Amazon's Kindle Fire VS B&N Nook Tablet

ThermoNukePanda

Kindle Fire - $199

B&N Nook Tablet - $249

I just cancelled my pre-order for the Kindle Fire. I know that Amazon's eco-system and marketplace is much more robust, and I'm a Prime member so I could watch all the Amazon Prime Instant Movies but a few things about the Nook Tablet have swayed me.

- 16GB internal memory (Fire has 8GB)

- Nook Tablet has a seperate SD slot, to expand an additional 32GB. Having the SD slot also means I may be able to load custom Android OS roms (Like Cyanogenmod) to get full Android, and possible Ice Cream Sandwich OS. (Kindle Fire has no SD slot)

- Nook Tablet has 1GB RAM (Fire has 512mb)

- Nook Tablet has Netflix and Hulu+ preinstalled (Fire relies on Amazon Instant Streaming for Prime members)

Other than that they're practically the same. I don't trust Amazon's "Silk" web browser (I think it collects too much info), and I definitely will miss out on the Amazon Android Marketplace to start out with (hopefully I can root it down the road to get it), but I think I may be happier with the Nook overall in the long run.

What do you guys think? I know Spawn has a rooted Nook and was raving about it a long time ago. *shrugs*

Oh yeah, and the Nook Tablet supports the .MKV video file type right out of the box. I pretty much haven't seen many devices offer that like EVER so it will make my life easier not having to always convert to watch on a different device.

Oh yeah, and the Nook Tablet supports the .MKV video file type right out of the box. I pretty much haven't seen many devices offer that like EVER so it will make my life easier not having to always convert to watch on a different device.

Sounds like the Nook is the better of the two then. And MKV support is pretty awesome. A large portion of the videos I watch are that format. Especially animes since it supports multiple video/audio/subtitle streams. It's a pretty good container, but not really supported by much other than PCs.

Archived