Gaming Headset recommendations

Kevnvek

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PK has old Trittons.

New headsets are much better. If I were you Kevin, I would just pick a headset and stick with it. Otherwise you will be decided to get one forever.

PK has old Trittons.

New headsets are much better. If I were you Kevin, I would just pick a headset and stick with it. Otherwise you will be decided to get one forever.

Well I've pretty much decided that I'll get Ax Pros (eventually) unless I see TB x41s at a really good price somewhere.

And yeah, Brad, it sucks that I can't go all CAG16 + Edge Card on these mo fos lol.

They're $180 (50 more than Ax 720s) but I'm sure they'll go down somewhere by the time I go to get them, especially if they announce a newer model at E3 like PK says.

• 1 month later...

Tritton Ax Pros ordered, soon to ship out (I always freaking end up ordering stuff on Fridays or Saturdays, damn it! lol) They should be here by the 9th or 10th thanks to expedited shipping. :D

Cannot wait. Aliens vs Predator and Left 4 Dead 2 will probably be the first couple games I'll try them on, making it easy to detect those sneaky ninja aliens and special infected zombies. lol

Haven't played AvP in forever.

Oh yeah, and how could I forget Fallout 3, that one will be high on the list of games to try with the new Trittons with it's great atmosphere.

Kevin I could send you my headphones. They're pretty awesome. A shelf fell on them and they broke so they're being held together by lots of masking tape, bits of chinese food containers and wire I acquired from a coat hanger.

Think of what you're missing out on when you're enjoying your Trittons. :P

Well I got them and have been trying them out and they sound awesome. I've also figured out a way to use them on my laptop as well (without really having to unplug anything). My laptop apparently doesn't support 5.1 or have the optical or analog plugs needed for it, so I just plug either the front or center plug into my laptop (thanks to my 3.5mm extender) and they work as regular stereo headphones (but probably better quality than my current ones)).

One thing bugs me with them, though. All of the sounds are great, I messed around in Fallout 3 and the alien guns from Mothership Zeta sound amazing, but voices sound unnatural, like a little too loud. All other sounds are fine, but voices sound like they were recorded too loud or something like when someone talks too loud into a microphone and it sounds weird. It's not that bad, but noticable. I'll have to join PK tonight or tomorrow night in RDR to test out the mic.

Most likely what it is, is that I usually increase the voice setting so I can hear what people say more clearly, and now need to lower it back down lol.

Yeah I like that it has independently adjustable Front, Rear, Center, and Sub channels. I did some tests and it seems I should just stick with my (still awesome quality despite their low price) regular headphones for my laptop. Plugging the Trittons into the computer the way I was doing it, only the sub/center plug got decent bass, and even then the sound wasn't as good as my other headphones.

So it looks like, until I someday get a new laptop capable of 5.1 and with the proper audio in jacks (or optical), I'll just use the Trittons for my 360 and keep using my old headphones for the laptop.

Didn't your headset come with different cables? Mine came with several, so I could use them on most anything.

Yes, but there is no single, stereo, 3.5mm headphone plug, just the four green, black, red, and pink 3.5 mm analog plugs, and just plugging one of them into my laptop doesn't sound as good as my regular headphones. I would need either optical or 5.1 analog jacks for it to work right. I tested between the old headphones and trittons on a bassy song (Hybrid - Finished Symphony) and the old ones came out clearer.

Basically all of the cables that it came with are; optical, 5.1 analog (the four colored ones I mentioned), the 9 pin plug to plug the headphones into the little box, a USB mic plug, the power cord, and a plug for the Xbox 360 mic.

You need a better computer. lol

Eventually, but in the meantime I love my old headphones. lol

Also, I found out another cool thing about my Ax Pros: I think they're a slightly newer model, or at least has slightly better components, because it only needs one AC adapter that branches out for both box (9) and headset (1). I've heard there are supposed to be two, like this one (3):

1.jpg

Also, the 360 mic cable (4) isn't a hideous coiling wire like that, just a short, straight one (length is fine).

So far I'm really liking them but need to adjust the voice volume levels in my RPGs because of the slight distortion. I guess I can do a review of them once I've had them for a bit and gotten used to them and played a few games with them.

I've never used another gaming headset though, so I can't compare them to an older model or different brand. No idea how much better than Ax 360s they are if you're looking for an upgrade recommendation. lol

Also, it came with a sweet poster (the reverse side of the setup instructions):

img_3326lr.jpg

EDIT: Yay, they also work on my PS2, even though it only says for 360/PS3/PC. I guess they'll work with most things that have optical and support surround sound. Stupid Wii doesn't have an optical jack, though. >(

Archived