weapons.

It honestly feels slower to me, the whole game feels sluggish in terms of movement and aiming, but then again it's probably because I'm so used to keyboard and mouse controls now.

*Multiplayer* The controls do feel a bit different from previous games.

Grenades feel useless too now, aside from the usual attaching a sticky to someone.

The grenades are no longer pocket nukes like Reach.

I've gotten quite a few grenade kills but you gotta use them correctly.

I don't really understand the Prothean grenade at all, it's like it only hurts things when it first expands but otherwise doesn't do much damage.

Crowd control or blocking off hallways.

This grenade probably had multiplayer written all over it at the start.

Yep, just beat it and

it was probably the dumbest of storylines in a Halo game. It seemed cool right about up to where you start seeing the Forerunners/constructs, then got too cheesy when you meet Didact. The whole last parts of the game were just annoying, fighting armies of robot dogs with machine gun heads. The graphics were great and the gameplay was mostly pretty good, but overall it's probably the weakest Halo to me. I liked ODST better (though I didn't think that was a bad game at all like many did).

Yep, just beat it and

it was probably the dumbest of storylines in a Halo game. It seemed cool right about up to where you start seeing the Forerunners/constructs, then got too cheesy when you meet Didact. The whole last parts of the game were just annoying, fighting armies of robot dogs with machine gun heads. The graphics were great and the gameplay was mostly pretty good, but overall it's probably the weakest Halo to me. I liked ODST better (though I didn't think that was a bad game at all like many did).

Only thing I hated about the campaign was the ending where you "fight" the Didact.

Seriously... real time event to stop him?........ lame as hell.

Archived