Activision Explains Why Xbox 360 Gets Call of Duty Elite DLC First

Gamercide

You silly Playstation 3 gamers.  Just because you buy a Call of Duty Elite subscription does not mean that you get the DLC first, those only who have the Xbox 360 get if first.  Confused? Activision’s Dan Amrich took to his blog to explain why this is going on after PS3 gamers started complaining that they are receiving the DLC last.

“Back in 2010, Activision and Microsoft entered a business deal to release DLC on Xbox 360 earlier than other platforms; this contract is valid through the year 2012. This business deal was very widely reported by the games media when the announcement was made at E3 in 2010, and the DLC releases for both Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops was released in accordance with that contract. All DLC for MW3 will follow the terms of that deal as well, because it’s still 2012.

<snip>

I wondered where people would have gotten that idea — had someone actually promised that, or said something at XP 2011 that I missed? — so I researched it. What I found was that you can’t prove the non-existence of something. I can find no evidence of “buy Elite, get PS3 DLC same time as 360″ ever being so much as suggested by any official source. It was never one of the things listed in the official benefits chart; it was never promised by any representative of Activision, Call of Duty, Elite, or its developers. Honestly? I think gamers just convinced themselves that it would happen because they wanted it to happen. That makes sense, but it doesn’t make it true.

<snip>

So…that’s where we are. The deal from 2010 is why DLC comes out on Xbox 360 first. I’m seeing people scream “rip-off” and stuff like that, but nobody’s going to get ripped off; every gamer will get everything they were promised and everything they paid for. It’s unfortunate that people assumed things about Elite that turned out to not be based in fact, but I hope the truth is clear now. Unpopular, I’m guessing, but clear.”

There’s more to that blog post then just my little snippets, but let’s be honest here.  All that this comes down to is a bunch of whiny PS3 gamers who are complaining about spending extra money for a subscription to a game where the multiplayer is technically free?  Did I sum that up right Mr. Amrich, because I think that’s what you really wanted to say.

via Dam Amrich Blog

View the full article

Huh, completely forgot that thing was still going on, and I won't say i'm to up to date on CoD news, but I never saw that deal brought up after CoD elite was announed. I would probably be pretty pissed if I only just found that out after the first map pack comes out. They at least should have put a little blurb somewhere on the CoD elite site if there isn't one.

Archived