Nvidia G-Sync

Dateranoth

So, I think I've discussed it before, but here it is again.  Nvidia G-Sync DIY kits are finally available. So you can buy an Asus VG248QE monitor, and install the kit yourself.  Currently would make the total cost around $472. Overlord Computers is selling them for 489.99 plus shipping.  So, not a whole lot of savings for DIY. 

Here's a summary of what it does:

NVIDIA G-SYNC is groundbreaking new display technology that delivers the smoothest and fastest gaming experience ever. G-SYNC’s revolutionary performance is achieved by synchronizing display refresh rates to the GPU in your GeForce GTX-powered PC, eliminating screen tearing and minimizing display stutter and input lag. The result: scenes appear instantly, objects look sharper, and gameplay is super smooth, giving you a stunning visual experience and a serious competitive edge.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync

I'm really close to pulling the trigger.  There will be other g-sync enabled monitors hitting the market later this year, but I have some gift cards left from Xmas that could make this a great deal.  So, should I go ahead and buy the kit and the monitor?

So, to update.  I'm really liking the kit. I wish I could find the right words to really explain it.  It just works.  If you turn off Vsync and have a high refresh rate monitor, and ignore tearing, you will get a close idea.  It makes me notice other imperfections in the games I've been playing.  It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to a smooth gaming experience (sans tearing) I've had since my last CRT.

So, to update.  I'm really liking the kit. I wish I could find the right words to really explain it.  It just works.  If you turn off Vsync and have a high refresh rate monitor, and ignore tearing, you will get a close idea.  It makes me notice other imperfections in the games I've been playing.  It's not perfect, but it's the closest thing to a smooth gaming experience (sans tearing) I've had since my last CRT.

I'm somewhat confused actually.  In a nut-shell this simply gives a vsync type refresh without it?  

So, if you don't use G-sync, the only advantage I can see for the mod is a one button lightboost (it's called something else, but basically the same thing) .  You can't use it with G-sync.  G-sync on is like V-sync as in no tearing, but also like no v-sync as in no stuttering.  So, the best I can explain it is like before. G-sync is smooth like no V-sync, but tear free like with V-sync.  Plus it doesn't have the half refresh cut out that you get from V-sync either, so overall higher frames compared to vsync (most of the time. There is some loss on the high end)

So, if you don't use G-sync, the only advantage I can see for the mod is a one button lightboost (it's called something else, but basically the same thing) .  You can't use it with G-sync.  G-sync on is like V-sync as in no tearing, but also like no v-sync as in no stuttering.  So, the best I can explain it is like before. G-sync is smooth like no V-sync, but tear free like with V-sync.  Plus it doesn't have the half refresh cut out that you get from V-sync either, so overall higher frames compared to vsync (most of the time. There is some loss on the high end)

Kewl, I understand.  I use vsync on everything.  I absolutely cannot stand screen tearing.  However I'll probably wait for some time before adopting it (gsync).  I just spent almost a grand on two identical 3d, 120Hz Benq monitors.  If I'm going to spend any money right now it'll probably go towards updating my streaming pc.  Actually what needs immediate attention is my watercooling loop.  I've been putting off streamlining the tubing.  I need to do a neater job with routing, and get rid of the yellowish, clear tubing I currently have.  Since it was my first time, I didn't rinse-out the rad and almost immediately noticed the clear tubing was yellowing.

I got pretty bad discoloration from leeching the first couple of times, but the tubing I used in the last rebuild is working great. Pretty much zero discoloration. I'd have to look up the name. Lol. Don't even remember. I think I still have ten feet of it for some reason.

Seems pretty pricey for the Ben Qs. They 27in or 1440p or something? Either way, it'd be worth your while to wait for a better variety. One of the main reasons I jumped on board is because I was using a cheap end 27in LG. Not horrible but nothing special.

Nope, only 24" @ 1080p.  They are the XL2420T.  At the time they were the first monitor specifically for competitive first-person shooters with flicker-free technology.  Plus they both support nvidia's 3d technology.   I believe I paid something like $390 per monitor.  About your tubing, I'm assuming you still have the clear?  

Found it. I originally used high grade Tygon, but still got leaching. This last time I switched to:

PrimoChill PrimoFlex Advanced LRT Tubing 1/2"ID x 3/4" OD - Clear

Haven't had any leaching so far. Keep in mind, you can take it off and clean it instead of buying new.

Certainly a nice case. I've had the same one for at least 7 years now. Hell, I just found the invoice, I've had this motherboard and half of the RAM for almost 5 years. Just upgraded the CPU to the 970 when I did the watercooling rebuild. Hell, even that's been a while now. 

Archived