Project Morpheus - Playstation 4 to get it's own Virtual Reality headset!

ThermoNukePanda

2849895248_poster_hell_yes_800_answer_1_

Sweet baby Jesus.... this is some amazeballs news!!!!  I'm super stoked. 

Codenamed Project Morpheus, Sony has unveiled their custom VR headset specifically for the PS4.  Features include full 1080p display with 90 degree field of view, 1000hz display, full 360 degree movement and "supports forward prediction". 

At the unveiling, Sony showed off a video of some VR God of War.  Sony boss Shuhei Yoshida was quoted as saying "When I looked down, I saw my body was that of Kratos. That was an empowering experience."

EVE Valkyrie is reportedly playable on the current dev kit, as well as a bunch of other announced games. 

More info and impressions will be available later today when press gets to try out some of the stuff. 

YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

VR >>>>>> Kinect

*smug*

http://kotaku.com/sony-announces-virtual-reality-is-coming-to-the-playsta-1546773778

Also, I know that MS is reportedly working on some interesting stuff for the Xbone as well.  Last I remember though, it was more AR than VR and I think it was codenamed Forteleza or something.  Basically kind of like projecting images into your room and whatever using the Kinect I believe.   I just don't see their current Kinect they shipped with the console being able to do that though.

So. The question really is. Do we think VR will catch on, and if so, how long before the systems ship with VR goggles? Ten years is a usual console life cycle. That's quite a while from now. Interesting stuff for sure.

Of course price will be an issue.

Well, I absolutely think that VR will catch on.  I've been saying this to friends and family since back in the early 90's honestly.  I'm pretty sure it was solidified for me back when I was in Vegas as a kid.  My dad took me someplace, and for the life of me I can't remember the name of it as it escapes me, but there was this VR station there.  Granted, this was rudimentary at the time with 90's technology,  but the experience for me still stuck with me all this time.

Pretty much four people were set up with the goggles/headset systems and it was some sort of game where you're going around in a castle thingy trying to kill each other and escape these flying monster things.  The graphics weren't spectacular, but it didn't matter to me then (besides, graphics kind of blew back then anyways in comparison haha).

For real though, this IS the next step.  Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality are the future without a doubt.  I would say 10 years is being generous though, but within 20 absofuckinglutely.

For this Morpheus thing though, I would throw down 400-500 dollars without blinking an eye.  That's just me.

If it's pulled off right, VR would be amazing.  Of course, the current push of "VR" is just a headset so you only see the game and aren't distracted by the world around you.  With head tracking for the games that support it.  I like the idea, and would love to try out one of these or the Oculus, but the complete immersive experience is a long way off.

Archived