Need help with headset decisions

Towncryer

Choices are :

Ear Force x41's-Comments about popping and screeching are making me go :huh:

Sharkoon X-Tatic SX -Price has me going :wub: , but the wire connections and such are a dry.gif

Sharkoon X-Tatic SP-Step up from above but also same issues of above. SO..:mellow:

Tritton AX Pro Dolby Digital-Seem heavy and not too comfortable. Also a little on the pricey side. I'd pay it though if it wins approval. Giving it a :unsure:

What say you guys?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure which Sharktoon headset OXM just reviewed, but they pretty much hated the one they reviewed. However, they did review another set, and fell in love with them. They just may be my next pair of headsets.

Logitech F540 Wireless Headset

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040QMB8O/ref=as_li_ss_til?tag=gamercide-20&camp=213381&creative=390973&linkCode=as4&creativeASIN=B0040QMB8O&adid=0KV423Q5JNJS1KFZGSMY&

Usually $149, but on sale for $119 right now. =]

*edit* I also really like its mute function. Just slide the mic upwards, and it auto mutes.

*dbl edit* It was the Sharktoon X-Tatic SX model that OXM reviewed. They gave it a 5/10 and said it didn't handle directional audio well at all, especially gunfire.

I have the Tritton AX Pro's, they are actually quite comfortable, not too heavy. You have to make sure that you can put the little controller thing on your lap though, because if that is hanging down then it does feel weird and heavier on one side.

I didn't really think they were too expensive when I bought them but that was with my jaded Australian eyes :P

I can't speak for the others, but I like my Trittons.

*edit* Actually, one annoying thing about the Pro's is that when you turn the Dolby Digital box off, the lights on the headset don't go off. To turn them off I have to uplug the headset power from the box. Something to think about, maybe.

I'm not sure which Sharktoon headset OXM just reviewed, but they pretty much hated the one they reviewed. However, they did review another set, and fell in love with them. They just may be my next pair of headsets.

Logitech F540 Wireless Headset

https://www.amazon.c...Q5JNJS1KFZGSMY

Usually $149, but on sale for $119 right now. =]

*edit* I also really like its mute function. Just slide the mic upwards, and it auto mutes.

*dbl edit* It was the Sharktoon X-Tatic SX model that OXM reviewed. They gave it a 5/10 and said it didn't handle directional audio well at all, especially gunfire.

Gunfire????! LOL Fail. I guess I would pass on those. I kinda want surround sound. I think.

whoop sorry lol - this thing

b0017iufaeaxprocontroll.jpg

It controls the volume for each of the sets of speakers - front, rear, center and sub - so you can adjust them separately and has the controls for the mic on it.

It's on the wire that comes out of the headset.

While I'm not sure the Logitech has built in Surround, the review says "While the F540 doesn't pack in multiple speakers in each cup (like Astro A40's), it dresses up its stereo output so well that non-bionnic ears won't be able to tell the difference. The mixing is masterful: there's enough fidelity to make you feel the difference between your fender and your headlights cracking in Burnout Paradise."

It also says the wireless signal strength is above par (50 feet and two walls away).

*edit* This is also in the features on the Logitech site - "Laser-tuned drivers. We analyze each acoustic element—magnet, coil and diaphragm—to optimize the drivers and pinpoint unwanted distortion, so you hear only rich, clear audio."

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7362

Ah. I wonder if there is an updated version? I'll check that out. I'd probably velcro that to my captains chair or something. I like what I'm hearing about these Trittons and the Logitechs. Hmmmmm

While I'm not sure the Logitech has built in Surround, the review says "While the F540 doesn't pack in multiple speakers in each cup (like Astro A40's), it dresses up its stereo output so well that non-bionnic ears won't be able to tell the difference. The mixing is masterful: there's enough fidelity to make you feel the difference between your fender and your headlights cracking in Burnout Paradise."

It also says the wireless signal strength is above par (50 feet and two walls away).

*edit* This is also in the features on the Logitech site - "Laser-tuned drivers. We analyze each acoustic element—magnet, coil and diaphragm—to optimize the drivers and pinpoint unwanted distortion, so you hear only rich, clear audio."

http://www.logitech....ts/devices/7362

Oh man this and the reviews have me sold I think.

Tritton sold to MadCatz, which is wholly known for crap peripherals.

Also, it took them a year to email me a replacement mic for my headset, and it wasn't even in bubble wrap of anything. Just an envelope and zip lock baggy. Very poor customer service.

Now Im scared :ashamed:

Here's what I had just asked Kevin on JTV (he's casting).

12:24 Mod peeknuckle: Kev. Which trittons do you have, and what was the deal with you and Dat's cracking?

12:25 Mod audaciouskevin: Um, AxPro I think

» And mine isn't too bad, I've got it taped lol

12:25 Mod peeknuckle: Okay, thanks

12:25 Mod audaciouskevin: The left earpiece is just loose

» not Ax PC Pro, mind you.

» Was loose, until I adjusted it to shortest setting on that side, and taped it there. lol

So, Title, just keep them in peak working order. Like TC said, don't rage... also, don't dress up the crocs and kangaroos with them. =]

I would go with the Trittons as well, I have had the AX360s and now the 720s. My 360s lasted almost 3 years and now going on 6 months or so with the 720s. I do remember when getting the 360s I thought man these are a bit heavy but after 6 straight hour gaming session I didnt think that anymore. You adjust to them and it isnt an issue.

I don't understand making a great product then f'ing it up with cheap plastic pivot points or what-not.

This. That's actually the part that broke. Not really the pivot itself, but the thin plastic around it, so that the left earpiece is very loose and wobbly. So I shortened that side of the headset down to it's lowest setting so it rests right against the plastic part that goes on top of your head, and taped them together. lol

I would still recommend the Ax Pros if you find a good price on them. The directional audio is exquisite, and they work with Xbox 360, PS3, and PC.

Here is a picture that might help you see what I'm talking about:

hotlinking.gif

The thinner part of the headset on one side, I adjusted down to where it touches the top and taped those together. Also the Ax Pros take one power outlet, with a wire that branches out to power the decoder box and headset (don't need the box on the PC though with analog inputs, just for PS3/360 with optical).

EDIT: ZOMG that image needs to be defringed.

EDIT2: Oh and another thing. I don't know if they all do it, but there is a weird glitch with the decoder box when using optical audio. Sometimes the audio is loud and distorted when you use optical, usually when it takes a new audio source (you start a game). To fix it, turn the decoder box off then on again when you start a game, then it's fine the rest of the time unless something is unplugged. It's perfectly fine on PC since I don't need the stupid little decoder box for it. The glitch is kinda bad on playing 2 channel audio videos on optical, Netflix in particular. For PC and playing console games they're great, though.

Archived