The Book of Mormon

spawn622

I'll preface this entire thread by saying, if you are easily offended or religious (especially a Mormon) please steer clear of this thread...

Still with me? Alrighty, a buddy and I went last night to see the off Broadway version of The Book of Mormon last night. If you don't know, this is the Tony Award winning musical written by Trey Parker, Matt Stone, and Robert Lopez. It is a religious satire musical about 2 Mormon missionaries that are assigned to Uganda as their first mission. Go to the Wiki to read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mormon_(musical)

We were originally scheduled to go last week, but the Atlanta Snowpacolypse caused it to be rescheduled. This was literally one of the best shows I've seen in years. The theatre troupe doing the show did an awesome job capturing the feel of the original cast and to some extent exceeded what I'd previously heard on the soundtrack. If you get a chance and enjoy funny as hell musical theatre, I can highly recommend this show. I'll attach one of the tamer songs from the soundtrack. If you want a better song, do a search for 'Hasa Diga Ebowai'. It's an obvious Lion King riff and HILARIOUS!

I am LDS(Mormon) and while I probably wont be seeing this I have heard it is funny, really compared to what some of my ancestors did leaving behind everything and crossing the plains having someone make fun of your religion isnt that big a deal, I think more people just find things to be offended by these days cause it seems there is always something to be offended by. Sounds like you had a fun night, We have tickets for Wicked later this year and I am looking forward to that.

And if someone is going to make fun of you and they do it well? then hey have a good laugh!

That's the thing, while it is called Book of Mormon, they make fun of everyone. It really is more of a statement on believing whatever you want to believe and not being crapped all over for it. I mean, yes, they do wrap it up in a package of making fun of Mormons though.

You'll certainly dig Wicked. I had the pleasure of seeing that one on Broadway with the original cast. Indina Menzel was and is absolutely amazing. I've seen it since with a different troupe and it's still great great stuff. Next up is a local showing of Avenue Q. My best friend has a part in it. Pretty stoked. I'll be trying out for a couple of things later in the year myself

Archived