Next-Gen Medieval RPG Promises No Fantasy; Needs Publisher

Siren

A Czech studio which is headed up by former Mafia series designer Daniel Vávra is trying to find a home for his open world, next-gen medieval RPG which he claims has no fantasy, just realistic interpretations of the historic time period.

According to Eurogamer, Vávra had previously announced the idea for Kingdom Come: Deliverance which runs on CryEngine 3, a year ago with hopes of publishing the title on next-gen consoles and PC sometime in 2015.

"Deliverance promises no magic, high fantasy or mythical overtones - it draws its inspiration instead from historically authentic characters, themes, and warfare," claimed a press release that was sent to Eurogamer. "The team's ambition for Kingdom Come: Deliverance is growing this ever-maturing sandbox genre in a believable, real-world context and scope. To that end, we're harnessing CryEngine 3, non-linear narrative, varied freedom in character progression, and a consequence-laden living world in ways that have never been possible until now."

The only problem is, the Czech based studio; Warhorse Studios is facing rejection from companies such as an American company who Warhorse claims in a blog post told them that "they didn’t think the game would fly with Americans." Warhorse went on to explain, "We’ve faced rejection from other companies, too, of course, but that one was perhaps the most painful."

The rejection continued with "One investment banker from London told us in no uncertain terms that PC and consoles are dead, and if we're not making a free-to-play MMO for iPad, we've got no chance," claimed Warhorse in the same blog post.

The idea behind Kingdom Come: Deliverance did find some short success with a private investor; Zdenek Bakala who happens to be one of them richest men in the Czech Republic donating $3-$4 million dollars towards the project.

Warhorse Studios did release a teaser trailer for Kingdom Come: Deliverance, followed by a gameplay trailer which you can find on Eurogamer.

via Eurogamer and Warhorse Studios

Click here to view the article

The rejection continued with "One investment banker from London told us in no uncertain terms that PC and consoles are dead, and if we're not making a free-to-play MMO for iPad, we've got no chance," claimed Warhorse in the same blog post.

That last bit REALLY friggin makes me a sad panda.  F2P MMO on an iPad?  Ugh.  I'm so sick of the flood of crappy mobile games. 

PC's have supposedly been "dying" for years now and yet there is a huge resurgence.  Not only that, but the new next-gen consoles have literally taken common PC components to use as their core hardware making a greater synergy between the two. 

Fuck all these mysterious stakeholders who withhold investments from possibly quality new IPs.  I don't want another Call of Doody LXXIV. 

I am very much interested in this game and I hope that Warhorse finds a publisher for it.  The games industry needs to accept something different like this game and present it to the public to give us a chance to say "Fail" or "Love".  I hate that these companies are being our voices when the majority of the stuff on the market now is trash or is "been there done that".  It is frustrating and developers and publishers need to take note that we love variety!

I agree absolutely with both of you (and Siren, I definitely would love to play this game too.  Sounds super awesome!)

The bean counters are pretty much what ruin everything.  Take Mechwarrior Online for example (a game most of you know I play obsessively).  I "founded" the game on Kickstarter and now close to 2 years later the game really isn't what it was originally pitched to be. 

Numerous times in "developer updates" and whatnot they've reference their "stakeholders" (monetary backers or whatever who pretty much financed the game and studio) and how they've had to pitch ideas off them that either get implemented or thrown away.  A lot of what they originally intended has been thrown, because apparently these "stakeholders" don't feel like it would appeal to the mass market. 

Pretty much they have to this point turned it into a generic arcade shooter for the moment rather than a full blown giant stompy mech simulation game like it should be. 

But the problem with this, and for Warhorse, is that people don't want to finance speculation and maybes.  They're looking for the next Call of Duty and a sense of "safeness". 

They're so out of touch.  I just read an article also about how Capcom has been changing Resident Evil because the original market for the game now is in the late 30's-40's demographic and they keep wanting to attract new audiences.  So in a nutshell they destroyed the whole premise of survival horror just to appeal to the casual kids crowd who need a bajillion weapons, unlimited ammo and non-stop everything going bang boom bang explodypants. 

Bah.  I feel like I'm getting old.

Bah.  I feel like I'm getting old.

I remember when games didn't explain what you had to do. You had to figure shit out on your own.

You also started the game, had 3 lives and little-to-no continues. Game over and you started from the begining.

Now I can get an acheivement for simply putting the game in the disk tray.

Definitely Kira.  I remember those days well.  Of course not all of the games were amazing back then and quite a few were flops and/or extraordinarily simple. 

I still remember playing racing cars in Pole Position on the Atari with my older brother and my parents.  *sighs*

Definitely Kira.  I remember those days well.  Of course not all of the games were amazing back then and quite a few were flops and/or extraordinarily simple. 

I still remember playing racing cars in Pole Position on the Atari with my older brother and my parents.  *sighs*

Sonic 2 Emerald Hills on the Genesis.

I probably played that level more times than I care to admit.