Morrowind

JbMcfee

Yeah, Morrowind is an awesome game, I got the GOTY on pc a little while back, it is really good. The only annoying part of the chance to hit thing for me was the spells. I could never get one to work =/. Ah well. Good fun anyway, deep, intriguing game.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea the werewolf ring was bad ***. Put it on and boom your run faster and are twice as powerful, but good npcs will attack you and they will always attack you if they see you change. Also the boots of blinding speed were pretty awesome. You can run from one part to another in a few seconds but it blinds you the screen goes black when you put them on so you can't see where you are going lol.

ohh. Get it for sure! Ill post more later when its not from my phone! But ill hook you up with the mods that are worth it. Particularly some mods to get the resolution up to standards. And a good one a friend and i made. Story, well something can be said of depth when writers can write what they want without worrying about the cost of voice acting. Trust me. You will love the pc version

Yeah Morrowind was amazing. I almost wish that the two were switched, Morrowind and Oblivion, so Morrowind would be the same but with modern graphics and physics, and Oblivion was the old one. Playing as a werewolf was great, and the Boots of Blinding Speed are like the best boots in the game. Pro tip - set up a combination of equipment and spells to get your resistance to magic at 100%, it only needs to last a second or two so the spells aren't that mana costly, then pause it and equip the Boots of Blinding Speed. It only runs the checks to reduce your vision right when you put them on, but afterwards the spell resistances can wear off but you still can see. I totally would have played a Khajiit, because they are awesome, but they can't wear shoes in Morrowind, so I'd miss out on those boots. :(

As for mods, I highly recommend the Morrowind Graphics Extender (I think that's what it's called) if you can find it. It gives you all kinds of options to improve the graphics of the game, including options for increasing the view range, or even turning the fog off altogether! (the fog is ridiculous in Morrowind, but it looks amazing when you take it away). Damn, I think I'm going to reinstall Morrowind on my laptop and play it again, if I can get the MGE to work again (it got messed up for some reason last time and wouldn't work anymore :( )

And lol at your sig, Title. Out of context stuff ftw lol.

The main city, Vivec, had me walking in circles for ages though. No happy memories of that city. :)

Dater, would you mind send me a list of mods you like, if you have the time? It would be interesting to see.

Well, let me start by saying that I really didn't get into many mods when I played... I know that sounds strange, but I am a Elder Scrolls lore junky and the game and expansions has SO MUCH CONTENT, that it is really unreal. If you finish the game and haven't covered everything I highly recommend buying a guide. Use it to locate things, because there are so many small stories and hidden content that its unbelievable. As a matter of fact, some of my favorite quests were the ones that weren't quests at all. The ones where you happen upon some poor star crossed lovers last note, or the abandon shack with a hidden message, etc. Those are what make the game world feel so large, and alive, despite its older and less intuitive AI. Morrowind is about story and RPG, and it fulfills both. The only ONLY things I would change about Morrowind is to bring it up to date with graphics. Not so much the look, but the distance. MGE does this to an extent, but its not the same native visible distance as Oblivion. So, anyhow, my point is, I played almost the entire game the first time without any mods whatsoever. Mainly because I played when it FIRST came out, I mean, I had been awaiting this game since Daggerfall, and the content available at the time was more or less crap. Usually mods that added crap to make the game easier or what not. Now, there are better full fleshed mods, but I never got around to playing a lot of them. Especially since I spent so much time making one of my own and exploring every nook and cranny of what was already in the game.

So, most of this list is Graphics related:

Wrye Mash Uber utility for managing save games, mods etc. A must if you use a lot of mods.

Morrowind Graphics Extender This adds a lot of stuff to bring Morrowind into a more modern era, but the main reason I ever used it was to support wide screen resolutions.

Morrowind Code Patch Fixes a lot of bugs and adds some gameplay issues. Similar to Oblivions Unofficial Patch. All changes are optional through installer.

Morrowind Texture Pack Increases Texture resolution considerably. This makes the game look better, but sometimes loses the original feel.

Better Bodies Changes the bodies and basically makes them look better, but also loses so of the original feel of the game.

Animal Realism Makes the animals more realistic... IE they don't always attack you. I use it almost exclusively for those GD Cliff Racers ( However, I suggest playing for awhile without it... just so you can see what I mean! )

Irgolas Replacement Finally, I wouldn't feel right without endorsing my own product! This is a simple mod that finishes the story of Irgola of Caldera. This is one of those sub stories that were never fleshed out so my friend and I decided to finish it. Also includes a purchasable pack guar that will follow you around. Along with a few other armor and weapon pieces.

Well, that pretty much sums it up. If absolutely nothing else I would install the Graphics Extender, especially if you have a widescreen monitor. AND of course Irgolas Replacement :) ( Though I recommend exploring the town thoroughly before you start it. Since the town has the back story. )

Heh, I'm installing it now to play again!

Pictures! With most of the graphics mods installed:

Morrowind+1.jpg

Morrowind+2.jpg

Morrowind+3.jpg

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you a giant in Seyda Neen, or just levitating? lol

That image freaked me out.

Dat's right. There is so much stuff in Morrowind. This is why I was so disappointed with Oblivion. Nothing was hidden. Everything there was to find, were in containers. Even those weren't hidden. You found them where you'd expect to find them. In Morrowind, you need to check the rafters inside of buildings, in between the floorboards and even under pillows! That's just the inside of buildings. When you're in caves etc, always look for alcoves and higher places. Put your levitation to work, and you may just find a rare Daedric helmet or something. =]

I want to play it now. I may buy it on Steam. Damn it. lol

Whoa whoa whoa. Are you a giant in Seyda Neen, or just levitating? lol

That image freaked me out.

Dat's right. There is so much stuff in Morrowind. This is why I was so disappointed with Oblivion. Nothing was hidden. Everything there was to find, were in containers. Even those weren't hidden. You found them where you'd expect to find them. In Morrowind, you need to check the rafters inside of buildings, in between the floorboards and even under pillows! That's just the inside of buildings. When you're in caves etc, always look for alcoves and higher places. Put your levitation to work, and you may just find a rare Daedric helmet or something. =]

I want to play it now. I may buy it on Steam. Damn it. lol

You should so you can play my mod too ;) haha. It needs love. Oh, and I'm just levitating lol.

ohhhh, and I forgot! To anyone else who hasn't played it on PC. You HAVE to play to see the opening sequence. I'm not sure what it was, but it was the most fulfilling opening to me any game ever had. It may have lost some of its luster with modern games, but for some reason I absolutely loved the look of the game when you first stepped out of the boat. The weather and time of day were set intentionally and it was just awesome.

Definitely. I have another friend who also made a mod that I always wanted to check out. He created an island off of Seyda Neen, complete with its own missions.

I see you included Better Bodies in your list of mods. What about Better Heads, though?

*edit* I agree with Dat. When you first lay your eyes on your new surroundings, it's awesome. Then it becomes scary, shortly thereafter. lol

Definitely. I have another friend who also made a mod that I always wanted to check out. He created an island off of Seyda Neen, complete with its own missions.

I see you included Better Bodies in your list of mods. What about Better Heads, though?

*edit* I agree with Dat. When you first lay your eyes on your new surroundings, it's awesome. Then it becomes scary, shortly thereafter. lol

lol, I didn't really care very much for the newer heads, but I did forget about including it here.

I just liked some of the facial tattoos that some had. If it's the same one I'm thinking of.

lol, probably. There is a bunch of them.

Added Note:

Anyone planning to use the Morrowind Graphics Extender on Windows 7 should go here:

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1080781-morrowind-graphics-extender-mge/

It lists fixes for making sure it works with Windows 7

Cliff Racers! I liked them. Don't understand why everyone hates them so much. They were great targets for my Dwarven crossbow.

Looks great. Better than I've ever seen it. Would have loved to of seen a Daedric shrine up close.

Well, doesn't look like they got the Daedric shrine textures changed. I'll have to see if there are any anywhere.

Morrowind+4.jpg

hmmm i wonder if i could run this on my comp. i never got very far on the xbox version, got lost and gave up lol

Whatcha running? The minimum requirements for the base game without all the addons and mods is pretty basic. 256MB ram, 500Mhz CPU, and 32MB Direct3d compatible video card! Not to mention there are FPS optimizers out there.

I love this game. I just spent my entire night messing around in it again. Scroll of Icarian Flight FTW! You can jump from the mainland to the Bloodmoon island with it!

Archived