Xbox Kinect - Only for TWO players at a time???

Play.com is reporting on the specifications of the Kinect, and that "this information is based on specifications supplied by manufacturers...".

So yeah, it's probably real. Here is the kicker though. In the specifications is says that the Kinect can recognize and track up to 6 people, including 2 active players.

WHAAA!?!? Really? So all those videos of families dancing around stupidly in front of their television are bogus because ALL of them aren't playing the games? Only two of them at a time? And the Kinect also only has the ability to map those two active players to Live Avatars?

Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaame!

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6267556.html?tag=latestheadlines%3Btitle%3B6

KINECT TECH SPECS (UNCONFIRMED)

Sensor

Color and depth-sensing lenses

Voice microphone array

Tilt motor for sensor adjustment

Fully compatible with existing Xbox 360 consoles

Field of View

Horizontal field of view: 57 degrees

Vertical field of view: 43 degrees

Physical tilt range: ± 27 degrees

Depth sensor range: 1.2m - 3.5m

Data Streams

320x240 16-bit depth @ 30 frames/sec

640x480 32-bit colour @ 30 frames/sec

16-bit audio @ 16 kHz

Skeletal Tracking System

Tracks up to 6 people, including 2 active players

Tracks 20 joints per active player

Ability to map active players to Live Avatars

Audio System

Live party chat and in-game voice chat (requires Xbox Live Gold Membership)

Echo cancellation system enhances voice input

Speech recognition in multiple

How many people can you fit in front of a TV anyways? lol

It won't be a deal breaker for those interested in it. The fact that it tracks one persons movement, is enough.

You COULD fit quite a few people in front of my old 52" TV. *sad face*

I don't think my room is compatable with kinect. Theres just no way I could get far enough away from the camera for it to have a full body view. Maybe if I had an elaborate set up of mirrors...

I'm not worried about the two people max either. I knew this thing would be lame the day they announced it.

Will it be lame? I think people focus on the fuzzy tiger too much. I like to think about the future. Like squad based shooters, using the voice recognition. Alpha squad, flank left!

There's much you can do with this.

I agree with you PK. There is a LOT that the technology can evolve to. However, from experience, I can tell you that the voice recognition needs a LOT of work also. I remember the horrid experiences of fumbling through EndWar.

"Unit A move to Bravo"

*watches unit start to move to Foxtrot*

(frustrated voice) "UNIT A MOVE TO ******* BRAVO!"

I'd rather have some sort of headtracking unit too. I wish a company would invest more along the lines of that.

I think that Kinect has potential as far as what it can be used for. Speaking your dialogue option in Mass Effect 3, moving troops around in an RTS (think about the R.U.S.E teaser trailer with that interactive map). I have a wait and see approach as far as Kinect is concerned, but I am interested in it because of "Child of Eden" by Q? Entertainment, the makers of Rez and Lumines.

I like to think about the future. Like squad based shooters, using the voice recognition. Alpha squad, flank left!

There's much you can do with this.

I think this is already in a few Clancy games like Endwar (possibly Vegas too). It might be interesting to see if they actually work in hand controls too. It might work wonders for RTS games.

Archived