[Review] - Pinball FX 2

spawn622
  • Developer: Zen Studios

Publisher: Microsoft Game Studios

Distributor: Microsoft Game Studios

Platform: Xbox 360 (XBLA)

Mode: Single player, Multiplayer

I’m going to be honest I've never been a huge fan of pinball. I have never been good at it, no matter how hard I try. However, there was something about Pinball FX 2 that caught my eye. Be it the colorful tables, the licensed characters, or hope that this could be the pinball game that finally breaks me out of my funk for pinball. Did it succeed? Read on and let's find out.

PiNballfx2.jpg

Pinball FX 2 really isn't a game unto itself. It is a free base of the game that allows you to try each table before you buy them. This sounds weird, but in this case it really does work. If you test out a table and decide you like it, go buy it. Also, if you have the first Pinball FX your tables import over in to the new shell and they get a graphical and physics upgrades.

Tweaks are found throughout the multiplayer and the competitiveness of the leader boards really does make the game shine. While playing, you get updates on who is the best among your friends on each table. If you're getting close to beating a friends score, you get a countdown as to how many more points you need to beat them. Along with the ever growing amount of achievements (Which, if you're like me, you compare these just like a scoreboard.) there are a couple of other types of scores to try and outdo your buddies. Superscore is your cumulative score across all the tables. Pinball Wizard is a combination of your Superscore along with your friends' Superscores. There's also hot seat multiplayer and split-screen multiplayer. This game is literally jam packed with features.

Spiderman.jpg

Game play in Pinball FX 2 is flawless. Each table has its own feel and the licensed tables are very well done. Tables ranging from Street Fighter II, Rocky and Bullwinkle, and Marvel superheroes all capture the aesthetic of the characters. The Marvel tables include a table each for Spider-Man, Wolverine, Iron Man, and Blade (With an all new Fantastic Four table coming soon). All of which are extremely fun and really are what sold me on the game. The original tables are really fun as well. Ranging from a Roman theme to super secret spies and a ton more, they are all varied enough that if you get tired of one, it is easy to exit out and go to a different table and start the fun all over again. With new tables releasing frequently, they all do very well to keep you coming back for more. The recently released Mars table is one of the best yet. Plenty of "missions" to complete and new achievements to try and get, the Mars table feels like none of the others offered to date.

Pinball-FX-2-XBLA.jpg

As I'm sure you can tell from everything you've read, I really enjoyed Pinball FX 2. As a gamer who has never really enjoyed pinball, this game does a great job of selling you and making you feel like you're really standing at a machine pumping quarters in to get a higher score than your friends. Graphics are amazing for each table and do well to keep things interesting. Going in I was hesitant to get in to the game, but once I started playing, I had numerous late nights trying to beat my friends’ scores. Good job Pinball FX 2 and Zen Studios for turning this non-pinball fan in to a pinball junkie.

Head over to the Xbox Live Marketplace and try out Pinball FX 2.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.