[Review] - A.R.E.S. Extinction Agenda

spawn622

Developed by: X10 Studios

Players: 1

Platforms: PC (Available through Gamer's Gate, Desura, Steam, Direct2Drive, and directly from X10)

Drawing from various classics such as Metroid and Mega Man X, A.R.E.S. Exinction Agenda is the first chapter in an episodic side-scrolling shooter. Set in the 21st Century, Earch is over polluted and we are facing extinction. A processing station is sent in to Earth orbit to help with this problem, but is overrun by "zytron" that kills the station's systems and turns all the machines hostile. ARES is a robot tasked with clearing out the station, rescuing the hostages, and stopping the machines.

Graphically the game is quite impressive. There is a consistent frame rate and everything has a very futuristic aesthetic. The character designs have an anime feel to them which really lends well to this type of game. ARES' look really great after his armor upgrade and in motion really does give a Mega Man X feel that I love. The bosses at the end of each level are really impressive and give a good sense of scale to the game.06.jpg

I would be remiss if I did not mention the music in the game. Our good friends at the newly re-branded HyperDuck SoundWorks do one hell of a job with the tunes in the game. When I interviewed the guys a few months back, we got to sample some of the tracks from the game and I have to say, the remainder of the music did not disappoint. I can not wait to see what these guys have up next for us and hope to nail them down for another interview soon. **Just a subtle hint there for the guys** I seriously urge everyone to go to the Duck's page and take a listen to their stuff, it's amazing.

15-1024x576.jpg

The controls are fairly well balanced. Keyboard and mouse controls are available, but in all honesty, a gamepad or Xbox 360 controller really is a must for this one. Heck, even the explanation of the controls shows an Xbox controller for reference. Each weapon has a good "feel" to it and allowing the player to use the right analog stick to fine tune their firing was a great decision. If I had to pick something to complain about in the game, I would say the jumps feel too heavy. There were a couple of very frustrating areas that took multiple tries to get through because of the jumping issues. I did eventually get used to this, but a little more tweaking in this would really have helped a good bit.

10-1024x576.jpg

Overall, this is a great side-scrolling shooter that fans of the Mega Man X series will love. Great music and suprisingly good graphics round out a pretty solid package. The few jumping issues really don't detract all that much from the experience and could easily be addressed in a later patch, if the developers so desire. I'd highly recommend this one to anyone that wants an old school gaming experience with new school graphical polish and some really bumping music. Go out and drop the $10 on this one now.

Links to buy:

Steam

Direct 2 Drive

X10 Studios42df1ffdb2809859a7584b6a1a14da88.jpg

Click here to view the article