June 6th will be the last day for me...

ThermoNukePanda

It's a tough decision, but I think I'm going to finally give it a rest.

On June 6th, 2010 (if everything keeps going the way it is):

I WILL HAVE PLAYED MY XBOX 360 EVERY DAY FOR THE PAST ONE THOUSAND DAYS STRAIGHT!!!!

Yup, you read that correct. 1,000 days of straight gaming. Even if I didn't play for hours on a given day, I still found time to turn on my 360 for a quick round of an XBLA game or something.

So, I'm going to let my "gaming streak" come to an end. I'm currently ranked as the #47th longest streak in the world on 360Voice with 951 consecutive days currently. It would have been longer, but I lost my streak back in 2006 during a super flood in my area. Went without power for 6 days and had no access online. At that time I had around 400 days straight, and for a little while I didn't really care about it since I lost my streak. It wasn't long before I started up my shenanigans again.

What do you think? Is it time to call it quits and not worry about turning on my 360 every day? It's been kind of an obsession for the past 3 years and in a way it's almost more neurotic for me than gamerscore.

i would just give it up chris. i use to have a long streak a few years ago, turned on the xbox every day just to keep it going. then after taking enough fishing trips i just stopped caring about keeping it alive. personally i wouldnt even wait until june to stop it. if you dont feel like playing a game then dont turn your xbox on. its a nice feeling knowing that i dont have to be on live every day. i have other consoles to play on, and when i feel like playing on my xbox its still gonna be there for me.

I know what you mean Stealthy, but that nice round 1,000 days straight figure just seems like an accomplishment for some reason that I'm determined to break.

blink.gif

As I said, I'm a little neurotic about it. It's kind of weird, and it makes me realize I DO have a gaming addiction of sorts. I just keep telling myself "only 49 more days!" LoL

I know what you mean Stealthy, but that nice round 1,000 days straight figure just seems like an accomplishment for some reason that I'm determined to break.

blink.gif

As I said, I'm a little neurotic about it. It's kind of weird, and it makes me realize I DO have a gaming addiction of sorts. I just keep telling myself "only 49 more days!" LoL

if thats where you want to call it then awesome. you have your set date and know what you need to do. just make sure you have something to do on that 1001st day.

I do, I may swap out my 360 from the large TV and actually hook up my PS3 again so I can play MGS4 and the God of War Collection I have before I check out GoW3, and I also want to play Demon's Souls for awhile.

But I figure I wanted to set an "end date" for this whole thing. It seems like it's going to be a weight off my shoulders, something nice I don't have to obsess about.

At this point Ava, I would probably go to GREAT LENGTHS to continue my gaming streak.

I have a wireless adaptor and would "war-drive" around until I found a connection, even to log on for a quick second to load up a game so the system recognized me as being online.

I'd even use my father's wireless broadband card to get online if I had to. LoL

The 1,000 day mark MUST be met. It's within my grasp.

let me know when you do, i may join you for some online if your up for it

The only problem with that is it's so hard to actually meet up with a FRIEND online. It's all random from my knowledge of the game and from what I've played, isn't it? It's not like I can invite you directly into my world from what I know.

I do like the game though, I just got sidetracked. Demon's Souls is amazing, hands down. It's brutal, it's dark and it's incredible. I really liked it. I was thinking of making a new character. I made a Royal magic user and I figure I'll try something new.

I do, I may swap out my 360 from the large TV and actually hook up my PS3 again so I can play MGS4 and the God of War Collection I have before I check out GoW3, and I also want to play Demon's Souls for awhile.

But I figure I wanted to set an "end date" for this whole thing. It seems like it's going to be a weight off my shoulders, something nice I don't have to obsess about.

You're going to break your video game streak by playing video games on another console? Wow! That's one way to avoid withdrawal. Is the PS3 kinda the equivalent of a nicotine patch for smokers?

The only problem with that is it's so hard to actually meet up with a FRIEND online. It's all random from my knowledge of the game and from what I've played, isn't it? It's not like I can invite you directly into my world from what I know.

Pogre and I got into the same game of Resistance one time. I can't remember how we did it. All I remember is that it wasn't easy.

You're going to break your video game streak by playing video games on another console? Wow! That's one way to avoid withdrawal. Is the PS3 kinda the equivalent of a nicotine patch for smokers?

No, I'm just going to play some other games every now and then and not worry about logging on EVERY day. I still want to play games, just not obsess over turning on my 360. :)

Well, for one thing, Demon's Souls is a RPG and a LOT different than an FPS. You don't have screaming kids in your ear 90% of the time. The online mostly consists of raiding other people's game worlds as a ghost to kill them, joining someone to help kill monsters, or leaving behind "clues" for other people to find (things like "Trap ahead, be careful!")

and to announce this on Earth Day .. wait is today earth day?? .. anyways I'm sure you'll notice your power bill going down .. just in time to turn on the air conditioner! .. Cheers to Mother Earth I always hated you anyways.

Oh.. .. and I haven't read any of this thread yet .. off to Manhattan to make silicone molds at SVA so goodbye forever!

I'll see you guys later tonight.

I say finish up the 1,000, as that would really be a cool number that you could tell people, without the "but you could have gotten to a thousand!", then give it up. It's already impossible for you to get to number 1 with 46 people probably even more obsessed with it than you, who would probably drag their Xbox 360s to a free Wi-Fi hotspot the next town over during a power outage just to keep it going LOL.

I say finish up the 1,000, as that would really be a cool number that you could tell people, without the "but you could have gotten to a thousand!", then give it up. It's already impossible for you to get to number 1 with 46 people probably even more obsessed with it than you, who would probably drag their Xbox 360s to a free Wi-Fi hotspot the next town over during a power outage just to keep it going LOL.

One time during those past days, my local power company accidentally shut off the power to the wrong unit in our apartment complex for an unpaid bill. A neighbor didn't pay their bill, and the stupid tech shut off OUR power. We didn't get it back till the next day.

I drove 20 minutes to my parent's house with one of my consoles just to log it online and boot up Carcassone and Bionic Commando Re-Armed (two games that if you see them in my recent games is because I didn't play that day and just loaded up a few quick XBLA games so it registers).

So yeah, I've been definitely obsessed.

Archived