"The Ultimate" Burger

I went to friendlys tonight and looked at the menu and stared at it for a good minute in disgust. The meal that stood out to me was referred to as "The Ultimate". The mere description of this burger gave me a heart attack, "A Big Beef burger between two hot grilled cheese sandwiches, with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Tasting is believing." The first thing that came to my mind was KFC's double down. The difference between these two meals is that the double down only has about 500 calories while the ultimate has 1,160... My friend ordered it, I told him not to. He said it couldn't be that unhealthy then I showed him this article when i got home:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/07/01/health/main6637336.shtml

He said he'd never order it again after reading this.

My question is how can a big name like Friendly's get away with this? With fries this meal is 1500 total cals, 97 grams fat, 180 mg chlorestoral, and 2090 mg of sodium. Then you are likely to purchase ice cream and a soft drink.

bah i think people overreact to things like this. this isnt something that is meant for you to sit down eat and then go chow down on about 3 more of them in about an hour. they are also not meant to be eaten and then go sit on your *** for several hours. if you work your food off its nothing to worry about. i laugh at people who sit there and worry about calories. Honestly i dont care if its "unhealthy" for me, because im active enough to burn off most of what i eat.

to answer your question with my two cents though, they can get away with it because most people dont care. alot of folks (or atleast the ones i seem to know) understand to take things in moderation. so if you order a big meal eat what you can save the rest for later. nobody says that you arent aloud to take it home with you or that if you only eat half of it and throw the rest away your going to get in trouble.

anywho thats just my input

Yeah I get what you're saying. But honestly after seeing it, it wasn't big like it'd be easily to eat this in one sitting. And my guess is that most people won't work it off, more props to you if you can. It's looks are very deceiving, this one meal exceeds your daily recommended intake of fat along while composing more than half of your recommended calorie intake.

Well I ate the Double Down sandwich from KFC and I'm still alive .. honestly food like this is more of a marketing ploy than an actual menu item. Like I said in my KFC thread .. I was in there around 2 or 230 pm and they couldn't keep that sandwich on the shelf. EVERYONE wanted it .. or at least wanted to try it.

You can't get mad at a company (food or other) that puts out a product that people want to buy. First off .. this thing really is not that different from a cheese burger .. it just has two extra slices of bread. Secondly .. hell man .. you WENT to Friendly's .. what did you expect?? Third .. hey if some one wants to get fat and die eating things like this who are we to judge? I'm over weight and yes I go to the gym and walk a lot but exercise hurts and sleeping is fun and food taste good. .. hell it's 830am and I'm already on my second beer. The coffee isn't even brewed yet. .. Does that mean I'm gonna die sooner than someone else that lived the healthiest of all life styles .. sure does .. but at least I died happy and drunk!

I guess "getting away with it" isn't the right choice of worlds. I was trying to refer to what the article said, that in today's society we are extremely aware of the obesity rates in America, and a lot of companys are trying to work towards healthy alternatives. Yet, Friendlys isn't, instead they offer a product which counteracts this movement and really takes advantage of willing young consumers. And I feel that I do have a right to "get mad" at a company which offers such a product, hell look at what they did in NY city (banning trans fat). Just because a company offers a product people want doesn't mean they are juste, I guess my problem with it is that consumers aren't made aware of nutrional facts, so I don't think anyone would expect how unhealthy this burger is. Just look at the comparison between the Double Down and The Ultimate, I would expect the Double Down is more unhealthy but The Ultimate is by quite a bit.

Just my two cents.

2000 calories a day is for people who sit around and do nothing all day, i'm with Stealthy, i'm out a lot and if i had only 2000 calories in a day i would be shaking. While that is a lot of fat for one meal, the only real problem i have with this burger is it looks disgusting.

I guess "getting away with it" isn't the right choice of worlds. I was trying to refer to what the article said, that in today's society we are extremely aware of the obesity rates in America, and a lot of companys are trying to work towards healthy alternatives. Yet, Friendlys isn't, instead they offer a product which counteracts this movement and really takes advantage of willing young consumers. And I feel that I do have a right to "get mad" at a company which offers such a product, hell look at what they did in NY city (banning trans fat). Just because a company offers a product people want doesn't mean they are juste, I guess my problem with it is that consumers aren't made aware of nutrional facts, so I don't think anyone would expect how unhealthy this burger is. Just look at the comparison between the Double Down and The Ultimate, I would expect the Double Down is more unhealthy but The Ultimate is by quite a bit.

Just my two cents.

I still strongly disagree with you .. any one with an IQ high enough to put pants on correctly and walk outside fully understands that places like Friendly's, BK, McDonalds .. ect. ect. .. have a high calorie count for their food. Do you get mad at grocery stores for selling Potato Chips and Soda, or donuts and ice cream. No. You just simply move on and buy what you want and treat yourself a little. I see no difference in what you are saying than when the new media starts a story claiming Video Games are the cause of obesity in North America. There's an English Tea House resteraunt that my wife and I go to around 1 every 2 months. She always gets their Chicken Pot Pie, chicken & veggies in a heavy cream sauce (could even be double cream since it's English) baked in a puff pastry. Even though there is no calorie count on that meal I can assure you it's pretty damn high .. likely even higher than any meal at McDonalds. She eats half and brings the other home for diner or lunch tomorrow.

We live in an area where damn near 100% of the worlds history and information is available anytime we want it to be from the internet. If some one was concered with the calorie count of a food product at a restaurant they could easily find it, or something close to it. I spent a good part of my 20's working in the kitchen at my Dad's Truck Stop. It was a HUSKY and the Canadians here will recognize that but I don't think the restaurant/gas stations are franchised in the US. For about 6 or 8 months I decided to set out a way to fatten up the food I was cook as much as I could. And boy did I ever find ways to do .. I added cream instead of milk, I buttered both sides of toast, I cooked bacon in butter and then used that oil and grease to cook hash browns, .. I actively looked at Fat and Calorie counts on products and added to them. And you know what .. the truckers LOVED IT!!! .. Some even laughed and joked they were going to ask every resteraunt do the same thing. Two of our regulars died of heart attacks while I worked there. Was that my fault .. NO .. did I hide anything from them .. NO .. but if you eat 3 meals a day at truck stops and diners and then sit all day never getting any exercise .. guess what .. you're going to die.

It's no secret that I drink a lot .. I know the health risk. I know what it's doing to me and frankly I don't care. My life, my body, my right .. I don't drive drunk so YOUR life isn't at risk, so what right do you having getting mad about something that doesn't affect you?

I still stick with my "A business has the right to sell something people want to buy" .. and before it gets brought up .. no not the right to kill or murder any innocents .. but just because you disagree with something doesn't give you the right to take that pleasure away from somebody else. The only thing you CAN do is not go to Friendly's anymore, or even simpler not order that sandwich.

.. and I'm off for another Molson!!

Likewise I still disagree with you, maybe the reason I'm discontent with this product is my perspective on Friendlys. First, I wouldn't categories Friendly's in the same vain as Micky D's or BK. I wouldn't/never have considered it fast food by any means, so I wouldn't go in expecting a high cal count unless of course I went straight for the icecream. So this is probably why I am so surprised with the high cal count.

And you know what, you are somewhat right with saying, there is no difference between what I'm saying and what new media is saying about video games causing childhood obesity because I'm probably one of the few people on this site that believe that video games are A cause of childhood obesity and even violence. I'll probably be reprimanded for that belief, but all I'm saying is that like video games, unhealthy food such as this is A factor for obesity. I am all for personal responsibility, but at the same time you can't ignore what big companies do to sell their product then completely ignore the unhealthiness of them. It'd be great to say that there are more people like Stealthy and Inferno who burn it off but I'm guessing the majority of people who eat there don't.

And about your comment about the supermarkets, I get what you are saying but supermarkets don't glorify their unhealthy products. This is the description for this burger, "A Big Beef burger between two hot grilled cheese sandwiches, with lettuce, tomato and mayo. Tasting is believing." Yes supermarkets do have unhealthy products that they are selling but 1) The nurtion facts on them are stated 2) They don't advertise specific unhealthy products in order to sell them 3) like I said before their unhealthy products aren't described like they are on a pedestal.

And I'm not saying I'm goign to do anything about it 'cause like you said, I do have no right to take away the pleasure from others. If other people want to eat it go for it, I just want people to make sure they are informed about their purchase because I'll mention it again, my friend had no idea about how unhealthy this product was and he is no idiot. But alas, no worries ahaha I'll just stick with my kids menu grilled cheese :lol:

:foodndrink:

Archived