need help picking a pc headset

exTOMex

im looking to get a new headset, i have a razer carcharias now, and im looking to get something better. im also going to buy this sound card, http://tinyurl.com/8xsvnth .

my main uses for the headset are going to be gaming and music. price wise, i dont mine spending upto $200 for something thats going to be worth it. thanks

I find headsets to be very subjective. However I have to recemmond purchasing this:

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp/mixamp-usb

Or the wireless version:

http://www.astrogaming.com/mixamp/mixamp-5-8

The X-Fi sound card outputting 5.1 optical to either of those receiving units will sound fantastic. The x-Fi has emulated surround via stereo option, but I can say firsthand the 5.1 that gets mixed into 2 channels from those units is soo much better. It would be worth investing and trying your current headset with the amp.

Plus the unit can be used with consoles as well.

I still say the Tritton AX Pros are a great headset. Full 5.1 surround sound, built in mic, and it works on PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 (plugs in through optical or analog, and USB for mic on PS3 and PC). Price isn't too bad either. No wireless, but that just means no batteries. The mic works on the 360 and PS3 as well. Only one power cable too that splits to both the decoder box and headset.

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Precision-Playstation-3-PC/dp/B0017IUFAE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324444953&sr=8-1

i'm personally a fan of the Astro A40s. Works with anything from PCs to consoles to MP3 players, etc... Made from quality materials, color and decal customization, able to choose which side the mic is on, fully adjustable audio via the mixamp, and more. Can't go wrong.

A40_WS_Yrbk_1.jpg

Yeah Joe. I love my A40s too. Don't like the A30s as much. I didn't recommend them because with the Mixamp and headset it would be pretty far out of the range he wants to spent.

The Mixamp with his current headset may be good enough for him, which is why I suggested to get I first. Otherwise I do highly recommend the A40s if you don't mind spending a good deal of money for the entire package.

The don't sound as good as my sennheiser hd 595s but those don't have a mic. The Astros are great for gaming.

Honestly I would buy the mixamp first. It's just a headphone amp/receiver. There are not headphones with it. I'd buy it and try the headset you have with it. I bought the A40s because I didn't have an actual headphone/mic headset prior to them. What you have now, combined with the mixamp may be perfect for you. Worth trying first before buying the A40s as well.

okay i can deal with that mute button, my cheap headset (that i sat on and broke) had the button by the mic on the headset so it was useful. but one last question lol

the headset plugs (the volume and mic?) into the mix amp but what is plugging into the mixamp into the pc or would it be pluging into the sound card

You will want to use an optical cable. Which the mixamp comes with. You will plug the optical cable between the Mixamp and the sound card and make sure Dolby digital live is enabled in the creative control panel. This will make sure you get 5.1 audio in all your games.

Edit:

The wireless Mixamp comes with one. I don't know for sure about the wired.

I have the Razer Carcharias too as my headset, but I have also been looking into the Steelseries which Z (www.twitch.tv/psmtv) uses. I like the way that the microphone is retractable, and the headsets come in a variety of colors.

I know that most people don't care what their headset might look like, but I'm pretty picky when it comes to certain colors.

Archived