Gaming Headset recommendations

Kevnvek

So I'm looking into getting some gaming headphones, or maybe asking for them for my birthday, and I wanted to get some recommendations. So far it looks like it's mainly between Turtle Beaches (x41s?) and Trittons (Ax720s or AxPros?). I don't want an entry level one, I would like some in full 5.1 surround, but I also don't really want to spend over $200 at the most ($180 or less, really lol).

So I guess Trittons and Turtle Beaches aren't TOO different, but some TBs are wireless requiring AAAs (24 packs being purchasable for $10, probably last a couple months) and Trittons have an AC adapter to plug in (kind of like the idea of not needing batteries better).

Does anyone have any recommendations on what I should get? Or maybe yet another brand of gaming headphones to suggest?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't let the batteries bit dissuade you. It's not bad at all. I hate having a wired connection (AC adaptor). Wireless is the way to go.

So I hear TB x41s last about 20 hours on battery, but how many do they take? I'd probably be fine with getting some cheap AAA bulk packs, but I just don't really like relying on batteries unless they are rechargeable like 360 controllers. Having no wires is definitely nice though.

Ah well, I'd mostly use them at night, so they'd probably last a while on one battery charge (but I'd also use them to watch movies on my computer and 360).

Today's the last day I could get TB x41s from Gamestop for $150 with a 25 off over 100 code, otherwise lowest I've found is 160.

My X4's take two AAA batteries. These last me usually at least a week of solid gaming (rechargeables), before I walk into the other room and take 15 seconds to switch out the batteries for a different set. I don't mind occasionally having to do that.

The gaming headsets have a removable mic.

And I just saw another thing, it doesn't look like the TBs can be used for PC, which kinda sucks because I watch anime and movies on it often (some with 5.1). Some of the Trittons say they do work with PC though.

And knowing how much you play, Chris, I'd say that the batteries would last a decent length of time for me lol. So that's a plus.

I use my Turtle Beach X1's with my 360, PS3 and 360. :) Of course they're the crappy wired stereo ones, but it works.

And I don't see why you COULDN'T use the X41s with PC, but you'd have to have it routed through some sort of home entertainment system that can accept optical TOSLink connections.

I use my Turtle Beach X1's with my 360, PS3 and 360. :) Of course they're the crappy wired stereo ones, but it works.

And I don't see why you COULDN'T use the X41s with PC, but you'd have to have it routed through some sort of home entertainment system that can accept optical TOSLink connections.

Too much effort lol, and I doubt this laptop even has the hardware for that. I guess it would mainly be for 360 anyways, and I can play a lot of my movies through the 360 on one of my external hard drives. Another thing I see is, on the TB x41's home page, there is no mention of PS3, it says that it's a Xbox 360 headset. Would it still work for PS3, or maybe it would work but it wouldn't work with game chat because the plug is designed for 360?

What's the difference between a gaming headset and like an audiophile headset like Sennheiser? Do gaming headsets come with a mic?

I love my Sennheiser HD 595s :) . Who needs a mic ;) .

Oh and from X41's website:

Digital input for highest XBOX sound quality, plus analog input for TV and other audio sources

So, it has analog for other sources that aren't XBOX

Well I definitely want it to have a mic so I could use them in multiplayer games and Netflix parties.

So it looks like it's down to Tritton Ax720s or AxPros vs Turtle Beach x31s or x41s, unless there's another brand I've not heard of.

Well, I just did some quick research, and I would have to go with The AX Pros if I was buying one of the 4 for myself. I'm not a big fan of wireless to begin with, but I know the cords can be a pain. However, it's only one cable, and they are the only headphones out of that selection that offer true 5.1 and compatibility with all systems. ( maybe not the Wii ) .

Well, I just did some quick research, and I would have to go with The AX Pros if I was buying one of the 4 for myself. I'm not a big fan of wireless to begin with, but I know the cords can be a pain. However, it's only one cable, and they are the only headphones out of that selection that offer true 5.1 and compatibility with all systems. ( maybe not the Wii ) .

Alright, thanks Dateranoth. :) Looks like a close battle between the two, wirelessness vs compatibility.

But what about the TB x41s saying that they have 7.1 surround sound (7 speakers?) Wouldn't that be better, or are there not a lot of games and movies that support 7.1?

Alright, thanks Dateranoth. :) Looks like a close battle between the two, wirelessness vs compatibility.

But what about the TB x41s saying that they have 7.1 surround sound (7 speakers?) Wouldn't that be better, or are there not a lot of games and movies that support 7.1?

They don't have 7 speakers. It's emulated surround. They have two speakers and a Digital Signal Processor to emulate surround. Very much like Creative's Sound Blaster series does. They call it CMSS 3D. It does a pretty good job of emulating, but having the actual speakers is better. The Tritton's have 8 speakers ( 4 in each ear ) placed around the ear to better emulate directional sound. Plus they have 5.1 analog inputs that could be used with a computer that doesn't have optical out.

The major downside, aside from just the cables is the need for two power adapters. So you will nee two empty outlets in order to use them.

They don't have 7 speakers. It's emulated surround. They have two speakers and a Digital Signal Processor to emulate surround. Very much like Creative's Sound Blaster series does. They call it CMSS 3D. It does a pretty good job of emulating, but having the actual speakers is better. The Tritton's have 8 speakers ( 4 in each ear ) placed around the ear to better emulate directional sound. Plus they have 5.1 analog inputs that could be used with a computer that doesn't have optical out.

The major downside, aside from just the cables is the need for two power adapters. So you will nee two empty outlets in order to use them.

Well I could always get an adapter so they only need one outlet. The plugs are regular sized without the power brick right on the part that plugs in, right? (I hate those ones that take multiple slots because of the brick being positioned poorly)

And are you saying they come with a standard 3.5 mm plug in so I could use them in a standard headphone port on my PC? (I don't have optical)

If so, the Trittons are starting to sound like the way to go, despite the power cables. (at least I wouldn't have to worry about batteries)

EDIT: Saw a pic of it with all cables, looks both are the stupid ones with the brick on the end. I guess I'd just plug them into two separate areas, or get another surge protector.

Well I could always get an adapter so they only need one outlet. The plugs are regular sized without the power brick right on the part that plugs in, right? (I hate those ones that take multiple slots because of the brick being positioned poorly)

And are you saying they come with a standard 3.5 mm plug in so I could use them in a standard headphone port on my PC? (I don't have optical)

If so, the Trittons are starting to sound like the way to go, despite the power cables. (at least I wouldn't have to worry about batteries)

They are bricks, but from what I see they are the smaller form factor ones so should only take one space. Yes, they can be used on the PC, BUT, just like all the surround sound ones, not easily. They PC would have to connect to the adapter that the headphones connect to. You couldn't just unplug the headphones from the adapter and plug them into the PC. This is the same with the X41s as well. However, they do have a mic in for the PC. So you could use it too. ( still need the adapter though )

The cord is so long, it doesn't get in your way. Seriously, it's not a big deal at all.

My Tritton's came with several adapters. One I use for the PC, when I watch something good and feel like dragging it out (velvet bag =]).

You use Ax Pro or 720? If 720, how good are they?

They are bricks, but from what I see they are the smaller form factor ones so should only take one space. Yes, they can be used on the PC, BUT, just like all the surround sound ones, not easily. They PC would have to connect to the adapter that the headphones connect to. You couldn't just unplug the headphones from the adapter and plug them into the PC. This is the same with the X41s as well. However, they do have a mic in for the PC. So you could use it too. ( still need the adapter though )

Well my current set up already demands that I move some wires around to plug my headphones into my TV, then switch back to PC, so I'm used to that lol. I'll be on the lookout for some Ax Pros, and possibly get them if I find a good deal then, since they sound pretty good. They say that they can be found for $160 online, but lowest I've found is over 170. Turtle Beach is still an option though, I wouldn't mind TOO bad to only be able to use them for 360.

You use Ax Pro or 720? If 720, how good are they?

I'm sorry. I looked into it and it would be easier than I thought. It does come with an adapter that plugs right into the end of the headset so you can plug directly into the PC, but you still would have to unplug one of the power bricks and take it where your PC is ( unless you bought another to keep with the PC ) . Also, it has an analogue pass through so you can keep the XBOX connected to a powered surround sound speaker system as well. The last thing I like about it is individual volume control for the channels.

Edit:

Saw your post. From what I read, if you want the turtle beaches they should work with a PC. They have analogue inputs. You would have to use the wireless receiver though. I don't think they would plug into the headphones.

Not me. Sometimes LIVE chat is too loud, or vice versa. It's nice to be able to tone one down, so you can hear both.

Despite what GG will post later on, to the contrary.

lol. I guess I didn't pay attention to my sentence. Kevin you should have caught my comma! The last thing I like, Is individual volume control for each channel ( including the surround speakers ). I like it too!

Oh, and the difference? The 720s only having 2 speakers is the biggest (not true 5.1). However, they have the upside of only needing one power adapter. They also will work fine with the PC ( and you wouldn't need the power adapter either )

Archived