Steam in Home Streaming

Dateranoth

So, I just wanted to do a quick update. I managed to get the streaming setup between my main computer and my dinky Zbox running Linux.  I had a few hiccups, but did get Bioshock Infinite running at 1080p.  I have to say, I'm pretty damn impressed so far.  The quality was great, and the lag was only around 60ms ( I know this because the beta has an overlay with stats )

I want to give it a try with some more games, and also on my downstairs computer. It's a beefier CPU, but it only has Intel's built in HD 4000 graphics.  So, I'm curious how well it works there.  I don't really see myself using it much, but it will be perfect for my wife.  Only downside, is I could see it requiring a pretty good computer to host the games if you want to play them remotely at 1080p.  Bioshock was running pretty well at 60fps, but I also get around 120fps when I'm not streaming.

I'm loving it. At first I tried running through WIFI, but couldn't get a strong enough connection to run at 1080p without some lag. My first though was to wire every room in the house with ethernet cables. Not exactly a fun chore, but definitely doable. Then I came across these TP-Link Powerline Adapters. I was skeptical at first, but decided to try them anyways. Holy crap I'm impressed. You just plug them into your outlets and voila! Instant internet. Currently getting 30 down and 20 up in every room. Pretty much lag free streaming everywhere.

My first order of business when I bought my house was to wire it. Lot of work but worth the gigabit connection throughout. However, I have to agree about those power line adapters. I've installed them in a few people houses and they work really well.

As for Steam Streaming, I haven't had time to use it much, but I am loving it so far. I've been wanting something like this for years.

Archived