Game Industry's Downfall

Guest ClintEastwood

Guest ClintEastwood

So, the Game Industry (As of right now) is just starting to get good again. With all the major game releases and new technology, 3D, Project Natal, PS Move...But how long will it last before it takes the everlasting plummet again?

Discuss.

So, the Game Industry (As of right now) is just starting to get good again. With all the major game releases and new technology, 3D, Project Natal, PS Move...But how long will it last before it takes the everlasting plummet again?

Discuss.

This.

What previous "plummet" are you referring to?

Before the NES was launched, the gaming industry pretty much died. Arcades dried up, Atari lost their billions and there was nothing new being developed. Many passed it off as a fad and not many wanted to invest money into it. Especially after Atari's big downfall.

I don't think there will be another downfall again ... these consoles (yes all of them) have so much more to offer than simply a gaming experience. Games may take a back seat for a few years while things like Netflix (other tv and movie channels), Facebook, and such, may start to drive the sales of consoles. I've heard of a few people buying 360's not to play games but simply to use the Netfilx Instant Que, so I think people are looking for more out of a console than the simple Atari 2600 or Intellivision provided back in the 80's.

I think things like peripherals will die off and it'll take a few more years for something else to replace them, but how many more plastic toys does one gamer really need?

Archived