Battlefield 3 Will Have Day One Out of the Box Update

Gamercide

battlefield3_scan-1.jpg?m=1319123764

Talk about embarassing.  EA has announced that Battlefield 3 will have a day one update that gamers will be required to install in order to play the game and that all media reviews of the shooter be held off until a week after it’s release.  EA has also added that Xbox 360 gamers will have to download the game to their hard drive in order to see the graphics at their best representation.  What is EA’s reasoning behind the day one update?  DICE are perfectionists of course!

“DICE are perfectionists — they will not stop polishing the game until it is in your hands” claimed EA.

Why yes, gamers across the board will accept that giberish especially after the horrible, cheat filled beta preview for Battlefield 3 which happens to be less than a week away from it’s launch.  EA must think we are stupid mindless drones with controllers in our hands.

Sorry EA and DICE.  This girl will be ponying up for Modern Warfare 3 instead.  Ouch!

via Wolf’s Gaming Blog

View the full article

I'm so looking forward to this game....NOT!

Well, really, I was...there seem to be a whole lot of harsh critics who just want to put down the game. Not that they're making me believe it's going to be terrible...it's just that they're ruining my anticipation. Still pre-ordered, I have some semblance of faith.

I'm getting it and i'm gonna love it. no more COD for this guy until they either stop putting out the same game every year or 2, or get the guys from Infinity Ward back (never gonna happen I know.).

Concerning BF3, obviously there was gonna be a day one patch to fix all the stuff they learned from the beta. Durrr DA Durrrr

Eh, EA completely messed up with marketing this game, even if the beta was from a while ago with all the bugs patched out , shouldn't have a released a build like the one they did that close to the release date. Lots of games have day one patches, we'll just have to wait and see(though I'm not getting the game for a while anyway).

Oh, and I just gotta say this, I've experiences 10 times as much glitching and cheating in the CoD games then in any of the battlefield games. I actually sold MW2 because of that crap.

I would be wary of getting either game in the first few months of release.

DICE General Manager Karl Magnus Troedsson posted with the news, saying “the fact that Battlefield 3 is clearly our biggest game launch ever by a magnitude of 6 makes it doubly important to test everything.”

He also mentions that the code being tested is a relatively early version, designed to stress test servers as well as highlight bugs that need fixing.

“The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old.” writes Trodsson. “We need to test the new back end dedicated server structure we’ve built. Not only have we built a new game engine, but an entirely new back end system so that everyone can enjoy the benefits of dedicated servers on all platforms.

“Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up. This means that the code you are now playing is actually quite early and not representative of the final game.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/04/battlefield-3-beta-has-12-million-players-is-based-on-month-old-build/

Wanted to also link to a great article I read last week, which states that most betas work this way. They're usually older builds of the games and they're usually mostly testing server strain and net code. It also explained why it was best to use older builds, since getting a new build up and ready for a beta so close to release, that it'd inevitably push the release back. During crunch time, every team is working on the final product ready to go gold.

I think probably one of the big issues with this particular beta was that....it was actually a beta. That word gets thrown around a bit these days on consoles, with all those pre order to get the beta type deals, and most often they are really just demo's of the finished product. This one was an actual beta, but they marketed it in a way that we would think it's a nearly flawless final build like the previous big console betas.

Thank you PPK and Pan. It's always nice to hear people talk when they have their facts straight.

I'm kinda hopeful that most of the children stick with CoD, Gears, Halo and leave the Battlefield to the men & women....I can dream can't I?

Can't remember where i saw this but I saw a interview with Treyarch about CoD3 and they asked them "what do you say to those people saying that you are just recycling last years CoD with new skin?" I swear to you he started his answering by saying, "well we are using the same engine but we are adding all new character models, new guns, new maps". He basically just confirmed that it is the same game but with some new stuff. Until they fix the major flaw for me, the hit detection (which has been worse with the Treyarch releases, more than Infinity Ward) and i liked IW level designs better.

That beta was completely ******. I don't care what DICE tries to say. I've play other closed and open betas where the game performs better than that and isn't releasing for another few months. That was a poor showing for a game that is releasing this week. I've been looking forward to this game before the Bad Company's came out and I'm just utterly disappointed with it. When they have opened betas so close to release week, it should be near as perfect as they can get it. I buy the Battlefield's for the multiplayer and that was painful to play.

Hope that was readable. I have a migraine at work and I can't see the PC screen right so I have no clue if I'm typing the right words, lol :P

Archived