FACE TRANSPLANT! GROSS!

MWB

I don't really find it gross. It's just amazing how much surgery has progressed over the years. Face transplants are crazy to think about, that's some dead person's face. Main problem with face transplants though is you have to take immunosuppressive medication for the rest of your life, so you risk completely screwing over your immune system and other organs.

it's just a lump of dead meat sewn onto his face. it doesn't even match. omg, so nasty. looks like he stepped right out of a movie....a very ****** up movie. the hills have eyes or something along those lines.

im not againts this type of surgery, but i dont agree with it as well.

It can be usefull for some people that might need it, but it still early and atm, in this case, it does'nt fit and looks terrible.

Well I imagine it looks way better now than it did before... After seeing those X-rays... how is that guy even alive??

Well I imagine it looks way better now than it did before... After seeing those X-rays... how is that guy even alive??

it probably does, i wont tsay the opposite.

But this type of surgery is still "new". Give it IMO 30 years before we will actually see people getting this typ of surgery and taht we wont be able to tell he had it.

I think the lack of muscle and nerve movement is what will bother most. Like MWB said, it is basically a lump of dead skin sewn on to the guys face. Once they get the tech to get everything wired up and attached correctly, it will probably be common place for people with facial or even other types of skin problems.

i remember the first guy to get a limb transplant a few years ago. he hated it, stopped taking his meds, and had it removed. he said it was just a useless dead lump sewn onto him. he didn't use those exact words, but similar. i think he even said when it started to feel a little it was worse.

yeah, im not sure what would be worse. the lump looks pretty bad, and half my face gone would suck too

Yeah but like Kira and Spawn said you gotta start somewhere. It's definitely in its early stages but the more it's done the more it can advance.

i can understand that its just the first attempt, but come on. you cant tell me you would be happy with that on your face. start point or no, you cant just throw something out there and call it ready to go. got to revise and improve before selling it to the world

i can understand that its just the first attempt, but come on. you cant tell me you would be happy with that on your face. start point or no, you cant just throw something out there and call it ready to go. got to revise and improve before selling it to the world

True but if you see his face before, I think I would rather have that then two thirds of my face full of benign tumors.

Here's a link to another article about him in case ya'll are interested: http://www.thesun.co...oes-public.html

It has a picture of his face prior to the surgery (not just the xray).

tumors? i thought he had a shotgun blast. maybe it was a different dude. i know of two that were done. i thought this one was the most recent and extensive?

i'm not reading anymore about it. it disturbs me now that i see the pic. at first, i was glad for the guy. whatever. as long as he likes it.

tumors? i thought he had a shotgun blast. maybe it was a different dude. i know of two that were done. i thought this one was the most recent and extensive?

i'm not reading anymore about it. it disturbs me now that i see the pic. at first, i was glad for the guy. whatever. as long as he likes it.

Yeah this guy had a genetic disease called neurofibromatosis type 1, which has some effect on cell division and causes non-cancerous tumors.

There have been 10 face transplants worldwide thus far, I think.

I don't really find graphic medical stuff that gross really - more, interesting. How did he survive without the lower portion of his skull? How did an injury that bad not kill him? And why did the lower and upper face not match in colour?

Did you guys not read the little snippets next to the pictures? He had benign tumors growing in his face.

And for people against the surgery, I think of it like this. How is it going to get better if we don't start somewhere? How will we learn to get nerve endings to these areas if we don't do the surgery because it 'doesn't look good'?

I don't see a problem. It doesn't gross me out, and it's surely better than having no bottom half of your face. You can't expect it to look that great with current technology in an area where not many actual procedures have been performed, so as other people have said, they have to start somewhere. Pretty much once you get disfigured that badly, you'll never really look all that normal even with surgery. So having misfitting bottom of your face is better than the jawless zombie look.

Archived