EA and Tiger Woods End Their 15 Year Relationship

Siren

Gamers who have been living out their pro golfing fantasies through the Tiger Woods series, Tiger Woods PGA Tour are going to be shedding a tear. EA and Tiger Woods announced that they have parted ways after a 15 year relationship.

While EA and Tiger Woods have severed their relationship, EA still retains the rights to the PGA tour series, they just cannot use Tiger Woods name, in game character, and put him on the cover. EA does plan on using PGA Tour in the name on future titles including the announcement of a next gen PGA Tour game that will be on the PS4, Xbox One, and mobile devices.

According to market tracking company NPD Group, the Tiger Woods series has sold close to $771 million dollars since it's start. Tiger Woods agent Mark Steinberg said that it is hard to find a game series like the PGA Tour series outside of John Madden.

"We had an incredible run. Outside of [John] Madden, you would be hard pressed to find a sports figure that meant as much to a video game company as Tiger meant to EA. But times are changing and EA had to re-evaluate the partnership and frankly so did we."

According to ESPN, Steinberg also claimed that he was in negotiations with another company regarding Tiger Woods "video game rights".

via ESPN and Gamespot

Click here to view the article

In my opinion I think it's about time Tiger got dumped.  There are a lot of golfers out there right now, and many doing better than Tiger.  Not sure I like the generic "PGA Tour" title but I don't know what their other options are.

Doesn't matter much to me though, I'd rather golf for real :D

• 2 weeks later...