VERY unhappy with the drop rates with Destiny

ThermoNukePanda

So I've been playing pretty solid for over a week now, and I have to say the way drops are handled in Destiny absolutely is miserable. 

Once you hit level 20, you're pretty much capped in your level gaining unless you find items that contain "Light" (ie. like a chest piece may give you +9 Light as one of it's attributes).  Equipping stuff with more and more Light lets you gain higher "levels" so your weapons and such can damage higher level monsters, etc. 

Aaaaaannnyways.  It's all random pretty much, aside from grinding out missions to be able to buy them (for a ridiculous sum for the record and would take a loooong time to gear up).  And that leads me to the actual item drops.

Enemies can drop Engrams, either green, blue or purple (uncommon, rare and legendary respectively).  You need to go back to town to have these decrypted to find out what it is.  I don't mind this but the way it's handled is super lame. 

Blues have a very small chance to decode into a purple legendary (never happened to me), but Purples also have a chance to be decoded into something that is Blue!!!  Not only that, if it DOES happen to be purple it's going to be a random class that may or may not be the one you're playing.

To date, I've gotten a total of six purple engrams.  ALL OF THE WERE DECODED BLUE.  Every.  Single.  One.  That to me is fucking bullshit.  Not only is the drop rate super low for purples, even on dungeon instances, but every fucking one has been blue. 

So right now I'm pretty much stuck.  Running the same old shit, over and over and over, because I can't get any Legendaries to gear up and take on harder things.  I really dislike this.

Bungie should adjust how this is handled IMO.  I mean I'm totally cool with purples being super rare to drop.  I'm absolutely fine with it turning into something for a random class that I may not be running because I can just bank it and re-roll another character if I wanted to and use it with them.  But for pete's sake do NOT have such a high damn rate of them turning blue!  Hell, they shouldn't even HAVE a chance to turn blue.  Purple drops should be purple and that's that. 

Sorry for the rant.  It's just super frustrating.

PK, and that's not even correct, because he's holding a purple engram (legendary) drop.  That shit like NEVER DROPS. 

Not only that, but the the ONE purple item I have came from decrypting a blue one randomly.  *sighs*  It's super ridiculous.

I disagree... you shouldn't be able to max out your character less than two weeks after release. It shouldnt be east to do so, otherwise what are you playing the game for? An easy walkthrough one hit kill everything? What would even be the point? It should be a struggle so when you do get that rare and higher gear it'll be a huge "hell yeah" moment. Got my first legendary ingral which gave me a rare weapon... well that sucks, but once i get enough coins i can still get one from xur.

Depends on gameplay style. I don't own the game so I don't really know. If it's about loot then there should be loot. If it's about leveling there should be steady progression.

If the game is truly enjoyable enough to play parts over and over to get the drops then fine. However, if it feels like an endless grind their progression system is skewed.

Either way, I'm not a fan of either type. Don't get me wrong. I've fallen into games where I find myself doing the same shot over and over to get a certain drop. Usually it doesn't last long before I get bored.

I say take a note from Diablo 3 because if it is a loot based game ( again, I have no idea ) then D3 proved people want loot drops. The game at first was a crappy grind fest. Now they've finally made it possible to play and find ever better drops. With tiers that allow you to continue being challenged even with more frequent upgrades.

Depends on gameplay style. I don't own the game so I don't really know. If it's about loot then there should be loot. If it's about leveling there should be steady progression.

If the game is truly enjoyable enough to play parts over and over to get the drops then fine. However, if it feels like an endless grind their progression system is skewed.

Either way, I'm not a fan of either type. Don't get me wrong. I've fallen into games where I find myself doing the same shot over and over to get a certain drop. Usually it doesn't last long before I get bored.

I say take a note from Diablo 3 because if it is a loot based game ( again, I have no idea ) then D3 proved people want loot drops. The game at first was a crappy grind fest. Now they've finally made it possible to play and find ever better drops. With tiers that allow you to continue being challenged even with more frequent upgrades.

See the thing is, there is no "steady progression" once you hit 20 (which is kind of low).  And as for loot there is no real steady loot (or any rhyme or reason to it for that matter).  It's like the game can't decide what it wants honestly to be.

However, I did spend some time in the Crucible this weekend (pvp) and finally got to Rank 2 so I decked myself out in purple gloves and boots (already had a chest).  That made me a bit happier, still wasn't 26 for the raid but whatevs. 

Last night though I was just running some patrols to get some materials to upgrade, went back to the cryptarch to get rid of my shitty blues and noticed he was pretty close to leveling up also so I just bought a bunch of junk from him.  Got 2 crappy blues and a purple armor engram in the mail.  Blah, I already have armor.

Went back to decode em all and blammo... somehow rolled an Exotic chestpiece AND it's for my class.  *happy dance*  My guy looks pretty awesome now tbh, plus I can attempt to try to get into the raid now.  I'll be using http://destinylfg.net to find a group to roll with since there is no matchmaking.

Screen-Shot-2014-06-05-at-2.07.26-PM.png

Awesome happy for ya bro. Looks awemazing!

Yeah, and I picked up the exotic bounty last night to try to get Bad JuJu (exotic pulse rifle).  Have to complete the weekly heroic strike, then beat 25 strikes, and then I have to get like 10,000 points in crucible matches (hunters and titans give 25 pts, warlock kills give 75 pts).  Going to be a grind!

The game has so many problems. I have the game and hit 22 on my hunter. I don't play as much as some of you but I think the biggest problem with this game for me is what you actually get for $60. This game has it's fun moments but it is bare bones all the way around. Story, game size, progression, loot etc. I finished the entire story in less than 9hrs not pushing myself very hard. If they wanted this to be so grindy they should have twice the content we have now for the initial purchase. Can we get some new bounties at least? What also sucks is we already played half the game in the beta. It feels like they probably had more content in the game initially but ripped it all out to resell back to us over 10 years haha.

Having a 10 year plan with free updates and paid DLC later is no excuse for the lack of content and bare bones story we get now. I would be more inclined to buy all the DLC to support the future of the game if they had at least given your money's worth on the initial outing. They suckered us in with good marketing and Bungie's legacy from the Halo series. It won't happen again. The only thing this game has going for it currently is the solid shooting mechanics they are known for.

Lastly, I can't believe they thought it was a good idea for higher tier engrams to have the possibility to decode down into lesser items. On their site patch notes they say the bit of randomness made it more exciting. Did they learn nothing from past game's failures? The light system is fail as well. It did not work in Lord of the Rings Online.

Angry Joe's review was spot on:

http://youtu.be/gzopWRXK_r4?list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ

Turned in a bunch of blue engrams, almost all rare i didnt need. It leveled the cryptarch though and got a legendary crypt in the mail which gave me gjallarhorn, an exotic rocket launcher with a 260 base but upgrades to homing and multiwarhead rockets. Talk about psyched

Yeah, Xur was selling that last weeked for Strange Coins.  Awesome for you dude.  I still have no exotic weapons.  Working on the exotic bounty right now though for Bad Juju

Archived