3Ds. Anyone Picking One Up?

ThermoNukePanda

No .. not now .. not ever. Nintendo has successfully lost me as a consumer because of the crap-i-tude of the Wii and Wii games. Yes I know they are different consoles but I will never buy anything Nintendo puts out again. Plus I never really cared for the DS. I prefer my PSP and iPad, and physical books/comics. . . however, that being said I am interested in what you guys think about it.

No .. not now .. not ever. Nintendo has successfully lost me as a consumer because of the crap-i-tude of the Wii and Wii games. Yes I know they are different consoles but I will never buy anything Nintendo puts out again. Plus I never really cared for the DS. I prefer my PSP and iPad, and physical books/comics. . . however, that being said I am interested in what you guys think about it.

I'm with you Kev, after the GBA and the Gamecube, Nintendo lost my business. Gamecube had it's fare share of kid oriented games and still managed to have great 3rd party support with games you couldn't find on the other consoles, but the Wii has flooded the market with horrible 3rd party games based around a gimmicky controller. Same with the GBA, it had tons of system sellers on that little handheld for all kinds of players, were as the DS has only a few great 1st party games and that's about it. Nintendo did a great job of alienating very loyal customers with the Wii and DS, gain alot of notoriety with casual gamers and push their original fanbase over to Sony and Microsoft.

Ok.

I BOUGHT ONE!!!!

I couldn't resist the trade-in credit. Went to Gamestop and they messed up anyways and gave me the $100 credit (which is only for DSXL's) even though I only have a DSi. Also they had a promotional thing for $30 trade in systems so I got $130 off the system. I couldn't say no!

I don't have any DSiWare or Nintendo points or whatever and never use the internet browser or anything so the lack of that at launch didn't mean anything to me. That being said though....

The 3D IS AMAZING! I honestly can't believe it. It's really cool. I don't keep it on "Max" setting because after about 45 minutes on Max my eyes feel a little strained, but playing on a lower setting doesn't bother me in the slightest.

The thing takes pretty awesome 3D pictures. I was messing around with it last night and took some 3D pictures of my pets. Very fun to mess around with.

It's fully backwards compatible too with DS games. Don't believe the hype about the "downscaling" or whatever. The games look perfectly fine to me. The game scales to full screen on the top and bottom and it looks great on the awesome display! No need to do the "Start+Select Trick" to window the games at original resolution.

The Augmented Reality is the complete bitchtits! It's wicked fun to look at and mess around with and the games are fun little casual things to play. I hope they come out with some more!

The speakers are great. Mimics surround sound very well to be honest. Speakers are MUCH improved over previous models.

I only picked up the Tom Clancy Ghost Recon game (which yes, is a bit like X-Com like people are comparing it to). It's awesome so far.

I'll keep you all updated, but if you have questions let me know!

:) I love it!

P.S. There are a lot of awesome DS games too if you look around. I can name at least 15-20 off the top of my head, and most of them aren't 1st party games.

I have high hopes for the future of the 3DS. And yes, I'll be getting an NGP this December too. :)

I dunno if I'll get one yet, but I'm sure I will get one eventually. With the lack of games available it may not be worth a purchase yet.

Aren't some you guys being a bit harsh on the wii? For every few bad 3rd party game it has, it has some really amazing first party games, like Metroid Prime 3, Other M, Zelda, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Brawl, Wario Land, Epic Yarn, Wii Sports Resort (not as bad as it sounds), Super Paper Mario, Super Mario All-Stars. It has a few great 3rd party titles too, like Sonic Colours, Okami, Little King's Story, Excitebots, No More Heroes 1+2, MadWorld, A Boy and his Blob, Monster Hunter Tri, Goldeneye 007, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and so on. Add that with the Virtual Console and perfect GameCube emulation, and imo it's a really great console. I really don't get all the criticism of it. Just ignore the licensed crap and Wii series casual stuff (except for Resort, that's actually pretty good imo) and there's some good stuff there, I think. Skyward Sword looks awesome too.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic like that, just felt I had to defend it. You can tell I'm a bit of a fanboy I guess =P. As for the 3DS, it looks like it has a huge amount of potential, although I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the 3D. I'm gonna hold out for the better games though, like OoT and SF64 3D, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, etc. Really, all I'd be interested in at the moment is Rayman 3D and Pilotwings, but at the end of the day, Rayman is like, a 10-15 year old game, just in 3D, and Pilotwings just looks really short. Still, I might pick it up, just to give it a whirl, but I dunno.

To be honest, the only game I picked up was the Tom Clancy Ghost Recon game which is pretty kickass. It's like a combination of X-Com/Jagged Alliance sort of game. Been enjoying the heck out of it. :) I've heard PilotWings kind of sucks TBH and is super short. I can't wait for Zelda/Resident Evil/Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater!!!!!

I've never been a big fan of the Wii. I have one, I've used it less than 10 times probably, and it sits it's box all packed up like a brand new console. *shrugs* Just wasn't for me I guess. There are some cool games for it I suppose (I liked MadWorld a lot). You don't need to defend it either. To each their own. Lord knows I defended the Virtual Boy. LoL

Yeah, it probably only appeals to guys who are big on platformers and stuff... that's me pretty much lol. And yeah, I know I didn't need to, different tastes and such, but there are some good games for it... but only if you're a fan of Nintendo games in general pretty much I guess. But I still wanted to say it lol.

Anyway, how's that Augmented Reality thing? Have you tried that at all?

The Augmented Reality is the complete bitchtits! It's wicked fun to look at and mess around with and the games are fun little casual things to play. I hope they come out with some more!

See above quote. :) It's incredible and awesome to look at. I bring it to work now and show some of my customers when they come in and it blows their minds usually. LoL

I dunno if I'll get one yet, but I'm sure I will get one eventually. With the lack of games available it may not be worth a purchase yet.

Aren't some you guys being a bit harsh on the wii? For every few bad 3rd party game it has, it has some really amazing first party games, like Metroid Prime 3, Other M, Zelda, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, New Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Mario Kart Wii, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Jungle Beat, Brawl, Wario Land, Epic Yarn, Wii Sports Resort (not as bad as it sounds), Super Paper Mario, Super Mario All-Stars. It has a few great 3rd party titles too, like Sonic Colours, Okami, Little King's Story, Excitebots, No More Heroes 1+2, MadWorld, A Boy and his Blob, Monster Hunter Tri, Goldeneye 007, Tatsunoko vs Capcom, Zack and Wiki, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition and so on. Add that with the Virtual Console and perfect GameCube emulation, and imo it's a really great console. I really don't get all the criticism of it. Just ignore the licensed crap and Wii series casual stuff (except for Resort, that's actually pretty good imo) and there's some good stuff there, I think. Skyward Sword looks awesome too.

Anyway, sorry to derail the topic like that, just felt I had to defend it. You can tell I'm a bit of a fanboy I guess =P. As for the 3DS, it looks like it has a huge amount of potential, although I'm not sure how much I'll enjoy the 3D. I'm gonna hold out for the better games though, like OoT and SF64 3D, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, etc. Really, all I'd be interested in at the moment is Rayman 3D and Pilotwings, but at the end of the day, Rayman is like, a 10-15 year old game, just in 3D, and Pilotwings just looks really short. Still, I might pick it up, just to give it a whirl, but I dunno.

Are hardcore gamers really clamoring to play any of those titles anymore? Most all those games are great and I won't argue that, but they aren't revolutionary and nothing Nintendo hasn't done better on the N64 and Gamecube. Nintendo is very good at bringing in new customer, but has pushed it's devotees very far away with a system marketed toward the casual and young gamer. And because of that, they've lost alot of their mystique and "can do no wrong" outlook alot of the industry and general gaming community had for them years ago. The problem with Wii and DS isn't that they don't have any hardcore or great games, it's that comparative to the other two consoles, they don't have nearly enough.

• 3 months later...

Archived