Dead Island Gameplay Impressions

PeeKnuckle

<object classId="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" width="480" height="418" id="VideoPlayerLg54563"><param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/54563" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/54563" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:480px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#FF9B00;"><a href="http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/index" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">PS3 Games</a> - <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/e3-2012/" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">E3 2012</a> - <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/games/xbox-360/47623/dead-island" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">Dead Island</a></div>

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks fun enough, but the melee combat has me a tiny bit worried. I'm really hoping the preview build gets polished, because those swing animations for the melee combat were pretty weak looking. If it's to be a game based mostly on melee combat, it must be done as realistically as possible.

• 1 month later...

I like this game for the most part. It is open in a way that you can just smash n bash or you can go from quest to quest. More fun with other people makes some frustrating parts not quite so bad. I've put a good 20+ hours into it and still am having fun. Only thing I don't like is sometimes when you spawn after dieing it puts you right in front of enemies so you die almost everytime again or if you're with others and haven't chosen the same quest as them it will spawn you way far away from them! Other than that it is a fun game if you like doing lots of quests and collecting.

So, has anyone else played this and enjoying it? I honestly can't help but feel like I'm just wasting my time. Swing swing loot loot. I'm trying to get into the city to see if it'll be any better, but right now it just feels boring.

Im really trying to enjoy it, but following up Dues Ex with this is making it really tough. The idea of the game is great and the free roam is good too, but the fighting sys is lacking. Now on the plus side, hitting them with the pick-up is so much fun.

Im really trying to enjoy it, but following up Dues Ex with this is making it really tough. The idea of the game is great and the free roam is good too, but the fighting sys is lacking. Now on the plus side, hitting them with the pick-up is so much fun.

I agree the combat is weak. My biggest problem with the game is the sluggish movement, mvoing foward is fine but when I want to strafe it is slower that makes no sense. Another thing is when an ememy attacks it should cancel your attack, there.is seriously no way to beat a massive horde of infected if you can only kick. I dont like the how the camera isnt steady when you walk like it shakes to ur foot steps and I think thats awful. The auto aim feature sucks too. I know thats a lot but believe it or not I still love the game.

Yes, following DX with this probably has made it difficult for me as well. Everything you said GG I agree with. However, it bugs me more. I can just barely get past the movement and aim assist to play the game. Then once I get past that I just feel bored. I want to like it and I have been trying, but I dunno. I'm about to play it some more. My goal is to get into the city and see if it's more enjoyable there. Oh, and yes! I really do enjoy mowing them down with the trucks.

Yes, following DX with this probably has made it difficult for me as well. Everything you said GG I agree with. However, it bugs me more. I can just barely get past the movement and aim assist to play the game. Then once I get past that I just feel bored. I want to like it and I have been trying, but I dunno. I'm about to play it some more. My goal is to get into the city and see if it's more enjoyable there. Oh, and yes! I really do enjoy mowing them down with the trucks.

Trust me dude the resort is way better then the city. You will be on foot the entire time, with an added two new breeds of zombies and it's a pain. I died 6 times on one mission today lol. On the bright side you will find more pistol ammo in the city. Oh yea also once you make it to the city you don't only have to worry about zombies but random gang members ambushing you with guns lol. Actually I ended up getting use to the controls, the aim assist is dumb but actually I'm use to it now, I don't even really use the cursor anymore I just swing to were I think it'll hit them in the head. I'm also playing on 360 so it might be easier. I couldn't imagine playing on pc.

That's the thing with most people playing this on the PC. They're not used to aim assist because they've never needed it. You aim precisely enough with a mouse. Those little nudges once locked onto a target are throwing them off. They follow their reticule and they're used to it being where they aimed it. With this game, they're trying to put it on one spot, but the assist is taking over and frustrating them.

Aim assist should not be in the PC version. In fact, it should have been patched out already, or the option in the menu should be working as intended.

I've stated my opinions on aim assist in the Gamercide stream, but I'll state them again here. Nothing really bothers me about the game or controls too much so far. The "aim assist" isn't bad, because it really isn't forcibly moving the mouse or anything, just the little icon. At most your character will angle the swing slightly to hit the part the icon is on, but you still always swing pretty much in the center of the screen, even if your character angles that swing. Maybe I'm just used to not focusing so hard on the reticule since a few weeks ago I played Crysis and Crysis Warhead on the highest difficulty which, while it doesn't make enemies tougher, takes away things like the reticule (that's an awesome way to increase difficulty btw, instead of the cheap "you die easier, they take more to kill" method.)

As for throwing, even though it locks on to the center, you can aim by moving up/down or to the sides slightly with the mouse.

PC gamers by and large focus on their reticule. You say the aim assist isn't bad. Well, it isn't good, either. It's unneeded for a PC game. The throwing lock on isn't as bad, but a PC game never really needs an aim assist mechanic. Consoles do. A controller is less accurate. We all know this.

It also doesn't matter if your character slightly angles if you aim to the left or right. You're following your reticule where it should be going, but the game is taking it over and slightly nudging it to one of several lock on locations. That would drive me batshit insane. It would mess with my eyes big time. My eyes and brain know I'm moving it to point A, but the game is forcing it to point B, instead.

Luckily I found a way to have NO reticule! Hurray. Now that I've fixed two of the biggest problems I can say I am starting to enjoy this game. It still feels a little repetitive, but overall fun without those nagging problems. I hope they do some work and patch this stuff officially soon. The problem with auto-equipping was also about to drive me crazy, but it is also fixed by some tweaks.

Somebody tell me what the draw is with zombie games. I am not a fan, but let's see what I know about zombies....

They're dead, and they walk (like The Crow)

They're infections are contagious (like vampires, and I like vampires)

They come in hordes

They're easy to kill if you shoot them in the head...

Now, from what I know about zombie games, a lot of my really bright friends LOVE zombie games, and some follow the canon of zombies quite intimately. There are also tons of games about zombies, and some really great movies were made about zombies. Zombie ideas never seem to run out, either, there's always something to do with zombies coming out in theatres or in video games. This is a zombie game, right? This game is a testament to the boredom that zombies brings me, but that's just me. Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this, but something that is boring, wouldn't that be something you'd avoid? Anyway.../rant

Yeah. I can agree with you. To me, it's providing just enough fun bashing their heads in to make it enjoyable. It does have an overall feel of time wasting, but it's still fun to play coop. It could have been better if they'd have went the survival horror route a little more than the rpg route, but oh well. I had a good time playing it, but it gives me the same feeling of a night of GTA multiplayer. A lot of fun, but no accomplishment. Haha. Guess fun is all that matters.

Even the "real" vampires like the original Dracula are g ay. The mythology of them is that they are these suave, romanticized monsters who will charm women and suck their blood. Now they're these homoerotic shirtless figures who charm tween girls and suck something else lol.

I disagree with Dat about the RPG part though. I'm glad it's an RPG, and it makes it feel less like a waste of time when your skills and abilities are growing as you play (not that I really feel my time wasted in this game, it's fun). There aren't a whole lot of zombie RPGs that I'm aware of (short of sword and sorcery RPGs that happen to have zombies and a big zombie quest in them like Neverwinter Nights), so it's pretty neat to play this game.

If it wasn't an RPG, I might get bored of it a little. I barely got into the first level of Dead Nation before I got bored of it. The Left 4 Dead games are awesome though.

As for zombie movies and games themselves, I like them, but they are oversaturating the market. It's just an easy, cool concept that preys on many of people's fears. And it's fairly easy to do in terms of movies, rather than having to go all out and make tons of alien or robot costumes/cgi effects and some story explaining their presence, they can just bloody up people, give them dead looking skin and cgi severed limbs, and say "the zombie apocalypse happened".

Zombie movies and games done right are still pretty awesome.

Not to make anyone feel bad, but the same could be said about Gears multiplayer. Nothing but a bunch of diving around, trying to shotgun some dude's head off.

What we find fun in, is what we enjoy and play. If you enjoy mindless zombie bashing, you get a zombie game. If you like rolling around and shotgunning people, you get Gears.

I can agree with Kevin that the rpg leveling aspect gives you something to look forward to. The problem is that in order to feel powerful you have to do the typical rpg grind and like many RPGs the enemies return. So you never have a feeling of accomplishment outside of another level gained. Unless of course you really feel a deep connection to characters with lame back stories and a sudden overwhelming compassion to save Teddy bears.

Archived