$34 billion in federal grants is arming our local police. For what exactly?

PeeKnuckle

Like Fargo, thousands of other local police departments nationwide have been amassing stockpiles of military-style equipment in the name of homeland security, aided by more than $34 billion in federal grants since the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a Daily Beast investigation conducted by the Center for Investigative Reporting has found.

Interactive Map: States Spend Billions on Homeland Security.

The buying spree has transformed local police departments into small, army-like forces, and put intimidating equipment into the hands of civilian officers. And that is raising questions about whether the strategy has gone too far, creating a culture and capability that jeopardizes public safety and civil rights while creating an expensive false sense of security.

The new weaponry and battle gear, they insist, helps save lives in the face of such threats. “I don’t see us as militarizing police; I see us as keeping abreast with society,” former Los Angeles Police chief William Bratton says. “And we are a gun-crazy society.”

Read on

http://news.yahoo.co...-094500010.html

My local police department just got outfitted with all new squad cars that look like they're straight out of RoboCop. For some reason, they also got an suv (Ford Interception) that they didn't have before. Keep in mind, I live in a low crime rate suburban town.

Kinda confused me why/how they were able to purchase these new tech-decked out cars when something like the school budget is being highly scrutinized.

Archived