Dear Gamercide,

Siren

Over the past couple of weeks, I have received PM's from some members who are concerned about individuals who are signing up for the Giveaway that appear to only be here for the Giveaway.  I planned on addressing these PM's privately, however since I have received a few, I thought I would write a letter to the Gamercide community as a whole, not just the individuals who have sent me PM's.

When I first joined Gamercide it was years ago; back when we were still the ATC.  Pogre discovered my sarcastic and random ramblings on the Xbox Live forums and invited me to join the community after he thought I was going to get banned on the Xbox Live forums for telling people that they needed their shitty diapers changed and that my cat's shit smelled better than their thoughts.

I was accepted with open arms and it was like I found an internet family.  You all have heard my struggles and gave advice, you welcomed the birth of my second son with a surprise gift that was sent to my home, and even though there may have been some bitch fights here and there, one thing remained the same; we were all one big dysfunctional family.

Over my past several years here, I will admit this community is not what is use to be.  I've seen great members come and go.  The majority of those members cannot be replaced and neither can their rather opinionated, but caring thoughts.    I've seen members who only sign up to say "Hi...my name is...." and that's it; never to be heard from again.

During this time, Gamercide began to write articles that were of interest to gaming and adapted to social media.  We began to tweet and facebook and also stream our online gaming daily.  What was once a tiny little secret place called the "ATC", became this online community that finally found its' niche.  Gamercide evolved and as a whole.  We became better.

With change comes things that members of this community are not going to like.  We are going to get people who register for accounts due to our streaming or they randomly found us online.  We are going to get people who register for Gamercide, because of word of mouth from a member here or due to contests and this giveaway.  We will get people in here with ill intentions to cause nothing but trouble.  There is nothing that I can do about that.  It is what it is and I suggest if people here cannot understand that, then maybe Gamercide is not for you anymore.

The fact that I had to address this issue which I know has been brewing for years, made me wonder if this Giveaway should even happen.  I have debated this over the course of the past couple of weeks and have finally decided to cancel the giveaway this year.  I have received many complaints over the years about this giveaway and how it is ran.  I have dealt with everything under the sun regarding this giveaway.  Siren, why is it not done privately?  Siren, why can't you do a public giveaway and private giveaway?  Siren, why are you allowing non-active members to participate?  Siren, why are those people on the list when they are only here to win a prize?  Siren, I don't agree with your giveaway rules.  Siren, Siren, Siren, Siren…. Well Siren can officially say, that I have had enough.

To the members who have donated prizes, I want to first and foremost say thank you.  You are all more than welcome to have your own contests, give the prizes away during streaming, hold on to them for another time, or whatever you choose to do.

To the members who were participating, I am sorry that it was canceled.  There will be another giveaway that will be hosted by Dat, however it will not be a giveaway like this one; it will be a bit different.  He will make an announcement some time in the near future so be on the look out for his post.

Please know that this was an incredibly hard decision to make.  I have hosted this since Ban past the torch on to me years ago and I have enjoyed every minute of the organizing that comes with this giveaway.  My intentions are not to disappoint or anger any of you by doing this.  It has come down to the simple fact that everything that comes with this giveaway is not worth it anymore.  I am choosing not to pick sides on this matter, because to me with Gamercide there are no sides.  The Gamercide community is just that, a community.  There are no separate communities that exist within these walls, we are apart of one community.  We are all Gamercide; new members, old members, and viewers of our stream.  I have made my choice to keep it that way and not pick sides.  Now the question remains; what will you do?

~Chastity

"Siren"

Please do not send me any PM's regarding this.  They will not be read, but simply deleted.

I'm sorry you had to put up with all that, Siren. I know how already stressful hosting the giveaway can be. The one I hosted was a nightmare in many ways to organize. It was a lot of fun the day of the actual giveaway, but the before and after parts were just miserable. The after, especially. I was mailing physical prizes to members where the shipping cost 2-3 times more than the prize was worth and I couldn't send them all out right away due to my finances at the time.

I feel the need to defend a friend I sent here to sign up for the giveaway. She is always in our TeamSpeak with us, and if we are streaming to Twitch and she's online, she is always there supporting Gamercide. I asked her to sign up because she not only deserves to be a part of it, but also because registration (at the time) for the giveaway was dismally low. I can only hope she never finds out about this because she will think it's because of her, and she will most definitely take it personally. It wasn't even something she wanted to do. She did it as a favor to me and Gamercide. Other friends of mine and our streamers have also joined up recently. We cannot call ourselves a community if we go back to how ATC was ran. That was a private and somewhat entitled group. Gamercide is supposed to be the opposite.

Gamercide family, this is our fun place. This is where we go to deflate from the real world and what it throws at us. No one needs extra drama in their lives. No one. Always remember our mantra; If you're not having fun, what's the point?

I had a few prizes for the giveaway and I intend on still giving them away. Keep an eye out on the contest section. I'll hold mine directly after Dateranoth ends his.

Again, I'm very sorry that happened to you Siren. It makes me ashamed and angry. It's my opinion that you and Dateranoth should garner most, if not all of the respect coming from Gamercide members. You both do so damn much for us all and there's hardly ever any reward for all the time, effort and money you both put into this place. I really hope this doesn't keep you away from us.

The complaints are sickening to me. I can not fathom how in the unholy hell ANYONE would complain about this. This type of nonsense is why I took an extended leave of absence from this place. People need to put the past behind them and get over themselves. Running this giveaway is a huge time sink, a huge headache, and an overall pain in the ass. I've never run the giveaway but can imagine the sheer amount of work it is and Siren, all I can say is, I love you for everything you do here. It doesn't get said enough, but you and Dat ARE Gamercide.

Dat, you know I love you as well. I do not envy you and felt horrible asking you to take over the site when it became too much for me to handle. You came in and saved this place at a time when I was going to just close up shop and walk away. It is not an envious job dealing with the rigors of this place and it's a thankless job.

I had posted a long rant in this thread and deleted it. To be honest I wrote what I felt and then I thought about it after I posted it and it doesn't even matter. All I have to say is shame on the complainers, I could spell it out for them but there is no point anymore.

All I have to say is this...

THANK YOU Siren for all that you do here at Gamercide!!!

Running a community is hard enough without dealing with extra crap. I support your decision and honestly would have probably done the same.

Now lets lighten the mood with a cute pic of a Siberian Husky :-)

0r5nzxt.jpg

It seriously saddens and shames me that it came to this. Thank you so much Siren for doing all you could. I've been here for a long time as well, and I like the way our community is branching out into the media realm.... if even one person joined for a giveaway and contest and stayed, their potential to make our community stronger will always be worthwhile. I myself will sometimes drop off the radar for various reasons so I know how life can be. I thought you had it set up wonderfully too. Greed is one thing that can bring down any empire, I just hope we can keep it from eroding ours.

I'm one of those newbies and wanna thank Siren for taking the time in trying to put something like this together. Giveaways were the last thing I expected out of this site. I'm just here to chill and meet new people with the same interest.  For someone to bitch and moan about a giveaway that they're not even hosting is sad to hear and it's too bad that they ruined it for OUR community. 

Tuna

Posted · Hidden by green grenades, February 1, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by green grenades, February 1, 2014 - No reason given

I would like to withdraw my name from the giveaway Dat is having in the future, and I will out myself as a person who sent a very polite, short and very brief PM to Siren regarding Piemorphine (from my streaming experiences with him) even though I included I was not complaining in any way and it was the GC community's decision to do what they like.  That's it, and that's only because I felt he was not a member of GC or active in anyway.

I apologize that I've contributed to this and I do feel bad, and also a bit of shame for contributing to your stresses Siren.  I won't hide that this apparently is partly my fault, but I do not felt I "bitched" in any way or sort.  :(

I'm sorry GC family.

Posted · Hidden by Dateranoth, January 31, 2014 - The discussion was had and is finished. No reason to leave this here.
Hidden by Dateranoth, January 31, 2014 - The discussion was had and is finished. No reason to leave this here.

I would like to withdraw my name from the giveaway Dat is having in the future, and I will out myself as a person who sent a very polite, short and very brief PM to Siren regarding Piemorphine (from my streaming experiences with him) even though I included I was not complaining in any way and it was the GC community's decision to do what they like. That's it, and that's only because I felt he was not a member of GC or active in anyway.

I apologize that I've contributed to this and I do feel bad, and also a bit of shame for contributing to your stresses Siren. I won't hide that this apparently is partly my fault, but I do not felt I "bitched" in any way or sort. :(

I'm sorry GC family.

Are we uptight....yeah

Do we hate ya....nahhhh

Like my dad used to say..."Son if your gona be an asshole atleast when they call ya out be man enough to stand up"

P.S. Im still comun for the unicorns

Posted · Hidden by Dateranoth, January 31, 2014 - The discussion was had and is finished. No reason to leave this here.
Hidden by Dateranoth, January 31, 2014 - The discussion was had and is finished. No reason to leave this here.

I apologize that I've contributed to this and I do feel bad, and also a bit of shame for contributing to your stresses Siren.  I won't hide that this apparently is partly my fault, but I do not felt I "bitched" in any way or sort.  :(

All good man and my bad for my poor choice of words. It wasn't my place when I don't know the details of the PM's between you and Siren.

Just glad we could all air it out and move forward. 

Posted · Hidden by green grenades, February 1, 2014 - No reason given
Hidden by green grenades, February 1, 2014 - No reason given

All good man and my bad for my poor choice of words. It wasn't my place when I don't know the details of the PM's between you and Siren.

Just glad we could all air it out and move forward. 

You have no reason to apologize to me.  It is what it is, I contributed to the problem, and for that I need to admit it was partly my fault.  Again, I am the one who needs to apologize.

That's it, and that's only because I felt he was not a member of GC or active in anyway.

I think that's where the disconnect is. Siren is hosting this year's giveaway. As host, she gets to run the giveaway any way she wants to. If she had a problem with Pie or anyone else, she wouldn't have added their names to the list. Remember that GG, my son and I have been sending out messages to members of Gamercide we haven't seen in a long time, and even to our new friends we've met on the net that we thought would like our community.

This community is drying up. This was a chance to meet new people and maybe even some old friends we haven't seen in ages and hopefully pull them into/back our community.

As someone who raffled off games to complete strangers on livestream, I thought you'd understand. You were trying to get viewers for our channel. Well. the same thing applies here. I hope you understand that now.

I am well aware of the rules Siren put up in regards of this giveaway, but she obviously relaxed them. If she didn't, she wouldn't have added their names to the list. The registrations were very slow coming in and hardly anyone was signing up. I don't fault her at all for not updating the rules, either. She has a ton of things on her plate right now and she should be able to host this giveaway without anyone getting into her business about it. This happens each fricking year she hosts it. No one said jack squat when I was hosting it or when Banstyle was hosting it. I completely understand why she feels the way she does. People think she's a pushover and that baffles me. She is not one to be trifled with. No one, and I mean no one was going to host the annual giveaway. We wouldn't have had another if it wasn't for her. The busiest person on this forum did it for us. Not because she'll get anything out of it, but because she likes to put smiles on our faces and make sure we're happy.

We repaid that generosity by shitting on her event. I am saying we because I could have done more to help her out with this event and I didn't.

I hope this forces some of us to pause and reflect on how we treat each other sometimes. Siren is the backbone of this entire site and community. The next person who shits on her is getting a massive pile right back from me. That's a promise.

I understand your frustration PK, I do, but I didn't "shit" on anyone.  And I have no problem with giving away games to strangers.  If you knew the context of the brief message I sent maybe you'd understand.  And not a single time in any previous year have I ever said anything about the giveaway.  That's all.

So, in the end, I apologize again to Siren and everyone else, but I definitely didn't raise a stink or send her any long winded rant or anything.  :(  I'll leave it be now though.  I'm sorry for even bringing anything up, but I felt I owed it to the rest of the community here to admit that apparently I was part of this problem for her.

Guess you didn't understand. Obviously the PM's to her in relation to active members caused her some grief. Again, if she added them to the list, she was fine with them being in the giveaway. Her event and her decisions. People calling others into question when you're trying to organize a large event like this one is "stressful". And while you may or may not be one of the few who did it the past couple of years, they all add up. Now, if it were me, I'd take that as people don't think I'm qualified to host a giveaway. That I'm doing it all wrong, despite the founder of the giveaway saying as host, you can run it any which way you want to. Obviously you can't run it any which way you want if you always have members buzzing in your ear on why this person and that person shouldn't be in the giveaway.

It's an event. It's supposed to be fun. This right here is zero fun. It's embarrassing and ridiculous. Always one step forward and two steps back around here.

I definitely understand that PK, hence the apology to everyone, and especially Siren, for apparently contributing to that stress.

I know the apology is just words at this point, but it is heartfelt. 

Siren, I know I've been gone for a few years and all but that's life. A lot has changed since then. I just want to let you know as well as let the original crew know that I have your back on whatever decision you make regarding this issue. I can't claim too much here due to my inactivity but I do have a lot of respect and admiration for the people who have kept the site alive while I've been playing Army. I was stoked to come back.  When I messaged PK that I had some free time that I could give back to the Gamercide Ciommunnalitty and to be honest, I'm ready and willing to confront this problem head on. I know, at least in my Army experience, letting it fester like it was instead of pulling it out and facing it head on always leads to this kind of action. I am 100% behind anything the original ATC team is trying to accomplish. This is the kind of stuff that destroys the morale and cohesion you have as a group. We're all here for a purpose right? Make it your own, that's what Gamercide is about. Take ownership of it, believe in it, or however you want to accept responsibilty. 

Thanks for everything you do Siren.  I hope you will feel up to hosting the giveaway again in the future. I support your decision on this, and I will take it over as we discussed.  To everyone else, I will post the final entries tomorrow and what I plan to do for the Giveaway.  Anyone who wants to enter from this point can PM me. You have one day left.

You crazy kids haven't changed a bit! :) I thought the giveaway was a perfect time to reenter the gamercide life, because usually it's a happy time.  I had run the giveaway in the past so I know how stressful it is and how many complainers you have to deal with, and I dealt with a LOT of them thought I never told anyone. Anyone who would take it on more than once (like Siren) should be given a damn medal! Sorry haters don't appreciate the effort Siren, I sure do!

Archived