Insomniac Responds to Resistance 3′s Disappointing US Sales

Gamercide

images%20%2836%29.jpg?m=1318862858What’s a developer to do when their third installment of their popular series, Resistance sells rather poorly in the United States?  Go on the defensive of course.

Insomniac Game’s Resistance 3 was not as huge of a hit as they might have hoped here in the United States.  The followup to 2008′s hit Resistance 2, only managed to sell a meger 180,00 copies during it’s first month release compared to Resistance 2 which sold 385,000.

GamersMint who posted an article detailing their let down first month sales, compared Resistance 3′s sales to Dead Island’s first month sales which released on the same day.  Dead Island happened to move over 2 million copies.  So what did Insomniac have to say about Resistance 3′s low sales.

“Comparing Resistance 3′s sell-through number on one platform to Dead Island’s copies shipped number on 3 platforms isn’t really an Apples to Apples comparison.” stated CM  James Steveson.

Okay I can see that.  Let’s compare Playstation’s exclusive Resistance 3 to another popular shooter that just so happens to be an exclusive to the Xbox 360, Gears of War 3.  Gears of War 3 moved 3 million copies.  ‘Nuff said, right?  Nope, not according to Insomniac.  Insomniac later responded to a twitter post by a fan who said they were sorry to hear of the sales numbers by saying “What bad news?” and followed another question up with “oh, no, the numbers are accurate, but that was still good enough for #7 on the US charts”.

Here’s to hoping that Insomniac will have some better luck with Ratchet and Clank which is releasing this week and maybe learn some better marketing techniques to boost those sales of a supposed AAA shooter.

via Gamersmint

View the full article

I would have to think a lot of the sales is due to a not nearly as grand multiplayer base. Not to mention the troubles with multiplayer on PS3 as it is. I own all three of the games myself, but I have yet to play them. They seem worthy of a single player run from what I have played though.

and that I can see with 1st party devs. However the 3rd party devs need to give it up. They are missing out on developing a wider fan base for their games. I for one know that I would play alot of other games that are on the PS3 if they were on the 360. I just can't stand the Playstation's controller. It fits so wierd in my hands that it makes playing games uncomfortable.

I like competition, but I hate fanboyism and the companies that propagate it. Game exclusives bring out the worst fan boys. A recent example of this is Dark Souls. Demon Souls, the first game in the series, was a PS3 exclusive. Now that it's out on both consoles, you have crazy fanboys talking all sorts of silly smack about 360 users playing the game. They can't possibly know how to play the game, etc.

If the console makers didn't add to the fanboyism and exploit it, it'd be easy enough to ignore the low turnout of silly fanboys. They've made that population soar, though, and they aren't going to stop anytime soon.

Just found out that the 360 build of BF3 will require an install if you want your game looking 'hi def'. Without an install the textures will look super weak. This will be another major fanboy exploit. haha

*edit* Makes me wonder if that terrible Gamestop BF3 ad uses the 360 version without an install. Game looks so horrible in that commercial.

Archived