PC Master Race?

Sheck

As everyone says PC is the master above everything . Honestly , im really tired of consololol ... Im sure i'll buy one of the next generation systems for exclusives , but rather than that I think it's time I invest in a PC . I've seen the graphics and they are just amazing . They blow me away .... Not really to big on the FPS but ima MW3 fanatic . Also , other games in particular which I would love to give a shot ! Only , question I have is money wise ? I , really do not want to spend alot on a maxed out PC ... Some fellow mates have told me paying/building my own is a greater way to save money . Any help ?

I'd try to push it as close to the $800 mark as possible.  I'm sure Dat or someone else will be in the thread at some point to help you out with most of this.  You're probably looking at an AMD processor to keep costs down, and I'd recommend an Nvidia graphics card myself (I just bought a GTX760 I'm happy with for around $220).  The graphics card is going to be the biggest chunk of change I would imagine. 

Also, do you already have a monitor to use?  They can be kind of pricey if you don't already.

I'd try to push it as close to the $800 mark as possible.  I'm sure Dat or someone else will be in the thread at some point to help you out with most of this.  You're probably looking at an AMD processor to keep costs down, and I'd recommend an Nvidia graphics card myself (I just bought a GTX760 I'm happy with for around $220).  The graphics card is going to be the biggest chunk of change I would imagine. 

Also, do you already have a monitor to use?  They can be kind of pricey if you don't already.

I've heard about the GTX Windforce . The 780 is beast man , but the 760 is just as good . But , looking at monitors I would say im interested in a 24'' inch . Nothing to big you know .

24" monitor is going to run you around $180ish+

GTX760 around $230ish

Thats over half your budget right there.

So let's be conservative

$80ish for RAM

$60ish for case

$180ish for processor

(already at $730ish)

then extras like DVD drive, network card, etc needs to be thrown in the mix.

24" monitor is going to run you around $180ish+

GTX760 around $230ish

Thats over half your budget right there.

So let's be conservative

$80ish for RAM

$60ish for case

$180ish for processor

(already at $730ish)

then extras like DVD drive, network card, etc needs to be thrown in the mix.

I'll really be spending at least a good a thousand and some change i figured .

Many people get thrown off by the initial price of their first gaming rig. It's a good chunk of change, but so is a new console. The difference there is, PC's are modular. When you finally do need an upgrade, you're not buying an entire PC again. You're just updating the pieces you need.

Plus there's the freedom of PC. People give me hell for saying that, but it's true. You can mod a game on the PC and not have to worry about being banned from an online service like LIVE or PSN. Modding makes older games still fun to play. You're also no longer paying for those online services just to play with friends on a network. Then of course, PC games are typically cheaper than console games.

Glad you're taking the leap, but I urge you to consider getting the best you can from the start. If that means putting off the purchase to save a bit more, it'll be worth it.

Many people get thrown off by the initial price of their first gaming rig. It's a good chunk of change, but so is a new console. The difference there is, PC's are modular. When you finally do need an upgrade, you're not buying an entire PC again. You're just updating the pieces you need.

Plus there's the freedom of PC. People give me hell for saying that, but it's true. You can mod a game on the PC and not have to worry about being banned from an online service like LIVE or PSN. Modding makes older games still fun to play. You're also no longer paying for those online services just to play with friends on a network. Then of course, PC games are typically cheaper than console games.

Glad you're taking the leap, but I urge you to consider getting the best you can from the start. If that means putting off the purchase to save a bit more, it'll be worth it.

That is what I was thinking Peek . One of my friends saved at least 2k on his first gaming PC and he said it was worth it . & I agree with the whole network . Consoles have gone too far with the paying of XBL & etc .  But , I still have it . I think it is time I took it to another level . If you do not mind me asking , how was your experience buying your first PC ?

My very first PC was a laptop and it was fine for its time. Then I built my first desktop and it too was fine for its time. After that, I had a few more laptops (mistake), with the final laptop's videocard frying. I could have paid a lot of money to have it fixed, but by that point, I was done with laptops. I wanted something I could fix/upgrade myself. Since I was without a computer for a few weeks, I just ordered a nice XPS instead of putting one together. I needed something fast and I didn't want to wait for all the pieces to come in and then build it.

Haven't had a problem with it and I've even upgraded a few parts on it already (videocard and soundcard).

Check out this site. I have never bought from them but might be a good thing to look at to get an idea of prices:

http://www.ibuypower.com/home.aspx

Here is a playlist of this guy on youtube who has all these builds planned out for different price points. He updates them regularly:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLADA5B91FFC11D251

I am doing what PK said. I am saving to get a better PC from the start so I don't have to update for awhile. I used to be PC gamer exclusively back in the day and I will be getting back into it soon.

Make a budget and start with the graphics card. Then I would go from there to get the rest of the components. Going AMD with processor and GPU will save you probably about $200.

Also watch sales. If I were you, if you can wait it out until the week of thanksgiving you can get some pretty good deals on components. I'm waiting on that time for a new keyboard.

Yeah. If you give me a budget I can help you out. My recommendation is to future proof. Buy a large enough power supply and grab a fairly good CPU and motherboard. We have reached a point where CPUs are pretty damn nice now. I have had the same mobo/CPU for 5 years now. If you buy a good one now you can bank on it living almost or as long as the next console life span.

As for graphics cards, you will likely need to spend $200 at least for a good one.

On the other hand. You can build on a smaller budget and it will still last a long time. The trick is to keep in mind the games graphics settings.

You will buy something nice now and years go buy and you won't be able to max out as many games, but if you continue to compare the graphics to consoles you will realize the PC can last a lot longer than you would think.

Archived