My 52" TV has finally died....

ThermoNukePanda

I'm a VERY sad panda at the moment.

First off, I'm pretty broke right now. Thankfully the wife starts her new job next week but won't start getting paid till the end of July, so I can wait, but it still sucks.

I bought a 52" Sony rear-projection TV about eight years ago now. I got it brand new direct from Sony at a great price at the time (about $800). It's been a champ, it really has. Never had a single problem with it. Well, for the past year or so it's definitely been on its last legs. The screen has progressively been getting pretty blurry but it's been totally usable.

Coy just called me and told me that the TV totally died. Well, not TOTALLY, but half the screen isn't working and the other half is unusable because of how blurry it is. Already called the local repair shops and it'll average me about $450 for a diagnostic and a new bulb.

I don't have the money to fix it, and I personally think it's a waste to try to repair it considering the expense.

So yeah.... I am teh sad. :(

I do have some workarounds at the moment. I'll have to re-arrange a bit and take my 32" 720p LCD I've been using as a computer monitor/TV for my second Xbox console and put that in place of the busted 52". Then I'll just have to move the 23" LCD I have in the living room which I had my PS3 hooked up to and use that for the computer monitor. It's not a horrible solution and it will work for now....

..... BUT I'LL MISS my BIG TV!!!

Thanks a lot for that PK. I don't even have the money right now though, plus I already have a 32" so I don't really want to downsize from my 52". :(

I figure I'll just wait until Coy starts getting paid again and we can afford the expense. Them I'm going to butter her up and see if she'll buy me a 55" or larger nice LCD or LED 1080p 120hz. :)

Still sucks though. I'll say it again. I'LL MISS my BIG TV!!!

One of the best moves I made in my gaming/tv watching career was going from rear projection to LCD. Seven years is a pretty good run, but now's the time to upgrade to LCD if there ever was a time.

That being said, man, I hope this is the end of all the bad juju you've been subjected to lately.

*Pogre gives Chris a big ol' gaybear hug in front of everyone. :P

That being said, man, I hope this is the end of all the bad juju you've been subjected to lately.

You're ******* telling ME man. LoL I'm getting sooooo fed up with the back to back to back problems.

That's life though right? At least I mostly have my health and a wonderful wife. I think since we have a backup TV (the 32" LCD) that we're going to hold off for a little while. What's most important to me right now since she got the job is getting us out of that stupid little apartment we have. I want to actually be able to rent a nice house or something and have a YARD and a GRILL and someplace to hang out instead of being cooped up in a 2 bedroom piece of crap. I know that's what she wants too. She always talks about it and I want to put my selfish wants for a TV on the backburner for a little bit.

Archived