Appraising rare comic books?

ThermoNukePanda

Anyone have any ideas on how to figure out comic values and/or what they're worth? 

Been going through a bunch of my dad's old comics that I helped him store and bag and put away when I was a little kid that we all completely forgot about and I ran across this gem

10175166_253333124852527_2054660653_n.jp

.... and that's just the tip of the iceberg.  You're looking at Avenger's issue #1, original from 1963 and in pretty fantastic condition despite the stupid camera phone picture (picture was taken in low light basement so I had to brighten it up a little).  No rips, no tears, all pages intact and unstained, cover in great shape and no stickers (the sticker on the front is on the plastic sleeve, not the comic).  It's bagged and sleeved but I'm thinking it should probably be professionally "graded" and "appraised". 

Just going through some of this stuff it looks like he has at least issues 1-8 of Avengers, a whole bunch of old and early run Fantastic Four, Thor, Spiderman, Batman and a ridiculous amount of other crap.  I'm feeling a little overwhelmed but from what I read that Avenger's #1 is probably worth a decent amount of money.  It's not "mint" condition, but I did a little reading and an article popped up that one went at auction that was like a 9.6 grade or something for close to $270k so this one has to be worth at LEAST a few thousand if not a lot more.

There are a couple of websites that list what people are asking for them.  I can't remember the sites as it's been a while since I last looked.  I know one had values people were looking to pay, as in you could contact them if you had it, and it also allowed you to put yours up for sale. Gave a good idea of what the going rate for them was.  Otherwise, best bet is to take it to get a few different appraisals. 

From the picture (More hi-res pic and without the bag, I could tell more), you appear to have some wear on the spine and with it being just bagged and boarded, I would venture to guess the pages have yellowed. It does look to be in pretty good shape. May get graded between a 4.5 and a 5.0. At that grade you're looking at $1200 to $1700 retail. The only way to realize that though, would be to put it up for auction. Most shops will low ball you so they can make a profit on reselling. I would wait until the new film is hitting next year and you may get a bit more, if you're looking to sell.

Snagged my 6.7 graded copy for just shy of $900 back in 2001. It's a great book to have in your collection for sure. Most people will be in aweigh they are fans of the films. The Marvel films really have helped values lately. My 4.0 Action Comics #1 and my 5.0 Amazing Fantasy #15 both had significant drops because of the lackluster films this year. Not that I'd ever part with them though. I'm roughly 200 Silver Age comics deep now and the wife yells all the time about them. lol

tl:dr Get it graded and sealed, sell it at auction.

Yeah I was looking into that CGC company or whatever?  I need to try to come up with a approx value though before submitting (I called them) and then that will determine on how much I have to spend on the grading.  Like if it's over 3000 I need to pay about 3% of the value supposedly. 

Ridiculous amount of silver age comics down there though.  He's got the first 14 issues of Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos lol.  Just a whole bunch of stuff.  It's kind of crazy going through it all.

And that's awesome that you have a 6.7 grade Spawn.  I was figuring his copy was somewhere around a 5ish anyways.  :D

Archived