[Review] - Super Meat Boy

spawn622
  • Developed by: Team Meat

Players: 1

Platforms: XBLA, (Windows, Mac, and Wiiware coming in November)

Rated T (Teen) by the ESRB

Team Meat

You are Meat Boy. You love Bandage Girl and she loves you. Nobody likes Dr. Fetus and that pisses him off. He steals Bandage Girl and it is your job to save her. This is a simple premise that leads to one of the most perfect platform games in, not just recent, but in all of gaming history. At an introductory price of $10, this is the best game money can buy. This reviewer hasn’t played a game in recent memory that has hit every mark that I had set for it in my mind. And in most cases it well exceeded my expectations.

Meat-Boy-2-1024x576.jpg

The controls are simple and perfect. You jump with the “A” button and you sprint with the “X” or “RT” button. It’s really that simple and they work flawlessly. You can never use them as an excuse for a bad run through a level. If you die, it is your own fault.

The music and sound effects are in a word, AMAZING. dBsoundworks does an awesome job yet again. You may not know these guys, but I can almost guarantee that you’ve heard their work previously. Their growth from games like Canabalt, Gravity Hook, and Steambirds is astounding and their passion for the indie games scene really shines in Super Meat Boy. I think we’ll be hearing more from these guys in the future for sure.

Meat-Boy-3-1024x576.jpg

Level designs are flawless. Some may seem near impossible as you progress through the game, but that is part of the games overall charm. Once you die for the 30 or 40th time on a level you will want to give up, but once you finally make your way through to your beloved Bandage Girl, the sense of accomplishment is astounding. After completing each level, a replay of all your tries plays all at once. Showing each death and following through to your final accomplished run. It’s a small touch that is so brilliant you will smile each time you see it. There are over 300 levels in the game consisting of the main game levels, dark versions of each one that up the difficulty, warp zone levels, and free DLC from “Teh Internets”. All in all there are 300+ levels.

As you progress, new game mechanics open up, as well as, new characters from other great indie games. Tim from Braid, Gish, characters from Castle Crashers, Alien Hominid, N+ and more all make appearances in the game. Each character has their own special abilities in addition to being able to perform all of Meat Boy’s acrobatic moves.

Meat-Boy-1-1024x576.jpg

If I had to make any criticism at all about the game, it’s the fact that you can’t share your level replays. Honestly, this isn’t a huge knock but would have been a very welcome feature so you can show off your skills without having to use any kind of capture card setup to do so. This little caveat doesn’t make a bit of difference in this being a perfect game.

All in all, this game is pure perfection. It is great to see all the press it’s getting and it has become one of the best Xbox Live Arcade games of all time. The difficulty may turn some gamers off and Team Meat says they won’t pay for a new TV if you get frustrated and throw you controller through the screen. They will however Retweet pictures if you send them. I can easily say this is the best and most fun XBLA title I have purchased, ever. You owe it to yourself to spend the introductory $10 (Going up to $15 sometime in November) and pick this game up. What are you waiting for? Bandage Girl needs saving. GET TO IT!!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.