Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor

Dateranoth

Just thought I'd put out a quick thought about this game.  To sum it up, I believe it will get me back into gaming, if only an hour or so at a time. 

To be blunt, it borrows heavily from oh, at least three top tier games if not four, but it does a good job of making it work.  However, the nemesis system is a pretty cool twist. I've barely scratched the surface of the game with just about two hours, but I'm enjoying it.  I think the deciding factor will be if it becomes repetitive or not.  It's got a bunch of collectible crap in it, but at least it gives pretty immediate player reward with a bit of lore attached thus far.

Anyway, anyone else picked it up and liking it?  I'll be going through it painfully slow with my current shift this month and all the crap overtime, but I'd like to know what others think.

I have to say, there is a lot of repetitive content, but I keep finding myself killing chiefs and warlords with joy.  The mechanics are just solid enough to make everything enjoyable. I'm finally focusing on the main missions, but I spent probably 8 hours just doing side quests and killing orcs.  I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time, and I haven't even unlocked branding yet.

I got him for you Kira. It is too bad spawn. You would think the WB login would have a friend section so the could cross. Couldn't be that hard.

That was one of my first experiences with the game. Running into several captains at once then a low health sneaky captain came in near the end. Ended up being killed by some loser grunt. Love running into captains randomly. Just smack some Uruk and ends up being a Captain. I've learned to scout the strongholds now though before going in.

What was his name? Would be funny if I ran across him in my game. Our own personal Vendetta.

Building My Army :)

wdmoVjYl.jpg

I love this game. I just lost myself in branding everything and everyone.  I think I finished every mission in the first area. Still just distracted killing these guys over and over and building up my army.  Plus it looks and plays great!  I love the variety, like these guys (wrapped in spoiler because they are large images):

u0aD4hF.jpg

And this ugly sucker:

dGqVa75.jpg

I did that for the first four or five hours. I progressed the story far enough to unlock war chiefs and branding then went back to the first area and started doing everything. Including building my army. I think this will be the first game in a long long time that I'll not only 100% but continue to play after.

• 3 weeks later...

Finished this up the other night. 100% complete (Not 100% PS4 trophy complete, but I don't give a crap about trophies or cheevos)...Gotta say, this is my game of the year.  Branding every captain and war chief on both boards after finishing up story mode is so damn great.  I love it.  If you haven't played it, love wanton violence, and have even a passing interest in Lord of the Rings, this game is the one to play.

Archived