Horizon Zero Dawn

Dateranoth

I decided I haven't played anything lately and picked this up on a whim last night. I really just started, but I'm pretty impressed. 

I'm running the original PS4, and the game does look amazing. It is locked at lower frames, but I haven't seen one frame drop. Not to mention no loads to speak of so far, and all the cutscenes seem to be using the game engine so it's seamless.

Game play wise I'm just getting started. I'll be honest, I'm pretty tired of the gather stuff to make stuff game play style that has taken over. So far though, it seems to be mostly done through the machines which is at least fun. 

Considering I haven't even done the first main quest it's a bit early to judge, but I think I'm going to like it. 

Yes! Love it. I'm really into it now. 

My only small complaint is the stealth. I put a lot of points into stealth before I realized everything can't be taken down immediately from cover. It's not a big deal. I just end up doing a lot of smack run away smack again. 

Still, this is one of those games like Middle Earth where all the fights feel fun. Though, the one damn invisible stalker type I've fought so far was tough as hell. 

I stuck with stealth and override early on. I enjoy the play style, but stealth with human enemies is just a joke. I took out one of the level 25 bandit camps at level 15 with out taking a hit. Haha. 

On the the other hand, the boss fights in the cauldrons have been tough. I also took down my first Thunderjaw last night which was extremely fun.

I actually like one thing a lot, and that's the level doesn't really make the game super easier. I did a lot of side quests and hunting before moving on so I just got to Merridian, and I'm level 31.However, the missions still feel challenging. This game would be super tough on hard.

• 2 weeks later...

So I got 100% sucked into this game. It was just so much fun. The story was not the absolute best, but every little mission was a fun one to me. It's all in the machines. I just enjoyed looking for every possible thing in this game to such an extent that it's probably the closest to 100% I've ever been. Matter of fact, if I wander around a bit and find some training dummies I will have gotten every trophy possible.

Crazy part is, I enjoy the environment and game enough that I probably will do just that! I have to recommend it to anyone with a PS4. This game is a close 2nd to The Witcher 3 for me. However, it's such different game types that they are practically equals. Though, this game comes nowhere close to The Witcher 3 in writing. 

Anyhow, just wanted to share what has encompassed all my free time until now. 

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been playing this and really enjoying it recently as well.  Probably going to finish it tonight, actually.  Very Hard difficulty, and basically no stealth.  The part I have the most trouble (and annoyance) with is bandit camps and human enemies in general because of their precision and numbers, but jumping around in slow-mo helps.  I love the combat with the machines though.  I use melee, dodgerolls, tearblast arrows, and basically all kinds of stupid fighting methods I shouldn't be using on the harder difficulty lol.  It is fun to just keep dodging just out of claw range then knocking the giant robots over with a little wooden stick, after blowing off their guns haha.

Story-wise, I love it.  Great speculative fiction and interesting twists.  I have Frozen Wilds and will play through that after, but aside from maybe a couple smaller games on my PS4, I'll be done with gaming for a bit again until after my semester.  I have a lot of readings to get through.

I agree that I'm starting to hate the crafting/open-world trend in games too, but even then I still went around and maxed out all the ammo carry capacities last night.  I just wish you could make the stuff from hunting machines, the animals are boring compared to them.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah,  it was the animals that made it so boring. It takes an exciting game and boils it down to a grind. The only hard part is making the little assholes spawn.  Regardless, it was fun, and I did enjoy Frozen Wilds as well.  Definitely my favorite PS4 game to date.

Archived