Gamercide Fantasy Foosball

Tuna

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope this is sarcasm...

Nope, just don't interpret my "whoopings" for beatings. That's not what I intended to say.  My opinion is that parents should discipline their kids that misbehave. Sometimes words don't suffice and the next step is needed but to a certain extent. Parents need to have self control and know when enough is enough. Granted I've never had to resort to that because my son understands when he's done wrong and a simple talk works in our situation. But I'm sure we've all seen that one kid that disrespects their mother or father at the market, mall, park, etc. talks back, yells back, kicks and screams until they get their way. That scenario does not fly in book.  

Nope, just don't interpret my "whoopings" for beatings. That's not what I intended to say.  My opinion is that parents should discipline their kids that misbehave. Sometimes words don't suffice and the next step is needed but to a certain extent. Parents need to have self control and know when enough is enough. Granted I've never had to resort to that because my son understands when he's done wrong and a simple talk works in our situation. But I'm sure we've all seen that one kid that disrespects their mother or father at the market, mall, park, etc. talks back, yells back, kicks and screams until they get their way. That scenario does not fly in book.  

I'm all for disciplining bad kids, but the details for the Peterson are disturbing to say the least. The kid was beaten 40+ times and Peterson refused to stop because the kid would not cry. That immediately tells me that the kid has been beaten before. After hitting the child 40 times, with a switch, with the kids mouth STUFFED with leaves the child was left with bruises and cuts on both of his legs and his scrotum was ripped open. That's not discipline, that's torture and abuse. Disciplining a 4 year old child should be a few smacks on the ass leaving a red mark or maybe a light bruise. A kid shouldn't be bloodied and with lacerations on both legs and his scrotum. 

Again, I'm all for discipline and maybe a light spanking, but this was simply abuse.

Where did you get all those details cb? All i've heard is he disceplined him with a "tree branch" and he had some scrapes and bruises, which of course you would if you were spanked with a switch. Growing up when and where i did i got my fair share of spankings and such... i would like to know the details because this is just so out of character with his personality. It would be borderline sadistic, completely different from what i heard which was a parent not really knowing the proper (societal) way to discipline a child.

Lnik to a detailed article in Forbes: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcneal/2014/09/16/adrian-petersons-indefensible-abuse-of-a-4-year-old-likely-violates-texas-law/

Important details listed:

• Peterson grabbed a tree branch (which he referred to as a “switch”), removed the leaves and struck the child repeatedly with the stick.
  • The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and scrotum, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands.
  • Peterson sent a text message to the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”
  • Peterson said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh”
  • Peterson said via text message “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”
  • Peterson said via text message “Never do I go overboard! But all my kids will know, hey daddy has the biggie heart but don’t play no games when it comes to acting right.”
  • The child said “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.”
  • The child expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities.
  • The child said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.”
  • The child said that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down.
  • The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”
  • Peterson, admitted to the police that he had “whooped” his son on the backside with a switch as a form of punishment.
  • Peterson also admitted to the police that he administered two different “whoopings” to his son.

And the photos released so far, not including injuries that also happened to the childs ankles, back and possibly other areas. Also, Peterson was previously reported to the cops for abusing another 4 year old son, having beaten him in a car and has a permanent scar on his head due to the beating.

adrian-peterson-indicted-child-abuse-the

Also, apparently Peterson even admitted to having a room in his house solely for the purpose of disciplining his kids he called the "whooping" room. 

I guess my point is that if your child came home from school looking like this, whether it was done by a teacher or a student beat them up, that would be assault; BUT if this is done by a "loving parent" who was simply "teaching" their child then it's completely all right. That's ridiculous.

Im not saying i condone corporal punishment in this day and age, but judging from the photos i think its getting blown out of proportion. Ive seen real abuse where the parent tries and relishes injuring their child. He needs counciling about discipline, but the media seems to be out for his head...

Im not saying i condone corporal punishment in this day and age, but judging from the photos i think its getting blown out of proportion. Ive seen real abuse where the parent tries and relishes injuring their child. He needs counciling about discipline, but the media seems to be out for his head...

Agreed, but what do the facts that the kid has stated say about Peterson? The kid is completely intimdated and afraid of his father. This kid isn't learning how to behave correctly when he's beaten, he's learning to fear his Dad and that defeats the purpose of discipline. A child should be disciplined to understand their mistakes and to not repeat them, not to be programmed to not upset daddy because he'll whip out his belt and beat the living daylights out of you. 

A kid being afraid of a parent that is divorced can also be greatly influenced by the parent that child lives with. I know, because I was told all kinds of horror stories about my own father when I was little. When my sister and I would return home after a trip with my father, we were grilled on what we did, and my mother would get upset over anything. A good memory of my mother going overboard to make my father look bad - My father took my sister and I to SF's Chinatown. While we were there, my father picked up some dehydrated papaya that were on skewers. He offered one to my sister and I and said it was dehydrated squid. We thought it looked gross, but I thought it was really good. My sister first refused to eat it because it was 'squid', but once she did, she liked it too. We even ended up getting one more apiece.

Fast forward to the grilling once we got home by my mother and we told her about the "dehydrated squid", and she flips the fuck out. "Your sister is allergic to seafood! He could have killed her!". My sister has never been allergic to seafood, and even managed the seafood section of Safeway where we used to live.

My sister was often used as my mother's spy to dig up dirt about my father. She would try to grill me and make me say bad things about him, but even as a small child who loved his mother, I never would make up things about my dad to make my mother happy. It just seemed a wrong thing to do to someone who clearly loved me.

Also, my dad punched a frying pan into my face several times when I held it up to shield myself from the whooping I deserved. I was 15, in a gang, and thought I was the shit. He remedied that in 20 seconds flat. As brutal as it was, it grounded me back into reality and I never ever got in his face again. My homeroom teacher saw my face that morning and sent me to the office. Police were called and I never said one thing about my dad. Not because I was threatened by him and not because I didn't want him to be in trouble. I held my tongue because I was ashamed of acting like that to my dad, and because I did deserve it. I was a shitty teenager who only cared about himself and I treated my family like crap.

I know jack all about this Peterson guy, but I wouldn't put too much faith into what his ex may be saying, and maybe even what she might be having their child saying. Not saying she is, but it is a possibility. My ex had my son say things about me that were never true. I don't blame my son for it, either. He was 4-5 years old and that was how she would punish me for having a new girlfriend.

I haven't heard why he punished his son in the first place, I think having more info and context helps in judging this kind of issue, if its he talked back to his dad that seems harsh, if he did something that could be life threatening that might explain it. 

I mean at 6 years old I took off and walked miles across a busy Highway and a freeway over pass cause I wanted to go to a lake and see a fish, I was gone most of the day and luckily a mother of some kids who I stopped to play with didn't recognize me and gave me a ride home we pulled into our driveway as the police were there and starting a search. 

I was told to pick out the switch/branch I was going to get spanked with and remember it to this day and it left marks at the time, so in context that seems appropriate for what I did. 

As a parent I am going to withhold judgement until more information is available in this case.

Archived