NVIDIA Shield

Dateranoth

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted at all.  This device is available for preorder now.

NVIDIA Shield

SHIELD runs pure Android with the latest version of the Android Jelly Bean OS. It’s also powered by the NVIDIA Tegra 4 mobile processor, clocked up to 1.9Ghz, and paired with 2 GB of RAM and 16 GB of onboard storage (expandable to 64 GB more with a microSD card slot). The 5-inch 720p HD retinal touchscreen serves up high-resolution eye candy, while the integrated stereo bass reflex speakers pump out loud audio. And a robust battery means you’ll enjoy a whole lot more gaming, videos, music, and web browsing.

I wasn't that interested in it until I read about the PC game streaming.  NVIDIA GPU owners will be able to stream a number of games (beta and limited on release) from their PC to the handheld. Or, since it can connect to your TV via HDMI, you can stream to any TV in your house through it.  I thought that was a pretty awesome feature.

If I did preorder one it would be for my wife. She likes to play with a controller on the TV. I have a decent computer hooked to the projector, but I would love to be able to use my rig to play.

Though, if this handheld can stream, I dot know what is stopping them from releasing software to do it with any PC that meets the requirements.

I ended up cancelling my pre-order after reading this article. I'll wait till it's been out for a few months before I get one.

If you're dreaming of all the PC games you'll be playing on the Shield, though, you might be disappointed to hear that there are still some kinks to be worked out, and Nvidia will be labeling the feature "beta" to manage expectations for at least a couple of months. Borderlands 2 in particular worked great in our brief test, but neither game's animations felt quite as fluid as on PC, and several times Nvidia had difficulty getting the Shield and PC to stay connected. The setup also requires an approved Wi-Fi router (dual-band MIMO) to function well.

PC streaming isn't the only feature that's in question, just so you know. Between CES and today, the Shield's on-board storage shrunk from 32GB to 16GB, and the 33 watt-hour battery made way for a slightly smaller 28.8Wh unit, even though the Shield still feels rather hefty for its size at over 1.2 pounds.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/5/14/4329008/nvidia-shield-price-specs-release-date-preorders-begin-hands-on-preview

Archived