"what Would Happen If You Stuck Your Hand Into The Large Hadron Collider?"

Well? What would happen? Who knows. It's pretty crazy though, to try to imagine putting a hand or body in front of a proton beam going at 99.9999991% the speed of light.

Well the researchers at the LHC were asked that question, and honestly they had no idea either. It's strange though. Have they THOUGHT about it? I mean who creates a device that can shoot things at nearly the speed of light and DOESN'T think about shooting an actual living object with it?

http://blogs.discove...the-lhc-stream/

A bunch of the scientists have different answers and theories about what would happen. I like the one scientist who says that the amount of energy travelling in that beam would be about equivalent to a friggin' AIRCRAFT CARRIER, which is trucking along at 11 knots, which suddenly deposits the full force of it's energy into the palm of your hand.

"I don't think you'll survive very much"

LoL Really? :)

Anyways, as a side note, there is an actual recorded case of a Russian researcher back in the 1970's who accidentally got beamed... THROUGH HIS HEAD.

Let's meet Anatoli Bugorski.

originalgt.jpg

Anatoli was working on a particle accelerator back in 1978. He's working. Doing his thing. Fixing some sciencey stuff. Some sort of malfunction happened while his HEAD was in the path of the proton beams and BLAMMO!

He said he didn't feel any pain, but saw something "brighter than a thousand suns". The beam that rattled around inside his head was recorded around 2,000 Grays upon entry, and 3,000 grays upon exiting Anatoli's domepiece. It's generally thought that it only takes less than 10 Grays to kill a person.

(A "Gray" is a unit of measure to determine the amount of radiation absorbed by living tissue. Here's the Wiki for more info.)

So yeah, Anatoli was taken to the hospital for observation, the whole left side of his face swelled to an unrecognizable condition. The Ruskies wanted to watch him and observe him to see what happened while they were waiting for him to obviously die.

HE DIDN'T DIE. Crazy stuff! Check out Anatoli's Wiki.

Anyways, back on track. What would happen if you stuck your hand into the LHC? I think I'd donate my body to science and let them blast with with particle beams going the speed of light. LoL

Archived