Transformers: Fall of Cybertron

vectordream

Since there is not a topic on this I decided to make one. So anyone getting this? I actually really enjoyed the first one called War for Cybertron which was the first Transformers game that was actually decent. They really nailed the Transformations and characters. Plus this series of games is not based off the Bay movies which pretty much destroyed everything I loved about Transformers. Completely DESTROYED!

See I am partial to the G1 stuff because I grew up with it. One of my favorite cartoons as a kid and I loved all the toys so naturally I would be a sucker for a Transformers game that pays homage to G1 and actually does the characters mostly right. The multiplayer was not bad and it seems a little better this time around. Different modes and more customizations.

I really want Borderlands 2 and Sept 18th is so close yet so far away haha. Perhaps a little Transformers will get me through.

Demo Impressions:

Seems more epic this time around. Still linear but the areas feel a bit more open. There are things hidden around the map encouraging exploration. The areas are not huge but better this time around. More weapon variations and there are now stations dotting the environments that will give you a random weapons as well as Telatraan Stations in each section that allow you to upgrade skills. There are more characters added this time around including the Dinobots. You will get a chance to be on both sides during the campaign. Co-op campaign was axed.

Multiplayer - Still largely the same as the last game but with all new maps and more character customizations. I felt like they took away some things but they call it balancing. They did make it easier for the scientist to heal teammates. Overall still fun and matches are pretty quick. Escalation mode returns with tweaks. All this was good before so I understand not wanting to change it too much. Hope they can keep the cheaters out.

Overall my biggest problem with the game is the same old mechanical Cybertronian environments. They bring it to life well and a little brighter this time but I was really hoping they would push the envelop on making some varied environments. We shall see. I would like the series to continue past this game and evolve past all the Cybertron stuff. They could really open it up then.

Vec

I've been thinking of getting it, but I had to trim my gamefly sub so it'll have to wait a bit. I really enjoyed the first as well, and am really looking forward to the customization in the multiplayer.

Yeah I could not help it. I can't stop playing the demo. I decided what the heck! I am trimming the amount of games I buy this year though. I have been utilizing redbox to rent games once in awhile. I had gamefly years ago but got fed up with never getting my #1 or #2 in my list.

Hey PK,

Funny you mention that. I would not mind writing an article a week or something and see how it goes. I read enough game news and send emails to some friends of my impressions of games and things once in awhile so turning or refining something into an article would not be a stretch.

I often thought of starting my own youtube channel and doing video reviews of stuff. Of course I would need more equipment to pull it off properly. Better editing software, etc. TIME! :)

Vec

• 3 weeks later...

**UPDATE**

Transformers FOC - Full Game Impressions

Ok all,

Its getting good scores on the big review sites but those mean nothing really. After all they are simply just opinions of one person with an arbitrary score attached. It is also hard to tell if the review was paid for or not. The only way is to take the plunge!

So I bought the full game and here are my first impressions:

If you liked the last game “War for Cybertron” or the demo for this one you're gonna like and or love the full game. There is just simply more of everything. This game relies on you liking the source material so if you don’t like robots, mechs or Transformers chances are you won’t like this title but you already knew that!

Singleplayer:

Looks and feels great. Good improvements over the last game with the addition of weapons stations. More varied weapons. You get to be different iconic characters from the Transformers Universe as you get through the campaign story. Optimus Prime is a badass. While the environments look great so far it is the same old Cybertronian looking places. Not bad just hoping for more as it goes along.

Multiplayer:

Here you have your traditional deathmatch and capture the flag modes as well as a conquest mode where you hold different points on the map and headhunter which seems like a lone-wolf type of mode that I don’t recall being in the first game. Conquest is my favorite so far. It forces a team effort. There are more customizations for your character this time for sure. It largely plays the same as the previous game.

Escalation Mode:

4-player co-op firefight/horde mode. Tried this briefly. You get to pick from different iconic characters. I like the spin on it where you get energon(money in this game) and you can spend it on opening new doors on the map to extend it out getting you to different areas. You can also buy health, ammo, weapons, etc. while you're playing.

It’s not particularly innovative but the game feels really solid and I will enjoy it. I like that High Moon holds true to the G1 feel of the characters. Finally, someone knows how to make a Transformers game. I hope they do well so they can continue to make the series better. The game comes with pretty much what I expected. There is a heavy focus on multiplayer and leveling up in there to unlock and customize your created character. This will definitely get me through until Borderlands 2 comes out. That is my impressions so far.

When does the story take place? I didn't understand why they made a sequel about the fall of Cybertron when

they left Cybertron in the end of the first game.

Hey Kev,

Could not answer until now. I just about forgot how the first game ended lol.

First game ending spoilers:

The first one ended where Omega Supreme was defeated by the Decepticons and forced to infect the core of Cybertron with Dark Energon, which is a Transformer too.

The Autobots begin to evacuate and end up on a big station that turns out to be the Transformer Trypticon. They defeat him. Optimus commissions a massive vessel known as The Ark to transport the remaining Autobots into space. Optimus and a small band of remaining Autobots stay to defend Cybertron from Megatron for as long as possible.

Not spoilers if you have played the first game.

Anyways this game takes place where Cybertron is about done and the Autobots who stayed are fighting it out with Megatron with one last effort before the whole planet is fully lost. Basically, I think they set it up this way so the developers would have an easier time designing the game staying with similar Cybertronian environments that were featured in the first game. Not sure but I think the campaign will take us up to the point where they actually fully leave Cybertron. Not such a bad thing but I want to get to earth and see what they can do with the series there.

We should throw your full impression up on the main site. Looks like I'll be picking this up eventually.

You should if you like Transformers like I do. I played alot more Multiplayer last night. There is something fun about bashing other peoples Transformers into the ground with my Titan class character who has earned the name Devastator haha.

I don't regret getting it and I wanted to support High Moon so they make more good Transformers games even better. In my opinion this game and their first effort are the only Transformers games. All other tries in the past by others have been failures. Seems like High Moon are full of Transformer geeks that really care.

I will eventually get bored of it like I did the first one but it will keep me entertained until Borderlands 2 comes out. Even then I could see myself hopping into a Transformers Conquest match here and there. They are pretty quick.

Only thing I dont like is my fav character is in this game. Sounds trite at first, but in canon grimlock and the dinobots dont come about until after the autobots arrive on earth.

I agree with you on a lore perspective. In the G1 cartoon they don't come until they arrive on earth. There are other variations people have said, on other forums I have read, in other transformers cartoons that Shockwave visited earth millions of years ago and made the Dinobots at that time then they defected to the Autobot side later on.

I chalk it up to that High Moon wanted to stay on Cybertron for this game for development reasons (time, cost, whatever) but knew they had to give the fans something big to sell the game so they tweaked the lore a bit. Not defending this decision at all I wish they had just gone to earth this game. It almost made me hold off from getting it day one. I think they could of spent perhaps half the game on Cybetron doing stuff and then get us to earth for a few levels and introduce the Dinobots that way. I think they could of pulled that off for sure.

I am assuming the whole game is on Cybertron. I am not far in though. Yeah I am a Transformers geek lol

Vec

Archived