Metal Gear Solid 4 Discussion Thread

ThermoNukePanda

So after having this game linger around my house for a loooooong time, unloved and unplayed, I decided to pop it into my PS3 this weekend and play through it.

Wow. Talk about long cutscenes! I mean, I loved the game completely. Incredible story and incredible graphics, but I really felt the gameplay was sparse. It was like a movie that was interspersed with some gameplay moments.

But yeah, I loved the game. Definitely was worth the $19.99 I paid for the game. Anyone else played it/beaten it?

I disagree with damn near everything you said about it. . .. Oh hell ya those cut scenes are pretty damn long (wait till the end). . but "sparse gameplay" .. sorry I don't agree with that at all. First off, it does start off rather slow, so .. how far did you get? Do you have your MKII yet? The game will really start to pick up when you get that thing and a multitude of customizable weapons. You could spend 5 or 10 minutes on your weapons cache deciding what and how you want to modify it. There's TONS of areas to explore in what seems like a small level. You don't have to help either side at war but it makes for a more engaging game if you do pick a side. Not to mention all the multiple ways to get through a level .. guns blazing will get you through in a few minutes, stealth, exploration, and guard take downs (they are fun) will likely make some of the shorter levels last around 20 minutes.

Have the Beasts arrived yet? .. THAT cut scene is well worth watching. It's better than some action movies I've seen. These boss fights are some of the most intense and interesting parts the game has to offer. It really picks up speed as it progresses and it's full of so many inside Metal Gear jokes that you'll be pretty entertained. Also at the end you can replay it with all your Drebin points and weapons. I am a GOD now and I kill everything.

and Raiden is super badass!!!

What makes this game original and intresting is also what also hurts it. It doesn't really have a catorgory and a lot of hardcore gamers are turned off by what seems to be lack of game play and long cut scenes. Casual gamers will find it too difficult to really enjoy (learning the CQC is difficult), and the commitment you have to give the game. Also if you haven't played every game since Metal Gear Solid on the PS1 the story wont mean **** to you.

As you can see .. I LLOOOOVVVVEE me some Metal Gear!

I did play through the full game over the weekend and did complete it. I did watch the 70+ minute final cutscene.

As I said, I loved the story! I really just felt that the story got in the way a little of the gameplay. That being said though, I did enjoy it fully. I've played every MGS game since the PS1 (and for the record, about crapped my pants when I finally got to Shadow Moses in this game!!! When the game loaded up and it was all PS1 style it blew my mind!! Totally awesome!!!)

I love all the character interaction and whatnot. It's a beautiful story and quite touching in parts (I loved when Meryl said no to Johnny, only to ask him on her own terms. LoL), but I would have LOVED to actually play as Raiden for a little. I agree, Raiden is a monster. I wanted to thrash some bad dudes while he was armless and had the sword in his mouth.

I also love having the Octocamo facemask as the MGS1 snake. :)

You got through the whole game in one weekend ?? .. I must say that's really badass!! I think I played it for 3 or so weeks. I felt the same way with the Shadow Moses part .. even after the PS1 graphics. I couldn't believe what I came across and all the detail from the battles in the first game that were still there, how much the base looks rundown and abandoned, .. and I think that helicopter you shot down is still around there somewhere, or that might have been a flashback.

If you skip the cutscenes I you get about 6-10 hours of game play (or longer if you choose not to kill anyone), and that's a pretty satisfying game time. Go back and replay it blowing everything up with that Rail Gun .. of so satisfying :D!!! There's also more stuff to find .. other mask and camo patterns I think .. but it's the standard Metal Gear replay thing . . . keep exploring find more loot, collect some crap, get an awesome weapon at the end.

I think we get to play as Raiden in this next MG game .. the one that'll come out on the PS3 and 360, but I'm sure you saw that at last years E3.

I don't know what to think of this game .. it's hard to recommend but it's also hard not to say it's a must play. It certainly does blur the lines between Movie and Game .. and like you said it's an Interactive Movie. I think this game really showed a new way of storytelling or how a story can be told. No longer is there separate categories (movie, game, book) .. with MGS4 all of those are combined for a very enjoyable experience.

Yes, I got through the whole game in one weekend (And I put in a good 15+ hours for sure, probably closer to at least 20). My Xbox felt kind of unloved over the weekend. LoL

And yeah, the RailGun is pretty beast, although I do prefer the bullpup magnum sniper rifle! That thing is AWESOME. :) I could probably buy a bunch more weapons (I have about 250k Drebin points), but I didn't really seem to need anything other than my M4, the Mogin Nasant and bullpup sniper. I don't even think I threw a single grenade once in the game. Wait, I take that back, I did throw ONE chaff grenade in the Shadow Moses complex.

I did thoroughly enjoy revisiting Shadow Moses. I liked how it had a lot of voiceovers from MGS1, flashbacks, etc. It was stellar to go back through and be like "Hey, I remember this!". Definitely a plus in my mind.

Now, if they would just remake MGS1 (and even MGS2, which is my favorite in the series!!! That game was a COMPLETE MINDFUUUUK towards the end!) then I'd be extremely happy.

I'm thinking about picking up Peace Walker for the PSP this week too. Played the demo and was pretty impressed, and I'd love to get more story out of the backhistory with Big Boss.

Oh throw some grenades .. it's FUN!!! .. Get the ones that start people on fire and lay down on your back and toss one. I loved doing that. I picked up that Bullpup too when it was on sale. .. love that gun. These guns in MGS4 are my favorites for any weapons for video games (even better than Borderlands). There's just something about the firing them off. Did you find your original gun from MGS in Shadow Moses? .. it's not to special .. just cool to have it again.

I like blowing up some of the tanks with some of the rocket launchers and the grenade launcher you get off one of the Beasts is great to go on a killing spree with.

I don't think they really need to remake any of the previous games unless it was simply to update some of the graphics (like GoW collection) but from what I remember MGS2 still looked pretty damn fine. If you pick up Peace Walker let me know how it is.. I haven't touched my PSP in a while.

Yeah, MGS4 really was a great game. I also beat it in like 2-3 days lol, because I was staying at the house of a friend who had it and a PS3 and really wanted to beat the game lol. I like how you get a pixelated snake mask from MGS1 when you go to Shadow Moses. The series is just amazing, despite some long cutscenes (the long history lesson from the intro to MGS3 was probably the most boring), now that I can hook up my Trittons to the PS2 via optical, I may have to replay them in 5.1. :)

I would like to play Peace Walker, but that's only if I end up buying Armi's PSP lol.

Also, there's an Altair outfit in MGS4, but I believe you have to beat the whole game without being detected and only using melee or something crazy like that to get it.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, well I skipped about every post just so I can say this, but this game is ******** amazing! Probably my favorite game at the moment. I just started Act 4, which is why I skipped past every post, in fear of spoilers. But my god, honestly can't stop playing this game.

I thought MGS 4 was a very good game. A little heavy on the cut scenes, but they were done beautifully, and really added to the story. It's one of the few games that I actually got emotionally invested in.

Archived