What are you listening to?

PeeKnuckle

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got back from seeing A Perfect Circle play. To begin, I have lost a bit of respect for Maynard James Keenan. The man is a handful to please! He had so many demands for the show! None of us could show our faces while they soundchecked (we had to stay in the office and do our pre-show routine right before the show started) for fear that they would cancel the show. I suppose my main gripe with this is that Maynard has always spoken against the system (politicians, corporations, etc.) and how these entities are selfish and not interested in the average human being. Honestly, he lives in his own world on tour and is essentially the antithesis of what he seems to proclaim. In addition, he claims to dislike fame and attention, but his actions seem to perpetuate the mysticism and interest.

Apart from that complaint, they played an ace show. I think I have a man crush on James Iha, formerly of Smashing Pumpkins, now. This was my favorite song they performed (here's the Lollapalooza vid from earlier this weekend).

Some more notes on the show: this was the show that had the highest amount of security gaurds for sure. Slayer should have had more security than this show. CB and I were farely close to the stage (front and center about 10 yards back from the stage). As always, a mosh pit started immediately behind us, but for this show security took out the ******** moshing (there was a strict no moshing policy this show, which is always our policy but for liability not necessarily proactive precaution). The ******** moshing were blatantly being ***** too (not hitting people in the pitt but purposely hitting people on the outside and starting ****). CB and I agree that it is definitely the most atmospheric show we've been to. All of the songs seemed to flow well. There were no flashy lights or anything; just a camo mesh that was the backdrop with the APC symbol sewn on. All of the band members were excellent musicians, especially Billy Howerdel. All in all a great show!

I never liked James..if he portrayed himself more as like what we see in his early tool videos, maybe that would get me to be a fan, but up until this point he's just been here and there with most of his performances. Remember though, it's not easy being a celebrity, with thousands of eyes on you, you have to kind of keep yourself in check. He's obviously not too thrilled to be up on stage in that video.