X-Com UFO Defense - This is HORRIBLE news!!!!

ThermoNukePanda

I agree DUBL. They should either remake the original game, or update it for XBLA.

Turning the franchise into another generic action ******* shooter. I'm so sick of action shooters. They dumbed down Splinter Cell from stealth into a shooter, they raped Resident Evil from survival horror into a shooter. It's an endless cycle.

Ugh. Why doesn't someone just make a Halo Kart racing game. Master Chief can poop out grenades as he's driving his mini-warthog around the kart track.

Never played an x-com game so I am not for sure what you guys are talking about. sad.gif

That's a shame dude. XCOM was widely considered to be one of the best tactical strategy games of it's time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO:_Enemy_Unknown

It had base building, squad combat, researching, and exploration. It was awesome. I spent many sleepless nights in the mid 90's playing the hell out of that game.

X-COM: UFO Defense was named the #1 PC game of all time by IGN in 2000, 2007 and 2009;[6][7][14] and the #2 best video game since 1992 by Pelit in 2007

Damn right it was... man I miss that game. I think I have it on Steam. Maybe I'll load it up after I finish Torchlight.

I agree the first two revolutionized turn based strategy games. That's what they were meant for, that's what I played them for. I'm not about to pick up another shooter just cause it's called X-Com. Hell, everything after the first two games sucked balls. I don't see myself spending hours on a shooter like I did for the first two games.

100% Agreed with you Em!

I can't even tell you how many hours I painstakingly sunk into that original game. Setting up my bases, trying to find the optimal spots to chase down UFOs, trying to capture Aliens alive so I can research them (Damn it was tough running around with a squad equipped with Stun Rods!), etc.

It was an awesome game. It had so much content and was incredibly fun, all while immersing gamers into a super creepy atmosphere that kept you on your toes and not knowing what was going to happen next. Coming across a new type of Alien was also wicked tense cause you didn't know how they would react or attack you.

/me continues his trip down memory lane and laments the transition to FPS

I would like them to keep the same elements, update the graphics and just have you lokking down on the map when you do the turn by turn stuff, if they wanted to give you a 1st person view of what your team memebers see that would be cool but dont change the whole thing.

Archived