Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - Online Pass warning

vectordream

Hey All,

This game almost got me to purchase. ALMOST! AC 3 got me to impulse buy and I left rather disappointed. It was not the worst game at the time but for an AC game I had higher expectations especially since I enjoyed Ezio's story. The reviews for this game look awesome. 9's flying all over the place with suggestions that all your frustrations with AC3 have been addressed. I gotta say the lure of playing AC IV is strong.

What all these glowing reviews don't address is the way Ubisoft sets this up. Some of it is nothing new like day one DLC which just feels like it might of been cut from the game for that purpose, online micro transactions for multiplayer, and my favorite, an online pass! Lets not forget that if you buy it on PS3 you get an extra hour of content!?! I really hate this kind of thing even though I have both consoles!

This year's online pass is slightly different and goes a step further. There are some single player game features where you can manage your own fleet of ships as you play through the storyline. You can send them on missions to get money and spoils for your cause. Sounds fun right? This feature is gated by the Uplay Passport online pass!! So if your thinking about buying this used down the road and don't have the code because it was used already those features will be locked unless you cough up the extra cash for the pass.

I will be honest and say that I will play this game at some point but based on my past experiences I am going to wait for Black Friday or a price reduction.

You have been warned!

Source:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/10/29/online-pass-required-for-some-assassin-s-creed-iv-single_2d00_player-content.aspx

edit* - Just to clarify, I buy most if not all my games new. I rarely buy used unless it is something older or hard to find. Part of this is that I OCD about disk scratches but I also want to support the devs for a well made game or whatever but some of this DRM stuff and blocked off game content is going too far. I am learning to become more patient on certain games like this one and still buy it brand new when it goes on sale for cheaper.

No, I'll probably be waiting till right around Christmas time or shortly thereafter.  I mean I have the money to buy it at launch but I don't want to deal with the drama, launch issues and/or availability of the actual console itself.

But I am definitely buying one. 

No, I'll probably be waiting till right around Christmas time or shortly thereafter.  I mean I have the money to buy it at launch but I don't want to deal with the drama, launch issues and/or availability of the actual console itself.

But I am definitely buying one. 

Yeah the PS4 looks cool. I want one too. I mean I want a new PC, PS4 and every other cool gadget lol. I can't really justify the PS4 yet and I figure a year or so is not that far off. I think by then there will be more game choices, less bugs, availability and *crosses fingers* a new slim unit with better bundles/pricing. $399 ain't bad but until they force me by making games that don't work on PS3 anymore then I will think about upgrading. Most of the new games will be made for PS3 as well this next year.

Sucks that they are creeping the online pass stuff into single player. Though, GTA V is the same way on the Xbox. The online stock and simple friend stats comparing aren't available without Gold.

Can't blame you for not buying out of principal. It's the only way to be heard.

Sucks that they are creeping the online pass stuff into single player. Though, GTA V is the same way on the Xbox. The online stock and simple friend stats comparing aren't available without Gold.

Can't blame you for not buying out of principal. It's the only way to be heard.

R* really blew it with the online in so many ways. They over thought it big time.

I am artist myself and I am all for devs trying to get as much ROI as possible but these tactics are only hurting their perception from the eyes of legitimate paying customers. People like me who always buy brand new and sometimes even further invest in DLC that is worthwhile. You gotta sign up for this, sign up for that, It just feels like your getting penalized for buying the game when all I want to do is just play the damn game I just spent $60 on.

That's another reason i picked it up for the PS3.  All this double paying for online crap makes me a sad panda.

Archived