Anyway to get it start it up?

Twiztid Rose

I'm pretty sure my kids got a virus from Facebook on the pc. Shanes cousin gave us the computer cuz the old one broke down. We'd only had it a short time, and I didn't realize there wasn't any damn virus protection on it until it was too late. Now it just sits on the windows xp screen, and it won't go to the password page. Is there anyway I can force it to load up? I can clean it out, once I get it to load up (I think..). .

Well, I finally got it to load up. But I think the viruses deleted important files. It took forever to even open up an internet page. Keeps asking what program you want to open it with.

I have antivirus protection through comcast. But every time I try to download it, it doesn't work. Well, it says it downloaded the intial step, but when you click on it, it just says file not found.

I think I am just gonna have to take it to a shop and see if they can fix it, because I have no clue what I am doing. But it isn't a necessity right now.

Thanks for helping me to at least get it to load up though!

Sorry, clicked on GG link after I posted...

Does that work with a virus GG? I've used system restore in the past, but didn't think it would work when dealing with viruses. If it would work, I could give it a shot!

Oh, while I got you guys, got another question pc related...

I've been having a problem on my laptop (one I'm using), every time I try to open anything that uses Windows Explorer (ie: windows update; control panel; documents) it says it stopped working and it is looking for a solution. Then it just closes the page and doesn't do anything. My laptop is holding all my pics ect. hostage. And it still won't play videos on youtube.

Sounds like you are in need of a full restore. If you can get into safe mode with the above options you should be able to get to your pictures and documents. Best to back them up to a flash drive before you attempt any restore.

You mean for the laptop? Safe mode will allow windows explorer to run? I'll give it a shot if so. I thought about system restoring my laptop, but I have no idea when it encountered the problem. Or what the problem is.

Yea it should work Rose. I had two viruses withen weeks of each other and had to restore to an earlier point and it worked. Both times virus protection didnt fix the problem after getting the virus. Anti virus did basically nothing for me so I did step 1. And I went back to an earlier state and it basically went back to how it was that day. If that doesn't work you can do then you can try step two which will basically restore it back to factory default. You will basically lose everything if you do this but it will be better than not having a computer at all. You might want to ask dat or someone to make sure that is the best course of action though. Both worked like a charm for me. I had to do step 2 on my old computer because I wanted to give it to my parents and it is basically like a brand new computer now.

I opened my laptop in safe mode, and was able to get into my pics and documents. I need to look around and see if I've got a disc or something to move everything to. Then I will restore it.

I'm going to try system restore on the kids computer today. **Crosses Fingers!**

Oh God. I have no idea. My cousin in law gave it to us. I'll look real quick... Its a HP Pavilion a1310n. Idk if you needed that at the end, but thats what it says.

Ok, heres my problem now. I loaded it up again, and went to the control panel. When I click on system restore it asks me what program do I want to open it with. WTH? Its like you have to hold its hand to do anything on it. Those viruses must have deleted alot of crap. When you click on Security Center, it says file not found. I have no clue what program it would be to open system restore! Any idea?

Just incase you were talking about the laptop, its an Acer Extensa.

I found it! I found it!!! =D I just looked around until I found it.

It was saying C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe cannot be found in the popups.

Its restoring right now. I restored to the earliest date possible, but that was only back to Oct. 24th. But it should be fine at that date I think. Oh geez, I hope this works!! Ashley will be overjoyed if it does. So by restoring it it should put all the important files back in place right?

Moral of the story? No Facebook without virus protection!!!

Thank you guys so much for all your help! Wouldn't have been able to do it without you! :wub:

I am so beyond annoyed. This computer is pissing me the **** off! I did the restore last night, but it got stuck in the shutdown. I had to force shut it. So I come down today intending on checking if it worked. First thing I did was click on the options that yesterday said were not found. Same thing different damn day! I checked and it did say it was restored. Now I have restored computers before, and I seem to remember alot more restore dates possible. Is it possible that the viruses deleted the restores before the virus was installed? I have no clue what to do now, but I'm tired of messing with the stupid thing.

It keeps coming back to that file being not found, the one I said in the above post. For the comcast virus protection, it downloads to within that file. I tried to put it somewhere else, like the desktop, which it puts the icon there, but is still tied to the system32 files. Is it possible to redownload those files? I'm thinking not, and I'm thinking I'm screwed. Why the **** do people want to ruin other peoples ******* computers???!!! GRRRRR!! :angry:

It might be bringing up the bios instead. Let it get past the main bios screen then hold F11. Did it say anything else or have recovery manager on the screen anywhere?

And if you need to reboot you can just power the system down and then back up. Hold the power button in until it goes off.

Archived